Aggressive dangerous dog in my neighborhood.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Itā€™s sad your law enforcement isnā€™t better. :(

Iā€™m just saying, if that dog came into my yard and killed my cat or severely injured my dog, I would have shot it dead right then and there. At that point, the dog is on your property, ā€œdamagingā€ your property. That what I/my dad would have done.

In the mean time (until your friend gets there) keep your dog/animals in doors. If you see the dog in your property again, go inside, donā€™t try to shoo it off. It will most likely get mad.
I have been keeping my dogs inside and in the fenced in back yard. Strange I have not seen the dog for a couple of days now, but I tell you that a load of 12 gauge double ought buck and that dog want be bothering anyone again. But only if I catch it on my property.

I used to be able to take my dogs walking every afternoon, but for the past few days I have not. For years late at night I would let them use the rest of my property to go out, and nothing ever happened, but not doing that any more.

Here is a picture of little Rollo, may he rest in peace, I loved you boy.

Road & Rolo.jpg

I have been keeping my dogs inside and in the fenced in back yard. Strange I have not seen the dog for a couple of days now, but I tell you that a load of 12 gauge double ought buck and that dog want be bothering anyone again. But only if I catch it on my property.

I used to be able to take my dogs walking every afternoon, but for the past few days I have not. For years late at night I would let them use the rest of my property to go out, and nothing ever happened, but not doing that any more.

View attachment 124852
He's a beuatiful dog. He had a good life. I'm so sorry this happened. I will be praying for you.

First up, sorry to hear about your dogs being attacked and one being killed. That shouldn't happen and there are laws to prevent this. Every state has a dog act, which lists the laws relating to dogs. These laws apply in the country just like in the city. There are no exceptions.

Dogs must remain on their property at all times. It doesn't matter if you live in the city or the country, they must remain on their property at all times. The only exception is if they are on a lead in a public place with someone who is holding the lead and capable or controlling the dog. The other exception is a designated dog exercise area, which allows dogs to be let off the lead in a public place. However, those dogs must still remain under control and be within a reasonable distance of their owner.

Dogs must be under the control of their owners whenever they are not on their property.

Dogs must not attack people, other animals or livestock. Dogs that do attack other animals and livestock are considered wild/ feral dogs and can be shot if they are on your property threatening you, or your pets/ livestock.

If a dog threatens you or someone on your property or in a public place, you are allowed to defend yourself with whatever force is deemed necessary to prevent injury to you or those being threatened.

As an elderly person, if a large dog comes onto your property and threatens you or your pets, and the dogs have already done this and killed one of your pets, you are fully entitled to defend yourself by shooting the aggressive animal and taking the owner to court for injuries or damages sustained during the attack. This is assuming you have a fire arms license and a legally obtained fire arm that is registered with the relevant authorities.

Even if you don't own a fire arm or a license for fire arms, you are still allowed to defend yourself with whatever force you deem necessary to protect yourself and your pets/ livestock.

Now if you were a 20 year old male that was 6 foot tall and built like Arnold Schwarzenegger, and a chihuahua came up and barked at you, and you kicked or hit or bashed that dog, it would be excessive force and you would be charged with animal cruelty.

But as an elderly person being threatened by two large dogs, that have already killed one of your pets on your property, most people would say you can use whatever means you see fit to protect yourself. If that means using an unregistered fire arm or a cross bow or even an axe to defend yourself from a large breed of dog that has come onto your property and is threatening you or your pets, that would be considered acceptable force in the eyes of the law.

---------------------
If the local Police/ Sherriff won't get involved, the council should because the dog act is normally enforced by local government (council).

All dog attacks should be reportedly immediately and if a pet is injured or killed by another dog, the council or cops have the right to seize the offending animal and have it destroyed if it's considered dangerous.

Your Sherriff and council can both be involved in this matter, as can animal control. But it needs to be dealt with by them. You need to file a complaint with the council rangers, animal control and the Police/ Sherriff and make sure they do something about this. If they don't, kick up a stink and write to state and federal governments and let them know, and contact the press.

