About To Start Fishless Cylcle.....

Agreed, Ive heard that bacteria don't really die, they just stop multiplying. If you freeze food, or put it in the fridge, your not killing the bacteria, just delaying the inevitable. It will start multiplying once its warm enough, and destroy your food.

Hopefully likewise, my n-bacs will still be hanging on in there, ready to much up the ammonia, hopefully.....(equally, we could be completely wrong, and ill be back to square one, or worse....)

Ill test the tank in a moment, and we'll see.....

Ok, not great, but not entirely bad news i guess?

pH 8.2
Ammonia 0ppm (Redosed to 4ppm)
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm

So, who thinks im back to square one? And if i am, any ideas why my tank pH is now 8.2, as when i first started out (and bearing in mind the huge water change before these readings) why my starting pH is 1 higher than before (7.2)?

Very confused :(

I'm pretty sure there is a mistake with one of those readings, probably the nitrate. Getting 0ppm for ammonia and nitrite is a good thing. Having zero nitrates is highly unlikely to actually be zero, if you have been dosing ammonia and the levels have dropped due to bacterial activity.

Ill do it again now! :) I tested before adding the ammonia, as i do all the tests at the same time. Is this wrong? Oh dear.....

No, that is correct. the problem is almost certainly the nitrate test. Ultimately, 1ppm ammonia becomes 2.7ppm nitrite to 3.6 ppm nitrate.

If your filter is cycled at all, ammonia dropping will ultimately mean a rise in nitrates (eventually). So, if your nitrite and ammonia truly are zero, then the nitrate can't be. The key with that test is that you need to really shake up the reagents. Then, really shake the tube up. There is a lot of error in that test, but it shouldn't be reading zero.

Re-reading, if you only had 20ppm before the water change, and did a huge change, chances are that you actually removed the nitrates from the tank with the change, and that your nitrates could be low enough to get a reading very close to zero - and with the uncertainty in that test, it could be "accurate". Sorry for the confusion.

Ok, its just ticked over the 5 minute mark, and its JUST over the first Yellow 0 on the API chart, the second mark is 5ppm, and its not that dark.

What have i done?!

Read above post. I think you're fine. Sorry.

Ok, now im really confused! Tonight we have;

pH - 8.2
Ammonia - 4ppm
Nitrite - 5+ (Off the API chart)
Nitrate - 30ppm (between 20 and 40 marks)

When i measured the water 24 hours after the huge gravel to sand and 75 % water change, everything was at zero. I then dosed the tank to 4ppm BUT didn't measure this after. I just added the normal 3ml to 16gal as the calculator, same as i have from the start.

Now that ive tested tonight, its looks as if a fair amount of ammonia should have been processed considering the NO2 and NO3 levels, yet its still showing 4ppm.

The only answer i have , is that i somehow managed to OD my tank. Any ideas how this is possible, considering its the dose ive had all along? Or is it something else? Real confused!

Thanks in advance...

I do take it you tested before you put the ammonia in yes?

Yeh the only other thing I can think is that you did indeed OD your tank, seen as your nitrites are off the scale, but from one reading it is really hard to see exactly what your tank is doing, test again in the morning, and in the evening and see what is going on.

Hope that helps :)

+1

It's hard to figure what is going on from a single reading. Test it again in 12 hours, and then at 24. Post results and we will see what we can do to help.

I do take it you tested before you put the ammonia in yes?

Indeed, the tests after swapping the gravel for sand and the 75% water change (because there was so much scum on the top) showed zero on everything, so i added 3ml of ammonia to dose it back to what i assumed would be 4ppm, as its the same dose i used from the start. I didnt however check it after, as its the same amount of ammonia i ihave used from the start that has always shown 4ppm after dosing.

+1

It's hard to figure what is going on from a single reading. Test it again in 12 hours, and then at 24. Post results and we will see what we can do to help.

Unfortunately 12 hours would have been about now. Im already at work now, and will be until about 6pm, but ill test as soon as im in the door, and get the results straight up! :(

Thanks guys!

No worries... more data points just gives a better sense of what is happening. If you can't test at 12, just wait until 24. No big deal. The beautiful thing about a fishless cycle is that there is no fish stock in the tank right now, so this really isn't an emergency. :D It may be frustrating, but it isn't like your fish are suffering.

Sure, it would have been nice to get them. I would have asked the Mrs (she works round the corner from home, i work 20 miles away), but she isnt too confident with the tank and hasnt actually touched the tank since i bought it home, its definately my responsibility!!

Ill get you some further test 4results around 7pm this evening once im home and have thrown down a coffee :)

Like you say, at least there is no stock to worry about. I really dont mind how long the cycle takes, (not that i get a choice!) im in no rush, so if its takes months, its takes months, at least i wont be harming anything! Im spending the time trying to get some stock ideas together, and sorting out the decor. (Need some moss :))

Any ideas on stock for a 16gal? (2 Foot wide, flat front) Ive been looking heavily into cory's. Any ideas on types and amounts i could put in. I appreciate it wont be a lot (of different types) as from what ive read they prefer to school, so would need groups of 6ish rather than 1 or 2 of a few different types. I would also really like a clown pleco, would be great if anyone has some expereince with these? From what i have read, i may be able to get away with just one, but tbh, i think they might be better in a 4ft. Ive read on here (Cory section) they max out at about 5inches in captivity?

Thanks again for all the help!

Ok, so today is Day 13, we have;

pH - 8.2
Ammonia - 2ppm
Nitrite - 5+ (Off the API chart)
Nitrite - Approx 120? Halfway between 80 and 160.

Its coming down, i think. The Ammonia has halved, but i cant tell if this has increased the nitrites because it was already off the chart yesterday, but we have an obvious 5 fold nitrate increase.

Ill try and fit in a test in the morning as well.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back