Aiptasia

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nick87

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all.

I am setting up a new tank and made the stupid mistake of not thoroughly checking some S/H rock i bought, turns out it has a large population of aiptasia :<

I have been keeping marines for a few years but i have never had them before, how would you go about destroying them ?

The tank is empty except the rock and i am not fussed about losing all the life on the rock if it means no aiptasia.

I would i be best to let the tank cycle and add a group of Berghia Nudibranch?

Any advice would be great.

Nick

I've heard peppermint shrimp are a good natural way. But this is quite controversial as some 'dont work' :lol:

Another method I have heard of is using soildering iron.

Also squirting 5ml of lemon juice or boiling water into them can work.

I've heard peppermint shrimp are a good natural way. But this is quite controversial as some 'dont work' :lol:

Another method I have heard of is using soildering iron.

Also squirting 5ml of lemon juice or boiling water into them can work.

Thanks for the reply, i have had a look at the above methods, the peps look like a good idea if they decide to eat them.

With the joes juice, lemon ides i don't think i'd ever get them all.

Defo, burn the :devil: take the rock out of the tank and have the satifaction of hearing them implode!!! Peppermints only work on small ones and sometimes dont work at all, joes juice, aptaisiax sometimes work but they often come back!!

As you only have rock in your tank, burn em!!

Seffie x

ps a kitchen blow torch is also good :devil:

Defo, burn the :devil: take the rock out of the tank and have the satifaction of hearing them implode!!! Peppermints only work on small ones and sometimes dont work at all, joes juice, aptaisiax sometimes work but they often come back!!

As you only have rock in your tank, burn em!!

Seffie x

ps a kitchen blow torch is also good :devil:

It seems burning is a popular way to get them :)

The only problem with it is all my rock is drilled and in place with acrylic rods and would be a pita to take apart.

Do Berghia take the big ones? Also my lfs has aip eating filefish in, i could reserve this?

Peppermint shrimp completely killed all mine, have to make sure they are true peps and lower feeding for a bit too.

soldering iron also works, stinks nasty though

the nudids take some feeding up as the big aips can actually kill small ones.

Hmm maybe i can have a tank full of aip eating stock :lol:

I am feeling a bit pissed with myself for not checking the rock properly, i have setup loads of tanks and never had this problem before, guess i know to buy new or check properly next time.

Peppermint shrimp completely killed all mine, have to make sure they are true peps and lower feeding for a bit too.

soldering iron also works, stinks nasty though

the nudids take some feeding up as the big aips can actually kill small ones.

The peppermints seem like a good idea because they will be useful after the aips have gone.

I have heard they will it the nudi's and possibly corals?

Bergia are tiny and take ages to eat them, you need quite a few for lots of them :blink: i'm sure the aptaisia i had ate mine!!!!

If it has rods in I would go the Ap X way

Seffie x

guess i know to buy new next time.

:p isn't all live rock old

Seffie x

Bergia are tiny and take ages to eat them, you need quite a few for lots of them :blink: i'm sure the aptaisia i had ate mine!!!!

If it has rods in I would go the Ap X way

Seffie x

The for all the help everyone.

I think i may chuck a few nudi's in once it's cycled, if they don't work i'll try the shrimps, and if that still doesn't work i'll strip the tank down.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back