A Ton Of Questions Regarding; Food, Tank Recommendations, Filters, Osc

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Sophie

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Good evening!
So I did not want to make a bajillion topics, so I thought I would list all of my questions (for the time being) here.

Food:
I feed my tanks twice a day, morning and night. It'll consist of a rotation between Tetra Pro Energy flake, Frozen Bloodworm, Frozen Discus Mix (Spinach, Molluscs, a mish mash) and King British Fish Treats (as a treat). I also feed Tetra Algae Wafers for my Bristlenose every few days which of course, everything else eats too.

How often do you feed your fish?
What do you feed them on?
Any specific food products to recommend for Angels?

Oscars:
I've really taken a shine to these guys, obviously not going to jump right in there - I'm talking a long time from now but advanced research never hurt.

What would you recommend, tank size (in litres), for a pair? I've heard this is the best way to keep them if brought from young and they grow up together.
If both species are brought young, could you house a pair of Oscars with a Fire Eel?
What about keeping large - fully grown Clown Loaches in there?
What would you recommend feeding them throughout their lives?

I read a lot in this months issue of PFK and they mentioned how they are waste making machines!

Would a Fluval FX6 be adequate? I'm desperate to try one of them out, they look awesome.

Filters:

Best filter brand in your recommendation?

Tanks:

Bigger is obviously better!

What is the largest you know of that can be brought without it being custom made?
Any particular brand that you are impressed with?
Any to avoid?
What is your opinion on custom made tanks?
Where would I go to get a custom made tank?

I think I'm done for now *blush*
Thanks for reading through all of these, any answers would be appreciated, sorry if this seems a lot!

I can only give information on the feeding bit. I feed my fish a variety of foods six days a week. Sundays they get brine shrimp. Mondays they get one half of an algae wafer and some tropical flakes (mix of cichlid flakes and regular tropical flakes). Tuesdays I feed a zucchini slice which was previously frozen and then allowed to thaw to room temperature before adding to the tank (this is also done with my other frozen foods). Wednesdays they eat frozen beef heart (which is disgusting to look at). Thursdays they again get the flakes and wafer. Friday is another zucchini day. They fast on Saturdays as this is also water change day.

I only feed once a day. I also make sure to only feed enough that it will be gone within five minutes. The zucchini and algae I allow to sit for longer. I let the algae wafer stay in for up to two hours and the zucchini I remove by the next day. I find that feeding zucchini helps regulate any possibly constipation in some of my greedy fish.

For angel fish, small cichlid pellets will probably work. I have very high grade cichlid pellets which would be great if my fish were large enough to eat them... So long as you vary the diet, they should do well. With carnivorous fish, it is still a good idea to add a little plant matter to the diet as the fish would naturally consume some plant matter in the wild. On the other hand, vegetarian fish also on occasion consume the occasional insect. Obviously for omnivorous fish, you will need to vary the diet.

How much do you feed at each sitting? If you want to feed more than once a day, you will have to be extremely careful about your amounts. You don't want to over feed of course. In fact, I only feed my betta fish every other day. Anyway, my point is a little fasting never hurt a fish. They can usually find leftovers in the substrate or among plants anyway.

Hi for Oscars - general rule is 75 gallons for one 150 gallons for the next and then in tanks that size you might get away with 3 but depends on the individuals. 

As far as custom tanks vs branded ones - I would go for customs I find they are a better deal, you can get custom sizes and choose the colour etc. When you get to big fish tanks Rena do a 6 foot one and other than that Im not aware of others that really will last an oscar with other fish for life. The Juwel 450s are quite good but I think you do right in getting the externals so it seems a shame to spend on the tank and then cut out the internal...

For me if you like big fish like Oscars and Clown Loaches just go for a big custom tank, as big as you can fit, 180g 6x2x2 tanks are great for fish like this, a good length on them and 2 foot wide gives them good turning space :)

My tank is from ND aquatics and it is great :) Really reccomend them

I didnt realise an FX6 was out but it looks great!!  I have 2 FX5 on my 6 foot tank and they do a great job - in the future I will probably upgrade to FX6s so long as they turn out to be as good as the 5s the thing I love about the 5s is they are so so so simple just hoping they have not fiddled with it too much :)

Wills :)

attibones said:
How much do you feed at each sitting? If you want to feed more than once a day, you will have to be extremely careful about your amounts. You don't want to over feed of course. In fact, I only feed my betta fish every other day. Anyway, my point is a little fasting never hurt a fish. They can usually find leftovers in the substrate or among plants anyway.

If it's bloodworm, it'll be one and a half square blocks between all the fish in the 260L. The other half is given to the Clown Loaches in the 94L. Same with the Discus Mix block. If it's flake it'll be a small pinch in each and the fishy treat will be one for the big tank, half for the clowns. The algae wafers are one on each side of the tank, every few days just before lights off. I do starve them once a week too, but the Angel's are just so greedy I find it hard to resist. It's like when my dogs beg! I'm a sucker for it. I don't think I am overfeeding though, it's always just enough to be gone within 10 minutes unless it's the wafers. 

Wills said:
Hi for Oscars - general rule is 75 gallons for one 150 gallons for the next and then in tanks that size you might get away with 3 but depends on the individuals. 

As far as custom tanks vs branded ones - I would go for customs I find they are a better deal, you can get custom sizes and choose the colour etc. When you get to big fish tanks Rena do a 6 foot one and other than that Im not aware of others that really will last an oscar with other fish for life. The Juwel 450s are quite good but I think you do right in getting the externals so it seems a shame to spend on the tank and then cut out the internal...

For me if you like big fish like Oscars and Clown Loaches just go for a big custom tank, as big as you can fit, 180g 6x2x2 tanks are great for fish like this, a good length on them and 2 foot wide gives them good turning space
smile.png

My tank is from ND aquatics and it is great
smile.png
Really reccomend them

I didnt realise an FX6 was out but it looks great!!  I have 2 FX5 on my 6 foot tank and they do a great job - in the future I will probably upgrade to FX6s so long as they turn out to be as good as the 5s the thing I love about the 5s is they are so so so simple just hoping they have not fiddled with it too much
smile.png

Wills
smile.png

Been hunting for custom makers today (I live in Wiltshire) and can not find any at all! Humph!
Yeah the Juwel's are a fab brand but don't do bigger than 450 Rio :(

I remember reading somewhere the main (only) difference between the FX5 and 6 is the fact the 6 uses far less electricity and energy to run?
Regardless, a 600-800L tank for two Oscars, a Fire Eel with an FX6 sounds like a plan to me. Filters upto 1500L correct?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back