A Couple of Questions

I hate snails...I can deal with mystery snails but the mini snails that have over 62 egg cases on my glass are not my type.

No, I don't have anyone to feed my fry. They are between 2 wks to 4 months old. Aren't there automatic feeders?

I have tried assassin snails but when I got them they happened to be dead. I might try them again, though.

Four days is too long to go w/o feeding fry...
Eheim makes a good feeder: Adjustable output. Program up to 4x per day. Need to setup and test several days before leaving to ensure that proper amounts are delivered. For fry. I'd use appropriately crushed flake food.
eheimeveryday.jpg

Note: I know of some breeders that use auto feeders all the time for fry to ensure they are fed small amounts regularly.
EDIT - CAUTION: If the feeder delivery is too great, over feeding can result in a disaster of an ammonia spike.

Last edited:
Four days is too long to go w/o feeding fry...
Eheim makes a good feeder: Adjustable output. Program up to 4x per day. Need to setup and test several days before leaving to ensure that proper amounts are delivered. For fry. I'd use appropriately crushed flake food.
eheimeveryday.jpg

Note: I know of some breeders that use auto feeders all the time for fry to ensure they are fed small amounts regularly.
EDIT - CAUTION: If the feeder delivery is too great, over feeding can result in a disaster of an ammonia spike.
Is that something that is reliable? I might get one for each tank unless the food tablets that are made for going on vacation are better, at least for the adult fish.

How old are the baby guppies?
If they are a few days old they need feeding every day.

If they are more than a month old they should be fine for 4 days especially if there are plants in the tank.

How old are the baby guppies?
If they are a few days old they need feeding every day.

If they are more than a month old they should be fine for 4 days especially if there are plants in the tank.

30 of them are around 2 wks and the rest are 4 months. I don't have any plants in this tank.

The ones that are 4 months will be fine for 4 days without food. The 2 week old babies are going to need plants.

If you can separate the babies and put the youngest ones in a heavily planted tank they should be fine.

I wish I could but I don't have an extra tank or extra live plants. And don't say to get another tank; I want to stay away from MTS! lol

I might just get an automatic feeder and light timer.

Is that something that is reliable? I might get one for each tank unless the food tablets that are made for going on vacation are better, at least for the adult fish.
Yes, I have found the Eheim feeders to be very reliable for pellets and slightly pressed flake foods (as large flakes could plug up the deliver slot. Eheim also make a big brother to the one I posted that uses coil like augers. It also works well. HOWEVER, you have to take the time to "dial in" the dispersion volume - too little and you defeat your purpose - too much and you could create an ammonia spike.

Yes, I have found the Eheim feeders to be very reliable for pellets and slightly pressed flake foods (as large flakes could plug up the deliver slot. Eheim also make a big brother to the one I posted that uses coil like augers. It also works well. HOWEVER, you have to take the time to "dial in" the dispersion volume - too little and you defeat your purpose - too much and you could create an ammonia spike
Okay thank you I'm going to look into that.

Most reactions

Back