The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

It is 12 Litres (about 3 gals), which is a lot smaller than I would usually use, but Bob does not really swim anywhere :)
Plus, I do very regular water changes, sometimes a few jugfuls every other day.

It looks bigger than that :)

How do you get on with those digital thermometers - I have heard from some that hey are more accurate, then equally from others that they are totally inaccurate?

I wanted to get one for vaders set up but thought I would read reviews first - but then never got around to it so he has an internal one suctioned to the tank which although unsightly I have been told they are most accurate lol!

That is due to all his "furniture" ;)

I now have four of these thermometers.  I use two for water changes, one is put in the aquarium to monitor the temperature, then one is put in the bucket.  Sometimes I put the readers side by side on the outside of the aquarium for ease of checking they match, otherwise one is stuck to the side of the bucket.  I believe I did swap them to double check their accuracy and they were within 0.01 of each other so not bad.  I find them handy when I first set up and aquarium, when checking a new heater, such as Bob's.  Although I am also planning to add them to some of the aquariums.  I do keep an internal one too for cross referencing.  Interestingly, an internal one recently failed on me, I had never seen that before, but the temp dropped dramatically, but the stick-on LCD one and then one of these digital thermometers gave me the correct reading!  I also like this digital thermometer as you can power it off easily, which is good to preserve the battery on my WC ones, plus you can easily switch between oF (my preferred) and oC.

They are very cheap at the moment @£2.59, I normally get mine from WMA and they are about a pound more than this current price!  Give it a go, get two, what have you got to loose ;)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I've got one of each (a stick on submersible one and one like on RCA's tank) and they never match even tho they are in the same part of the tank. I just make sure I match with either one of them - the absolute numbers are irrelevant as long as they match. I've realised that doesn't read right - what I mean is I use the same one for old water and replacement water matching.
Got both of mine from Ebay for about the same price RCA mentioned.
Cheap as chips! lol

They are very cheap at the moment @£2.59, I normally get mine from WMA and they are about a pound more than this current price!  Give it a go, get two, what have you got to loose ;)[/quote]

£5-18? Ha ha!

I've just ordered 3

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
They're not that good
rofl.gif

Seriously, you will not be disappointed - I hope.

Just a quick update for you all...

Bob loves to sleep in his tunnel, talk about thinking your Betta is dead!  Will try and get a better picture sometime, although it is very hard as I do not want to scare him with flash etc.

P1080922-Copy_zps9be04183.jpg

I have also recently added three Cherry Shrimp to assist in keeping the tank clean.

Can't see Bob in that one.
Shrimp are blooming marvellous at spring-cleaning aren't they? My 3 amanos seem to be constantly munching which is good because they are getting rid of the detritus and so they aren't starving. It also means it's been a bit of a messy tank, but everyone seems happy and the water parameters are good. I'm so pleased with them, I'm going to get some for the big tank after payday!

Bob is lying at the bottom of the white tunnel, the dark object is Bob, lying on his side ...

Yes, my Amanos are great too, so thought I would try the Cherry's with Bob.  I have found my Amanos can come up to the surface to pinch food off the fish and sometimes they seem to waft over the fighter spooking them a little.  As Bob likes to laze around I did not want to risk the larger shrimp with him, so hopefully the Cherry's will be fine.

Bob is so sweet, and how lucky he is to have such a well thought out retirement home! Great job :)

Thanks to all for your comments and interest in dear old Bob.

Bob spent most of his time in the plant at the entrance to his tunnel, or in the tunnel itself.  As time has gone on he seemed to age gracefully, and I found he would snap at the surface of the water whenever I appeared with food, as if he could not see it.  I took to feeding him thawed blood-worms or brine shrimp, or live mosquito larvae using tongs so that he could grab hold of them.  He also had his moist pellets but often seemed unable to see them, so I had to place them in the plant or his tunnel.

Over the past few weeks I was fighting to save Bob by treating him with Myxacin as his fins just seemed to be getting shorter, as well as what appeared to be failing eyesight.  He would still come out to see me whenever I appeared with his food.  However, in the last few days Bob slipped off his plant and seemed not to have the strength to surface.  I placed him in a shallow container, along with a live plant, that he was able to lie in, as his breathing seemed labored.  Over the course of 24 hours Bob finally came to rest on the plant for the last time.  He died peacefully this Monday evening (22nd July), and is now buried in the garden, which I felt he deserved after his time with me.  RIP old fella, you were a good old fighter and started me off again having bought your first tank for a £1 at a car-boot - cost me about £80 to set it all up though.  Bob was also well traveled as he accompanied me when I moved from the South to the North.  I feel he is now at peace and felt I did the best I could for him, I would estimate him to have been about three years plus.  Sorry to give you all this update, yet I feel he was as comfortable as he could be until the end.

:rip: :-(
It's terrible to hear this news RCA. He lived a happy life I'm sure in your betta palaces. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back