If nobody will do anything, contact a civil lawyer and get them to investigate the matter.

---------------------
I have been attacked by over 50 dogs during my life, and I have had one of my dogs declared dangerous by a corrupt council who fabricated a dangerous dog declaration because I served the CEO of the council with legal papers over a council tree damaging my car.

Dogs that attack and kill other animals do not stop with just one attack. They continue attacking people and killing animals, be it pet dogs, birds, wild animals, etc. They do not change their behaviour and it takes a very responsible owner to retrain and control their dog/s after it has started killing. Your neighbours are not responsible owners because they let their dogs wander at large instead of keeping them confined to their own property.

---------------------
You have every right to be on your property and feel safe and not get attacked, threatened or molested by anybody's pet that is roaming the streets unattended. Likewise your pets have every right to be on your property and not be threatened, attacked or killed by uncontrolled animals that are roaming the streets and coming onto your property uninvited.

---------------------
Keep written notes including the day, date and time the animals come onto your property, where they went on your property, and what they do on your property.

eg: Thursday 17 December 2020, 11:17am.
Two large dogs came onto my property and walked up to my front door. One of them urinated on my door and the other crapped on my lawn. Both dogs wandered around my front lawn for approximately 5 minutes before leaving my property.
I was on my front lawn when they first came onto my property and I went inside when they came towards me, or came onto my property.
One dog was light brown and had short pointed ears that stood up.
The second dog was primarily black with a white patch on its side. This dog had big floppy ears.
Neither dog was wearing a collar, or the brown dog had a red collar and the black dog might have had a collar, I couldn't tell.

---------------------
Get photographs and video of the dogs every time they come onto your property. Include date & time stamp on the pictures if the camera has this feature. This will give the authorities positive identification of the dogs and prove they are coming onto your land. And if you have a date/ time stamp on the picture, it provides that information too.

Include some pictures and video showing a larger area around the dogs to prove that there are no people anywhere near the dogs. But also get pictures and video of the dogs so they fill up the picture frame to give clear positive identification of the animals.

If you can, get a motion sensor camera and set it up on your property. This will photograph or record video of anything that triggers the motion sensor. If you get video of the dogs coming onto your property, that is enough to force the council to act. If you get video of the dog/s threatening you or your pets, that is enough to have the animals declared dangerous and potential destroyed.

---------------------
Have you reported the death of your Dachshund to the Police/ Sherriff and council?
If not, then do it. And if you have a vet report for that incident and the other dog that was injured, send a copy of those reports to those departments.

Keep pestering the relevant authorities until they do something about this. You should not feel threatened, intimidated or concerned about strange dogs coming onto your property and harming you or your pets.

Last edited:
If dogs came onto @Colin_T 's property, he would catch and eat them. He already eats cats that come on his property and dogs probably taste similar to cats. Hot dogs have a whole new meaning to @Colin_T .

Last edited:

View attachment 124852
RIP Rollo, I'm so sorry this happened to you. RIP:rip:

We live on a ten acre block, the neighbors dogs are on our property all the time. I am about to get dog control in as they are killing our native flightless birds. It is a hard decision as I don't want to fall out with our neighbors. I just wish people would be responsible for their pets.

@Utar I am so very sorry that this happened and Rollo had to pay for another person's negligence with his life. I am sorry for your loss.

I think your concerns for your safety are very valid, and I hope more than anything that your neighbors are willing to discuss when you and Harold visit.

I do advise that you have your security cameras set up before you go visit, since retaliation may be immediate in the worst case scenario.

We have used a brand called Arlo, it was about $200 at Best buy for two cameras if i recall (this was a few years ago), and you can opt in to a subscription where they save your videos for you. It took us a little while to get the cameras set at the right "sensitivity" (they only record when they detect motion) but otherwise they seemed to work pretty well. If you get the ones that run on battery be prepared to charge them pretty often.

I sincerely hope that this does not mean the end of peaceful neighborhood existence for you, and I will keep my fingers crossed that you are able to resolve this amicably with them.

