Adding Fish After Fish-in Cycle

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Geoff1991

AKA "Sparky"
Reaction score
Right so, my cycles done and im about to start adding fish.

The way im going to do it is add 2 per week until im done

And keep testing and changing water when needed until the bacteria colonizes to cope with the extra fish waste

Sound good?

And keep testing and changing water when needed until the bacteria colonizes to cope with the extra fish waste

Sound good?

From reading this forum it seems fishless is the way people want to go...

I have had fish many years ago and it amazes me how things have got so scientific......#

According to what I have read while trawling the net.... my old fish tank would have killed my fish and my plants would have died due to lack of correct light....

My old tank had no disease, plats I had to trim and fish the would breed !! (couldn't have been that bad)

Anyway....

this time around...

I have set up the tank, filters ( I now believe you can not have too much filtration ), plants and light...

I'm letting it all hum away in the corner untill the water goes crystal clear.....

then I'm going to get it tested...

if its ok the I'll be adding some hardy fish (4-5 Danios) and monitor what happens....

It worked for me in the past....

But... very interesting reading the study that has gone into yee olde fish tank !

Well, after the fish in cycle, my mollys went bad ways due to nitrite poisoning. As did the fry.

I took them out and put 3 new mollys in. And im guessing the extra molly instead of a fry made more waste as i saw my ammonia at 1.0 and my nitrite at 0.50

That normal for an extra fish?

Sound good?

Sounds alright to me but you might like to consider leaving it for a few weeks and then adding your fish with a bit more confidence and here is why:

There are a lot of misconceptions about how populations grow until limited by resources, bacteria populations in filters are no different.

It is often assumed that the population grows until it is consuming all the waste (ammonia/nitrite) and then stops growing. Becuase peopl believe that they also think that adding more fish will mean that the population has to grow before the waste can be processed. This is only true in a tank that has literally just finished cycling and here is why.

Give a population (of any animal plant or bacteria) a daily source of food and it will grow, eventually a significant threshold (call it T1) is reached when the food can be consumed as fast as it is being supplied, this is when cycling is considered complete as it is the first time all the waste is being processed, but the population will not stop growing at this point. It will carry on growing at a gradually diminishing rate with the death rate rising and the birth rate falling until a balance is reached where births equals deaths, at this point the population is much larger than at T1 so if you throw in a bit more waste it will be consumed straight away no problem at all so adding more fish will not necessarily cause a mini cycle or indeed any measurable consequence at all except that the death rate in your filter goes down and the birth rate goes up until a new balance is reached.

This is not a license to just throw in more fish; for example if the tank has only just cycled you are still at T1 or if the bacteria don't have the space to live, ie your filter is too small or has poor/too little media this will limit the bacterial population, it is also posible add so many new fish that you overwhelm the bacteria. You still have to think about what you are doing but don't assume that adding fish will always cause a spike as usually it won't show any reaction at all and the above analysis of population balance demonstrates why.

If you doubt this logic imagine a typical family in the developed world and how much food comes in in the weekly shopping, now imagine adding people to the household (without chaging the weekly food shop) until everyone in the house is literally living on the edge of starvation, you probably now have 20 or 30 skinny unhappy people where you had 4 before. Now imagine what happens when you drop an extra rump steak and chips on the kitchen table, doesn't sit around polluting the place for long does it?

Sound good?

Sounds alright to me but you might like to consider leaving it for a few weeks and then adding your fish with a bit more confidence and here is why:

There are a lot of misconceptions about how populations grow until limited by resources, bacteria populations in filters are no different.

It is often assumed that the population grows until it is consuming all the waste (ammonia/nitrite) and then stops growing. Becuase peopl believe that they also think that adding more fish will mean that the population has to grow before the waste can be processed. This is only true in a tank that has literally just finished cycling and here is why.

Give a population (of any animal plant or bacteria) a daily source of food and it will grow, eventually a significant threshold (call it T1) is reached when the food can be consumed as fast as it is being supplied, this is when cycling is considered complete as it is the first time all the waste is being processed, but the population will not stop growing at this point. It will carry on growing at a gradually diminishing rate with the death rate rising and the birth rate falling until a balance is reached where births equals deaths, at this point the population is much larger than at T1 so if you throw in a bit more waste it will be consumed straight away no problem at all so adding more fish will not necessarily cause a mini cycle or indeed any measurable consequence at all except that the death rate in your filter goes down and the birth rate goes up until a new balance is reached.

This is not a license to just throw in more fish; for example if the tank has only just cycled you are still at T1 or if the bacteria don't have the space to live, ie your filter is too small or has poor/too little media this will limit the bacterial population, it is also posible add so many new fish that you overwhelm the bacteria. You still have to think about what you are doing but don't assume that adding fish will always cause a spike as usually it won't show any reaction at all and the above analysis of population balance demonstrates why.

If you doubt this logic imagine a typical family in the developed world and how much food comes in in the weekly shopping, now imagine adding people to the household (without chaging the weekly food shop) until everyone in the house is literally living on the edge of starvation, you probably now have 20 or 30 skinny unhappy people where you had 4 before. Now imagine what happens when you drop an extra rump steak and chips on the kitchen table, doesn't sit around polluting the place for long does it?

Wow ive just woke up and i read that about 4 times before i understood that.

Well i wont be adding anymore fish until after the 25th probably about the 28th/29th as my parents are on holiday and theres noone to drive me to get the fish i want which arent sold locally (harlequin rasbora)

adding 2 on the 25th sound good?

I know they can be perhaps boring to experienced fishkeepers but I'm just wild over rasbora heteromorpha (harlequins) as they were a fish I'd never kept years ago but had wanted and I always liked their colors. Now I've finally got them for the first time and they are wonderful in every way. They were indeed extremely hardy as a first fish, just as members here recommended and they are very good community members and most of all they have the most fantastic orangy-pinkish iridescence that can sometimes, under the right light, be just so deep and interesting that you can't believe it! The more of them you have, the more their school tightens up and gives a nice effect at times. Anyway, obvious I'm pretty keen on these fish I guess. :lol: :D

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back