A Theory - Quick Fishless Cycle

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Miss Wiggle

Practically perfect in every way
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

we're currently fishless cycling and it's going unusually quickly and smoothly despite not seeding the tank or doing anything unusual. not that I'm not pleased it's going quickly however I'd like to understand if there is a reason behind this.

the only thing i can think of that's different to normal is our filter. we took a punt on an un-named brand from the internet that was good value on the basis that we had a couple of other filters we could use if it wasn't any good! It has a funny surface inlet thing which is meant to remove small items of detritus from the surface of the water. We couldn't get it working at first and didn't really see the point in it so we capped it off. A couple of days into the cycle (no movement in readings by this point) Ian decided to play and see if he could get it working - which he did successfully. At this point we had the oily looking film on the surface of the water that you sometimes get, the surface inlet sucked in all the film and left the surface of the water looking clear.

then within a day or so the cycle started going and has moved pretty promptly since then. Ian say's he remembers reading somewhere that some of the oily film is bacteria so we were wondering if perhaps collecting this bacteria and sucking it into the filter early on in the cycle might have moved things along. it kind of makes sense to me that bacteria might grow on the waters surface as it gives best access to water and O2.

just wondering if someone with a bit more of a scientific brain than me can dissect this theory and see if there is any weight to it - discuss!

A point worth remembering is that cycles can slow at any stage for no apparant reason only to pick up again later. I guess the total time needed to cycle your tank will give a better indication if things are speeding along or not.

Fingers crossed though.

From what I've read etc, I believe the oily film are protein complexes. They are attracted to the surface because they easily combine with oxygen. Hence gravitate toward highly oxygenated areas of the tank. Apparently they greatly benefit the biological bacteria in your filter.

From what I've read etc, I believe the oily film are protein complexes. They are attracted to the surface because they easily combine with oxygen. Hence gravitate toward highly oxygenated areas of the tank. Apparently they greatly benefit the biological bacteria in your filter.

The oily film sits on the surface because it has a density less than water, and doesn't mix well with water. Ya know "oil and water don't mix". It has nothing to do with a molecule's attraction to oxygen.

The oily film sits on the surface because it has a density less than water, and doesn't mix well with water. Ya know "oil and water don't mix". It has nothing to do with a molecule's attraction to oxygen.

Aaahh Ok. My bad.
But can you confirm that the film is composed of protein complexes?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back