A Quick Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lovesfish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a protien skimmer and a canister filter. my question is would having a hang on the tank refugium be worth getting to help keep phosphates ect out of the water or no. I heard from a reputable store that they work wonders but I didn't know given the other filtration weather it would really have any impact on tank. dave

I think they are beneficial in the fact that they are a great place to grow pods, and depending on the size tank they can make a good nutrient export device if sized correctly.

has anyone on these fourms used a aquafuge hang on tank refgium before and if so how well does it work for u? dave

would a 5 gallon hang on tank refugium really have a big impact on a 120 gallon tank I mean 5 gallons isn't alot considering the tank size unless the macro algae do all the work so the size really isn't relevent? dave

Yeah, a 5 gallon refugium wont have much impact on a 120. A 20 gallon sump or larger would though :)

I was a bit skeptical about it being on a 120 tank but with a protien skimmer and a canister filter it might help some but idk. dave

its better than nothing. Also most of the first refugiums were simply a small tank elevated above the display where water was pumped to and then drained back to the display. I would think it would be more beneficial for pod production than algea growth from an efficiency stand point, but a small fuge is better than no fuge.

I was thinking of using it more or less as a place to grow pods and macro algae to help pull the phosphates and other things out of the water to make the system more efficent if you get what I'm saying. dave

removing the pods from the issue, there are plenty of chemicals you can put in the media compartment of your canister filter to remove phosphates from water. phosban comes to mind.

As for the pods, 5 gallons wont hurt. And from what i have read if its hanging on the back and has a gravity fed return, you might get more pods going to the display out of that than say a 20 gallon sump. Something to think about anyways.

I was looking for a more natural way to get rid of the phosphates is all and I want to make sure that a 5 gallon hang on tank refugium is going to have an impact on the levels in the ank or not. dave

Yeah, a 5 gallon refugium wont touch phosphates in a tank that size :(. Something like phosban or some similar phosphate sponge should be the way to go :)

*sigh* and I had my hopes up that it would be worth while guess I was wrong as always thanks for the advice. I thought maybe the macro algae in a 5 gallon side would be able to do it but I guess not. dave

Ah, a CPR product, good choice :good:. They make great really reliable items, you should be very happy with one of those if you decide to go with it.

I know its a good product I just want to know that it is going to pull phosphates out and keep the levels at a reasonable level if I grow macro algae in there to help pull it out.I mean there is no point in wasting 175 dollars on a good product that doesn't really help the goal ya know? sry if I'm annoying anyone with this topic I'll go away if thats the case I just want to make sure I'm not wasting money.also I might add that my levels aren't high I'm not like trying to pull out masses of phosphates just pull out the little I have and keep it out ya know just so maybe that will help me finally decide one way or another. dave

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back