Advice on adding fish to tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Flavs

Reaction score
Hello there! I would really love some advice from seasoned fish keepers! I currently have a 54L tank (60 x 30 x 30).

I've currently got a gorgeous Betta, 6 Neon Tetras and 2 Cory Doras. I was wondering whether I could add a 2-3 extra neons to form more of a school and perhaps even another Cory if space permits it.
Please let me know your thoughts, I'd really appreciate it :)

Male or female betta?

:)My only advice is just be careful and have a backup plan....quite a few of us on here had the same experience as you. Fine for months and one day the betta switched from an angel to quite the opposite and killed all the fish

Bettas can be really finicky with tank mates. Even if they seem okay with it, they prefer to be solitary. It would be a different story if you had a much larger tank so the betta is able to hide if he chooses. But 54 litres is just not enough (IMO) Just because it can be done doesn’t really mean it should be done. Keep us updated :fish:

:)My only advice is just be careful and have a backup plan....quite a few of us on here had the same experience as you. Fine for months and one day the betta switched from an angel to quite the opposite and killed all the fish
He just seems so passive, the cory's often push him out of the way and he swims alongside everyone, looking at what they're up to... I thought he must be a calm little cutie. Hard to imagine him killing everyone but I'll take your word for it and have a back up tank. I'm guessing this means NO extra fish! :p Thanks for your help

@JuiceBox52 it's a male betta, with a very chilled personality.

He just seems so passive, they cory's often push him out of the way and he swims alongside everyone, looking at what they're up to... I thought he must be a calm little cutie. Hard to imagine him killing everyone but I'll take your word for it and have a back up tank. I'm guessing this means NO extra fish! :p Thanks for your help
No problem. I wish it was a guaranteed thing. I would love to have bettas in all my tanks but after having a calm one who I trained in my community tank and him going off overnight I just wont risk it

I think whether he kills them all is one thing but bottom line is that ALL the literature say that male betta don't WANT anybody else in their tank - so they may not be gutsy enough to murder until he gets older but you should most likely assume he is UNHAPPY with the circumstances he is in.

I've never had a betta so I'm very biased, can't imderstand why any body would want a fish that starts his life in a cup and then can't have any companions but then again, part of the fun off fish tanks to me is watching the interaction between fish in the tank - a solitary fish would seem boring no matter how stunning looking they are. But there are all types in this world and they are quite stunning to look at.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back