Take care of yourself.

I really want to thank all of you for you support and advice, especially Colin_T for his advice he has good points, it means a lot to me. Harold will be here today, so we are going to talk to the neighbors about their dogs. I will give them a chance to do something and contain their dogs if not then I will go to the police. I am going to install cameras as some of you have suggested, but I need to study what is best setup for me.

Again thanks to all of you, your support in this really has helped me through a bad moment in my life. Sadie is recovering really well from her injuries. Poor girl got her right hind leg tore up pretty badly, and she hasn't used it until today when she is tenderly trying to put weight on it again. The Vet gave me pain killers and antibiotic meds to give her everyday. I have a spray to keep the wounds clean that I use several times a day.

So far Rosco is has not been attacked, but he is still a puppy (a very big puppy) and just a sweet heart of a dog. I rescued him from the side of the road. He had been abandoned and poor little guy was starving with fleas etc eating him up when I found him. He is now a very healthy and active dog. He is going to be big after he is fully grown, so I will have to watch after him. But Rosco so far as shown not a bit of aggression toward people or other animals. I scolded him when Sadie was hurt telling Rosco he is supposed to look after his little sister, poor guy didn't have a clue why I was scolding him, so I didn't press him to hard. Just angry at the moment.

Hopefully everything will work out for the best.

I talked to the owners of the dog today. Harold came and went before he had a chance to go with me, so I went alone. I was very nice and asked them to please contain their dogs because they where harming and killing other people's pets, including mine. The father acted as if he could not understand me, but his daughter who looked to be around sixteen spoke English and translated for me. The girl was refusing to believe it was her dogs doing all this trying to put the blame on some other dogs that I have never seen. But I told her that it was me that saw her dog kill my little dog and injury my other dog on my property. She finally said her father would tie up the dog and not allow it to roam free any more. So I will see what happens.

Again thank you all so much for your support, here I need to vent and you all listened.

Fingers crossed that they will follow through! I guess that probably went as well as it could have....

Are you still planning on setting up security cameras?
Yes I am, but I have to spend my money judiciously because I am living on a fixed income right now. But hopefully that will change in 2021 if the economy heats back up and I go back to work.

I would set up cameras anyway just in case another dog, or the original ones come back.

As for the father allegedly not understanding you. I would take that with a grain of salt.

Some years ago I was cycling to the shop when a Chinese girl pulled out of a side street and nearly ran me over. This happened half a dozen more times over the next couple of weeks and she pulled out of the same street each time. She knew I was there and each time she did it she would wave at me. One day I had a camera on my bike and she pulled out in front of me and it was all recorded. I followed her back to her house, which was just up the road and confronted her. She dribbled on in Chinese pretending not to understand me. Eventually I held up the camera and said I recorded the whole incident and will be giving the footage to the Police. I then got on my bike and was about to head off when she said "Hang on mate, wait, wait mate, I'm sorry", all said in perfect Australian even with an Aussie accent.

My neighbours tried the same crap with the council. The neighbours were running a mechanics business from their garage in a suburban neighbourhood, which is illegal. I reported it to the council because there were cars all over our lawn and the neighbour's lawn and cars running constantly. The council went to investigate and the neighbours dribbled on in Chinese pretending not to understand. The council told me and I said they spoke English because they had spoken to me. The council said there was nothing more they could do without an interpreter, so I spoke to the people at the dog park and got a friend who was Chinese to translate. Turns out my friend knew my neighbours and knew they spoke English and he told the council the neighbours were full of it when they said they didn't understand English. Anyway, my friend went with the council and as soon as my neighbour saw them he started going on in Chinese. My friend told him to speak English otherwise the cops would be called. Well low and behold, my neighbour suddenly spoke and understood perfect English.

So whilst the father may claim he doesn't understand, there's a good chance he understands something, especially if he has been in the country for more than a few months. Either that or he's an illegal immigrant who hasn't sat for a residency test, where he must speak and understand basic English to pass it.

Most reactions

Back