A philosophy of aquascaping and fish keeping.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Oddball59

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
People often lose sight of their responsibilities towards their fish as they obsess about the latest kit, or don't realise a fish is a sentient being, capable of making its own decisions, we must respect that by being holistic and give them what they need to fulfil their decisions. Sometimes it saddens me looking at my or other fish, even though they've probably been tank bred and thinking where in a vast lake or river would you be now? And then I feel our hobby is selfish. We must look at an environment, not a system. Not a rant, not knocking anyone just a personal belief. But if you do have an environment I'm certain that you'll enjoy your fish much more.

"A story flowing here will grow inside you,
And it will go on from you to someone else.

I believe it will then come back to nature,
from here to forever."

Takashi Amano.

So what do we do with these thoughts?

My choice is to learn as much as I can about the fish I like. Then I try to design a tank for their needs from nature. Odds are, I use a larger tank than many would, and decorate for the fish, and not always for me. I adapt to the fish, rather than forcing the fish to adapt to me. Is there enough water flow, appropriate food, the right temperature range, enough oxygen, etc?

It's not for everyone, and is something I enjoy doing. You may not.

A captured fish either in a tank, or in a stomach. It's no longer part of the corner of nature that created it. We have to work with that truth. But it can have a good life, I think. I'm not sure what fish want, beyond food, a healthy environment and diet, sex and safety. I try my best to let them all those options - no male only, crowded tanks for me.

Gary, I would add that if an aquarist cannot be bothered to provide the essential elements for the fish, they are clearly in the wrong hobby.

So what do we do with these thoughts?

My choice is to learn as much as I can about the fish I like. Then I try to design a tank for their needs from nature. Odds are, I use a larger tank than many would, and decorate for the fish, and not always for me. I adapt to the fish, rather than forcing the fish to adapt to me. Is there enough water flow, appropriate food, the right temperature range, enough oxygen, etc?

It's not for everyone, and is something I enjoy doing. You may not.

A captured fish either in a tank, or in a stomach. It's no longer part of the corner of nature that created it. We have to work with that truth. But it can have a good life, I think. I'm not sure what fish want, beyond food, a healthy environment and diet, sex and safety. I try my best to let them all those options - no male only, crowded tanks for me.
Ki Ora, Your spot on mate... it's how everyone should look at it, but obviously the truth is most people see an aquarium and think that'll look nice in the lounge and go ahead and put beautiful fish in it, maybe plastic plants, a statue of SpongeBob etc....

and they're not wrong, it would be arrogant and selfish to judge, but fortunately we're a different group here who embrace the whole as you've excellently described.

Gary, I would add that if an aquarist cannot be bothered to provide the essential elements for the fish, they are clearly in the wrong hobby.
Kia Ora Byron mate hope your well. Its a contentious issue because if we eliminated all the people who just saw a tank and wanted that beauty but then bought all the plastic plants and ornaments of pirate ships, there would be no hobby for us, because its those people who pay for the companies to carry on. I DO agree with you but with the above caveat. I bet most of us started out with a appreciation of the beauty of the fish without considering the "essential elements".
The first tank I had over forty years ago was my dads... and he just wanted an aquarium.. he bought a tank, fabricated a stand as he was a metal worker, then two days later we went, totally ignorant of what a environment was, I doubt my dad even knew where Africa was never mind Malawi or Tanganyika. Filled the tank up from the tap, put plastic plants in an under gravel filter, heater... an inch of sand then just put fish we liked into it, I was probably about ten or eleven.
And... now I don't know how but all the fish lived, we'd throw handfuls of flake in, but nothing died. But that put a spark in my head... and now I can see that there is so much more.
I don't know how you help people make that big leap to being true aquarists.... It is daunting after all and a true art. But when you appreciate the creation of a habitat, enjoy the creation, think as you do then it's all there to enjoy. Take care Byron. All the best.

I had a great pirate ship back in the day.

It took me a while to get to where I am in my aquarium thinking now. Other people will find other conclusions, and I don't think my approach solves the "what the %^%$%# are we doing keeping fish?" question. I'd say it took me 25 years to get where I am.

It's easier to look at nature now with youtube videos shot out there. When I was new at this, all we had were some cave paintings and local streams to think about. Underwater film of small fish habitats really changes the game. But you have to look at it to learn, and not a lot of people go to watch below water or to Ivan Mikolji's channel.

I think it eventually gets boring to put manufactured decor in tanks, and we drift toward making our own. Most people who go that way design the tank then add random fish for a few years, before they may start picking the fish and building around them. Or not. I think it makes the hobby more interesting, but it isn't a "higher level" or anything like that.

Most reactions

trending

Back