Air stone tube slight corrosion

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kevfiz

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi I hope i am posting In the right section. I put an Air stone in my tank one week ago and I have noticed the tubing inside the tank is corroding slightly. Is this going to be harmful to the fish?

Vinyl air stone tubing does not corrode although algae may build up inside the tubing. If algae build up is excessive you may at that point consider replacing it. Tubing is fairly inexpensive.

Last edited:
Ok will the Air stone irratate the fish at night when it comes to sleeping?

The fish get used to the bubbling air stone.. no need to worry.

I was thinking more the noise of it than the actual bubbles. Is it ok to cover my tank at night with a blanket even if the timer of light has not switched of yet? Where I live it does not really get dark at night around this time of year.

Window shades would be better to block out any light in the room For oxygen exchange it may be best to leave off the blanket I think. The slight noise of an airstone won't bother the fish at night.

Last edited:
I have window blinds but it's still very bright.when you say oxygen exchange what do you mean exactly?

Air and thus oxygen enters the water via the surface. A blanket may slightly lower that exchange. Where do you live? If it gets fairly dark at night that may be ok. In nature, the moonlight dimly lights up rivers and lakes. Fish need several hours of darkness. A very thin blanket may be fine to use if necessary though for just overnight. If you have aeration through an airstone or via a trickle from the filter the tank probably gets enough air exchange.

Hi again fish manic. This is the Air flow of my tank. I am still worried it will annoy fish at night when trying to sleep. I don't have a vaulve to control air flow. If you still think it's ok for fish I will be happy with that.

Nice bubble wall . Should be fine . The fish get used to it.

Thanks. That's great. one other thing. Is it ok to leave the Air pump running constantly? Just worried it will over heat someday

Yes.. my air pumps have been running nonstop for years. I run sponge filters as well as airstones in my 3 tanks. You would need a splitter to do that or a two outlet air pump. How big is your tank. What model tank filter are you running?

Last edited:
My tank is 2.5 foot. I think it's 75 litres. I have a ehime in my tank. The guy in the aqurium shop said it's the rolls Royce of internal filters. Seems to do a good job

Most air pumps have a small screw in the side that holds the air chamber in the pump. If you loosen the screw a small amount, it will reduce the amount of air going into the tank.

Alternatively, get a plastic T-piece and tap from a pet shop and fit it into the airline just after it comes off the pump. Then put a length of airline (about 12 inches long) on the spare outlet. This short length of airline helps to muffle the noise of the air as it gets pumped into the room.

Ok that's great. Also how much darkness is enough each night for the fish? I don't think I want to cover tank like I had suggested when we where chatting last night

Most reactions

trending

Back