Acrylic or glass?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Zante

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I'm planning a large I should tank, around 900 litres, 220cm long.
I'm going to stock discus with starlight plecos, rummynose tetras (possibly ember tetras, I still have to decide) and sterbai corys.

What would you go with, glass or acrylic for such a tank? Why?

When i had my tank built i wanted it strong because its a centrepiece in the living room and kids will be kids. So everything except the brace's and the cover panels are 10mm toughened glass, including the base.

Its as strong as the old double glazing adds but... It weighs a ton. Literally needs 2 people to move it empty and that's not easy either, approx. 70kg just in glass. Scary getting it out of the car.

Apparently 6, even 4 for the ends and base and 8 for the sides (5ft 1.5m) or 6 with braces would more than halve the weight but in its time i know its been hit by a couple of tennis balls and a hockey stick (yes a hockey stick, 2 daughters)). So i think it was the right move.

Never had acrylic but that's my 2 pence if it helps.

There are no children in the household, and none for the foreseeable future. Also the tank will go in my study, where I work. People are allowed in there only under supervision as I have access to sensitive data from there.
So safety is a minor concern.

I'm tempted by acrylic because of the weight. On a tank that size it will make a difference, and since it's going to hold discus it'll be at a higher temperature, so the extra insulation of acrylic will also be welcome.

I don't know how relevant the downsides of acrylic will be though. I've decided on a glass tank for the reef, mainly because it'll make scraping coralline algae off less worrisome, but I'm not quite aware how the scratchability of acrylic can be an issue for a freshwater tank.

Cost-wise, for this size, they're fairly equivalent. I've had quotes for either very similar, so that doesn't factor in.

Acrylic is lighter and offers greater visual clarity for observation, however it scratches much more easily than glass.

Acrylic scratches easier than glass.

Glass vs. Acrylic
The Differences Between and the Debate About Glass Aquariums and Acrylic Aquariums

Most aquariums are made of either glass or acrylic. However, many people don't know what the difference is - except that the acrylic tank is usually much more expensive. Often this results in the impression that the acrylic tank is better, though frequently unaffordable. This is not necessarily true. Both glass and acrylic tanks have their benefits and their drawbacks.
http://www.firsttankguide.net/tanktype.php

I know it's more scratchable, but how much more?
Will plecs rasping the algae off the acrylic leave a mark for example?

Has anyone had one for a while that can let me know if it's worth going for acrylic?
The greater clarity is also going to be a factor, since I'm going to have a lot of green cover on the water surface, and I would appreciate more light getting into the tank from the environment.
Is the clarity difference enough to make a difference in that sense?

Doubt a pleco would but say something likea rock or wood rubs on the acrylic,that will scratch it.Now the same scenario on glass and it wouldn't scratch.Now clarity wise yes it is pretty good and as long as you are careful I would say go for acrylic.Now if you scratch it,personally it gets on my nerves as at the right angle you will see it.

Has anyone ever seen an acrylic tank that wasn't all foggy/scratched? I'm asking because I haven't. Low iron glass on the front and sides is the way to go as far as clarity. I also personally don't care to contribute to the petroleum industry when I have the choice. Glass is heavier but you know what's really heavy? - a fish tank full of water! If you're going big I think it's best to accept the fact you're going to need help setting it up. I'm hiring a moving company to move my tanks up a flight of stairs. It is what it is and it's absolutely worth it. I've even see curved glass tanks so there's really no need for acrylic ever imo

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

I know it's more scratchable, but how much more?
Think soap ( Acrylic ) and bathroom sink ( Glass) you can scratch acrylic with your fingernail.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back