Aggressive dangerous dog in my neighborhood.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Utar

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I wanted to let my emotions calm down for a couple days before coming here to ask for advice. I had three very sweet and wonderful dogs which are like my children. I live in a rural neighborhood which unlike the city does not have leash laws etc. There is a house not to far from me that has two dogs and one of them is very large, I don't know what breed it is, but the dog is huge. These two dogs keep coming up on my property late at night. Yes these dogs are not contained but allowed to roam free.

My dogs for the most part are contained in my back yard, but sometimes late at night I let them go out the front to use the bathroom and for years never had a problem. That is until the neighbor's large dog killed my Rollo a Dachshund. Poor Rollo I found him outside in the yard gutted. This dog also hurt Sadie really bad by biting her rear hind leg, and this all happened in one night. My other dog Rosco is ok. I took Sadie to the Vet the next day and she will be ok but the Vet bill cost me $127.00 dollars.

I ask the Vet what I can do about this and he told me to be a good neighbor and go and talk to the people about their dog and would they please keep them contained. I don't know about this, and would like to have someone with me when I do this. I am elderly and live by myself so I don't have anyone near me that I can ask to help me go and talk to the people about their dog, and I hate to go by self, because I don't know what will happen.

Right now I am scared to even let my remaining two dogs, Sadie and Roscoe out of my sight. I know what this sounds like but I was so angry that for the last couple of nights I have tried to set up a trap for those dogs waiting with my shotgun to see if they come back on my property. I wanted to kill them. But I have calmed down since then. I am just really worried about talking to the strangers without someone with me. I could call the Sheriff but then again this might start something that may escalate into a really bad situation.

I think your vet has good advice, maybe the vet even knows the owners and can intercede for you. Ultimately you can escalate if going the good neighbor route doesn't work..you do have Animal control an dlocal law enforcement too. But what ever road you take, please document everything, a who what where and how for every action or incident you take. This is a CYA action and may prove helpful should it end up in the lawyer's hands...good and I hope things work out....you can also try the kindness and good neighbor route of just dropping by with a plate of cookies and coffee and having a nice chat, maybe with a fellow neighbor or vet for support. bear in mind this is a carrot and stick approach, but you keep a BIG stick (animal control or law enforcement) in your back pocket and never show it unless required.

I don't know what breed it is, but the dog is huge.

That is until the neighbor's large dog killed my Rollo a Dachshund. Poor Rollo I found him outside in the yard gutted. This dog also hurt Sadie really bad by biting her rear hind leg, and this all happened in one night. My other dog Rosco is ok. I took Sadie to the Vet the next day and she will be ok but the Vet bill cost me $127.00 dollars.

Right now I am scared to even let my remaining two dogs, Sadie and Roscoe out of my sight. I know what this sounds like but I was so angry that for the last couple of nights I have tried to set up a trap for those dogs waiting with my shotgun to see if they come back on my property. I wanted to kill them.
Ok, I know a little bit about dogs could you tell me what it looks like? It could be a variety of things, a pitbull a mastiff etc.

I'm so sorry to hear about Rollo. He must've had a very good life. I'm sorry they hurt Sadie as well :(.

You shouldn't feel like that, and I understand your vengeance needs to be satisfied, but killing somebody else's dog isn't the way unfortunately. As you said you should probably bring it up with the sheriff. If you tell him what happened the dogs could be put down (euthanized) and you won't have that problem again.

I’m so sorry that this happened. My condolences. Do you know these neighbors? If you chatted in the past, even just a friendly wave, I’d try talking to them first. Same thing happened to my daughter’s dachshund (didn’t kill it but tore it up) and the neighbor actually offered and did pay the vet bill. They live in the country too. A friendly third party to go with you would be wise. Good luck and hope it turns out in your favor. :)

I would honestly get a pellet or BB gun. I used to shoot stray dogs when they came in my yard, because of the fact that I was afraid they would injure or even kill my dog.

As long as you get flat headed pellets, it shouldn’t even break the skin, just hurt like crazy. BB guns have the same effect, but they are typically less accurate.

Or, you could get a high powered AEG. (An AEG is an airsoft rifle, that typically fires in full and semiautomatic.)

If you loose about 50 airsoft BB’s at those dogs, they shouldn’t be to hasty to come back.

——

Can you not call animal control? Animal control should be able to take those dogs into custody after you have talked to your neighbors.

Do you have any neighbors that are your friends? Close living family members? The rule of two is a good idea for someone, regardless of age.

Hope this issue gets resolved soon, I hate to see someone in your condition, and your dogs, suffering.

What
I would honestly get a pellet or BB gun. I used to shoot stray dogs when they came in my yard, because of the fact that I was afraid they would injure or even kill my dog.

As long as you get flat headed pellets, it shouldn’t even break the skin, just hurt like crazy. BB guns have the same effect, but they are typically less accurate.

Or, you could get a high powered AEG. (An AEG is an airsoft rifle, that typically fires in full and semiautomatic.)

If you loose about 50 airsoft BB’s at those dogs, they shouldn’t be to hasty to come back.

——

Can you not call animal control? Animal control should be able to take those dogs into custody after you have talked to your neighbors.

Do you have any neighbors that are your friends? Close living family members? The rule of two is a good idea for someone, regardless of age.

Hope this issue gets resolved soon, I hate to see someone in your condition, and your dogs, suffering.
What happens if the owner complains that their dog has been 'shot' at? Not saying your wrong just a point :).

