• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

VioletThePurple

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Multiple options for those with multiple tank syndrome. For example, you might have a tank without a lid because the stocking doesn't jump, and a lid on a tank that does.

I have one tank with a plastic one and another that is plastic but a part of it is glass. I once had a wooden one, too.

I have two tanks.
The small shrimp tank has a glass lid
The larger community tank has 2 lids. To be accurate, it has cover glasses and a lid made of the same stuff as the cabinet. It takes 2 people to lift it on and off as it's so heavy. The top is hinged to that the front two thirds lift up and the rear one third holds the light fitting.

As long as you have one it doesn't matter!

The excuse that, "oh, I have fish that don't jump," is rubbish, because if they get spooked for one reason or another.......they will!! Ask me how I know!

And a lid helps prevent children launching things into your tank, or a curious cat from accidently jumping in, or the dog! Ask me how I know!

In my experience a tight fitting lid is a must on all aquariums.

Made my own. Much cheaper and I get exactly what I want. Jump proof. 1/8 " glass with sanded edges from the glass shop $10 bucks even. A scrap of plastic to fit my opening I left for feeding and voila !
image.jpeg

Made my own. Much cheaper and I get exactly what I want. Jump proof. 1/8 " glass with sanded edges from the glass shop $10 bucks even. A scrap of plastic to fit my opening I left for feeding and voila !View attachment 164924
I made mine too, It’s a 48“ long tank so I got two long pieces of glass that go past the ends of the tank. One at the front and one at the back, and my light in between. It allows me to easily take off the whole front part to do tank maintenance. However the glass place gave me the wrong thickness, I have to have it sitting on the front and back edge of the aquarium or it sags. 1/4” is what I really need.

@CarissaT A person can always make better stuff than you can buy and cheaper.
Yep quite often true. Especially lids, decor and substrate. All things that are often super overpriced. I’ve had some not so good diy experiments too. One being a home made LED light strip which burnt out super fast and all my plants nearly died. It was a good idea while it lasted 🤣

As long as you have one it doesn't matter!

The excuse that, "oh, I have fish that don't jump," is rubbish, because if they get spooked for one reason or another.......they will!! Ask me how I know!

And a lid helps prevent children launching things into your tank, or a curious cat from accidently jumping in, or the dog! Ask me how I know!

In my experience a tight-fitting lid is a must on all aquariums.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but most aquascapes are lidless. I feel like anything could jump/climb out if they really wanted to in a lidless tank. Personally, I think lidless is risky because you already have animals that can escape through the filter intake and now the whole upper tank area is exposed.

I have two tanks.
The small shrimp tank has a glass lid
The larger community tank has 2 lids. To be accurate, it has covered glasses and a lid made of the same stuff as the cabinet. It takes 2 people to lift it on and off as it's so heavy. The top is hinged to that the front two thirds lift up and the rear one third holds the light fitting.
That must suck for water changes.

That must suck for water changes.
Water changes are easy, the front two thirds folds back and leans on the wall and there's plenty of room to get into the tank. The construction of the heavy lid looks very similar to the tank in the post above ^

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back