A New Beginning

Duz

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

The last time I used this forum was about 5 years before I went to university, so if any of the answers to any questions I have, have come up in previous topics please just redirect me. Since I started university I've barely kept fish and now my fiancee and I have got our own place, we can start fish keeping again. We have a bow fronted tank (approx 225L) we brought second hand in good condition (dimensions 122cm wide, 30.5cm deep at start of bow, 48.5cm deep at max of bow and 43cm high). I was hoping on turning this into a Malawi cichlid tank, keeping it as natural as possible with sand substrate and hardscaping with some nice rocks, something like the image below but on a smaller scale. However, that's about as far as I've got and still need ideas on the following areas:
  • Filter
  • Heater
  • Lighting
  • Air stones
  • Fish
Filter/Heater:
After speaking to the LFS and doing a bit of research, I was thinking about getting a JBL Cristalprofi e901 Greenline External Filter and the Fluval E200W heater. Are these a solid choice or is there something better for the price (my budget isn't exactly massive)? 

Lighting:
I honestly have no idea where to begin with lighting and what's best. I was thinking of using LEDs rather than tubes, as I always have starter motors breaking or tubes dying after what feels like a really short time. Can anyone recommend anything half decent? The tank location will be in the corner of the room away from the window, although the room does get lots of light if we leave the curtains completely open. 

Air stones:
I'm not 100% sure where I stand with this. I'm all for promoting ventilation/circulation in the tank, but I don't want it to subtract from the tank looking as natural as possible. What does everyone think? 

Fish:
Firstly our tap water is as follows: 
GH 180
KH 240
pH 7.5
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 20
I was thinking about getting something along the lines of Pseudotropheus demansoni, Pseudotropheus acei or maybe Labidochromis caeruleus. I'm open to suggestions. 

Demasoni-Kingdom-nice-rockwork-and-sand1.jpg

This is what I have on my 125, not sure if the same models are available in your area. I use both a Rena xp3 and fluval fx5 canister filter, for heaters I have a eheim jager. The Rena is almost 10 years old and still runs silent. I also have aquaclear hang on back filters on a few tanks and the work great if you want to go that route.

As for the bubbler, I've never used one. Never had any negative consequences.

I think I would just stock the labs and demasoni in 2 large groups with a few small synodontis catfish.
Also for lighting I have a cheap 6ft beamswork led fixture from eBay.

I will have to stick to external filters, as there is a glass condensation plate so it might get a bit fiddly with a hang on back filter. I've had a look at the Rena XP3 and it appears that they've discontinued it. As for the Fluval FX5, it might be a bit overkill for my tank. Have you used the Fluval 306 filter? 

I just had a look at the beamswork and they seem quite good and fairly cheap for lighting. 

In terms of stocking levels what would you suggest for a mix of labs, demasoni and synodontis? 

There's a new Fx4 out now.it's capable of doing water changes and siphoning etc too.
And I would use a 406 on your tank if that's what you decide.

You might be able to find the Rena xp under the api filstar now, the changed names at some point, but look exactly the same. I have a fluval 306 and haven't had any issues.

Demasoni have to be stocked in large groups, like 12+, to prevent aggression. Also if you get them have a backup plan fir rejected fish. Extra males will be puched out of the group and not removing the stressed fish can lead to malawi bloat or other disease. With that I would consider it taking up 2 species spots in a tank that would only hold 3 species.

gmc1 said:
There's a new Fx4 out now.it's capable of doing water changes and siphoning etc too.
And I would use a 406 on your tank if that's what you decide.

Any reason for the 406 over the 306? Is it just to help with overstocking? 

james41683 said:
You might be able to find the Rena xp under the api filstar now, the changed names at some point, but look exactly the same. I have a fluval 306 and haven't had any issues.

Demasoni have to be stocked in large groups, like 12+, to prevent aggression. Also if you get them have a backup plan fir rejected fish. Extra males will be puched out of the group and not removing the stressed fish can lead to malawi bloat or other disease. With that I would consider it taking up 2 species spots in a tank that would only hold 3 species.

I know it's best to keep cichlids in a ratio of 1 male to 3 females, but is there anyway of sexing prior to buying other than taking the LFS word? 
In a 225L tank would I be able to fit 12 demasoni, 4 labs and a few synodontis, or is that going to be too few/many?

Yeah.I have to run a 406 with a 206 on a 300 litre.it's defo not overkill.I have a heavily planted though.community.
In my experience more is better.

With labs and dems you'll have to vent them to determine gender, some sellers may do this for you. With the labs they might work with multiple males, since they're more on the peaceful side of mbuna. If the fish are young and can't be sexed at the time people usually by double to get the desired ratio, then trade in the others.

I would do 1m/4f labs with the 12 dems.

I would be interested in getting the fluval fx4, but it's expensive and it won't fit in the cabinet as the filter has to be smaller than 28.5cm wide and 50cm high. 

In terms of synodontis does anyone recommend a particular breed? I was thinking about 3 or 4 depending on the species/size they get to. 

h4qQwyR.jpg

Most reactions

Back