Thanks everyone for the replies. I don't know the neighbors with the large dog, but I have seen them and hear them. On the weekends sometimes they have huge parties and play really loud Hispanic music. I don't mind the music, even when it is loud, because it usually only happens for part of the day. I hear them having a good time and that is ok by me, because it is their business. I am a peaceful and easy going person, but I worry as to what type of people I am dealing with. I could be stirring up a hornets nest and end up having to move.

I am scared I might walk out one morning and find my tires slashed, or come home one day and find my home broken into, just because I called the police on them. I could be overly paranoid about it all but I have found in life it is better to stay out of it and away from it all.

I am going to say something too about the police, I have never in all my years had the police help me do anything. About fifteen years ago, my home was broken into and ransacked and the police barely investigated and did nothing much at all about it. The police took my statement but after that I never heard a word. About five years ago, my pickup truck was stolen, and again nothing was ever said or done about it. All I was told was to report it to my insurance and they will cover the loss, that is the truth and the end to what the police will do in my experience. So sorry to say I don't expect much help form the police. I feel I am on my own here, I don't want to involve any of my other neighbors because they too are all elderly, this was in the past a place people came to live for retirement because it is so cheap to live here. I have a brother who lives about forty miles from me but his health is really bad, so he can't go anywhere except to the doctor.

I do have a friend of mine that stays out here with me from time to time but right now he is away working and will be back before Christmas. I am going to talk it over with him and get his advice. I am hoping he will go with me to talk to them.

——

What you are talking about is non-lethal and that is probably the way to go, but when a dog is a killer of other people's pets, do you really think it should be allowed to continue to do so?

Thanks everyone for the replies. I don't know the neighbors with the large dog, but I have seen them and hear them. On the weekends sometimes they have huge parties and play really loud Hispanic music. I don't mind the music, even when it is loud, because it usually only happens for part of the day. I hear them having a good time and that is ok by me, because it is their business. I am a peaceful and easy going person, but I worry as to what type of people I am dealing with. I could be stirring up a hornets nest and end up having to move.

I am scared I might walk out one morning and find my tires slashed, or come home one day and find my home broken into, just because I called the police on them. I could be overly paranoid about it all but I have found in life it is better to stay out of it and away from it all.

I am going to say something too about the police, I have never in all my years had the police help me do anything. About fifteen years ago, my home was broken into and ransacked and the police barely investigated and did nothing much at all about it. The police took my statement but after that I never heard a word. About five years ago, my pickup truck was stolen, and again nothing was ever said or done about it. All I was told was to report it to my insurance and they will cover the loss, that is the truth and the end to what the police will do in my experience. So sorry to say I don't expect much help form the police. I feel I am on my own here, I don't want to involve any of my other neighbors because they too are all elderly, this was in the past a place people came to live for retirement because it is so cheap to live here. I have a brother who lives about forty miles from me but his health is really bad, so. he can't go anywhere except to the doctor.

I do have a friend of mine that stays out here with me from time to time but right now he is away working and will be back before Christmas. I am going to talk it over with him and get his advice. I am hoping he will go with me to talk to them.
Install some security cameras if you feel paranoid about them doing something.

Maybe @PheonixKingZ is right with the whole BB situation. The person probably won't even notice that his dog has been 'shot' unless the dog comes crying to him like a wimp. Are you able to describe the huge dog? I can try and identify the dog for you :).

I think your vet has good advice, maybe the vet even knows the owners and can intercede for you. Ultimately you can escalate if going the good neighbor route doesn't work..you do have Animal control an dlocal law enforcement too. But what ever road you take, please document everything, a who what where and how for every action or incident you take. This is a CYA action and may prove helpful should it end up in the lawyer's hands...good and I hope things work out....you can also try the kindness and good neighbor route of just dropping by with a plate of cookies and coffee and having a nice chat, maybe with a fellow neighbor or vet for support. bear in mind this is a carrot and stick approach, but you keep a BIG stick (animal control or law enforcement) in your back pocket and never show it unless required.
No the Vet does not know these people, of that I am sure of. I will not do anything without someone there on my side to back me up. I have a friend that I am going to ask for help.

What you are talking about is non-lethal and that is probably the way to go, but when a dog is a killer of other people's pets, do you really think it should be allowed to continue to do so?
That sounds more of a last resort. If you install a camera in your house that records your yard 24/7 and see the dogs attacking your dogs, maybe the shotgun could be some sort of last resort.

Ok, I know a little bit about dogs could you tell me what it looks like? It could be a variety of things, a pitbull a mastiff etc.

I'm so sorry to hear about Rollo. He must've had a very good life. I'm sorry they hurt Sadie as well :(.

You shouldn't feel like that, and I understand your vengeance needs to be satisfied, but killing somebody else's dog isn't the way unfortunately. As you said you should probably bring it up with the sheriff. If you tell him what happened the dogs could be put down (euthanized) and you won't have that problem again.
I am not really sure what breed the dog is. I know the Rottie breeds and some of the other big dogs and this is not one of them. The closest I can come to it is what we have called a cow dog, a big reddish colored dog with a large heavy body.

That sounds more of a last resort. If you install a camera in your house that records your yard 24/7 and see the dogs attacking your dogs, maybe the shotgun could be some sort of last resort.
Yes security cameras are a good ides, I am going to look into those, thanks for the advice.

I am not really sure what breed the dog is. I know the Rottie breeds and some of the other big dogs and this is not one of them. The closest I can come to it is what we have called a cow dog, a big reddish colored dog with a large heavy body.
I think I know what it is. It might be a bullmastiff. These dogs can be quite dangerous and will go for small dogs. However they are not always like this. There is a quote "there are no untrained dogs, just untrained humans". This is not aimed at you but at the person who has this huge dog.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back