Adding Saltwater Decor To Freshwater Tank

dbase

New Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2009
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Just went on a trip and saw some interesting decor that could be added to my tank. The problem is it consists of a large 8-10 inch conch shell, a 4 in shark jaw, and a dead starfish, all from a souvenir gift shop. I picked it up pretty cheap but figured I had better ask some experts before I put it in the freshwater tank.

Are there any chemicals that they put on a starfish to keep it from rotting/smelling?
Are there any of these 3 that would be ok to use?

Thanks for any input.
 
The Conch shell should be fine, however i would hold off on the jaw and starfish. Both can degrade in your tank and you wouldnt want that. Typically its best to avoid chemicals.
 
Both the starfish and the jaws got soft when boiled. The jaws are made of some type of cartilidge I guess; and the starfish seems to still be very tough, but did soften slightly. Any more ideas?
 
The shell will be fine. It may increase the hardness/pH of the water slightly, but it shouldn't be a big deal.

The others will rot in the tank.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top