8 male guppies in a 15 gal planted tank? With cory cats?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Neil789

Reaction score
Hello all!

I have a 15 gal. column tank that is heavily planted and well filtered. I have an albino pleco that has lived there for about 4 years. I am thinking about adding the following:

7-8 (or as many as will fit while staying healthy) male guppies
2-3 cory catfish
1 nerite snail

Any thoughts on this set-up? Any alternative recommendations? I am aware that some guppies may have more aggressive personalities and may need to be separated. I am looking for a very active tank with many fish of the same breed, but I am not a fan of most tetras, so I thought male guppies would work well. Thanks in advance!

I would recommend danios especially the leopard danios. I like how they swim all around the tank instead of just sitting still.

Danios could be in a 15 gallon. I have seen people with them in 10 gallons.

I personally wouldn't do danios in a 10 or 15. Just because people put them in a tank that size, that doesn't mean the fish are necessarily thriving. Danios are an active fish and having a long aquarium (preferably a 3 foot long) is ideal, imo.

Last edited:
They are active but not like tetras which zoom around the tank very fast. But hey you guys do you.

They are active but not like tetras which zoom around the tank very fast. But hey you guys do you.
You have this backwards. Danios are wayyyy more active than tetras. Like nonstop moving constantly. I've never ever seen a danio sit still unless something was wrong.

I have a 15 gal. column tank
Can you tell us the dimensions of the tank, please.

Column tanks are usually tall with a small footprint and this limits the choice of fish. The length of tank is important as fish swim side to side not up and down; with a small swimming length, as with most column tanks, there are very few suitable fish.

Can you tell us the dimensions of the tank, please.

Column tanks are usually tall with a small footprint and this limits the choice of fish. The length of tank is important as fish swim side to side not up and down; with a small swimming length, as with most column tanks, there are very few suitable fish.

The tank is 13"x13"x19"
Any recommendations for what fish could fit in this size?

Is 19 inches the height?

Do you know the hardness of your water? Look on your water provider's website to see if they give it - you need a number and the unit of measurement rather than words.
A lot of the nano species of fish are wild caught so need to be kept in water with similar hardness to that which they came from.

Is 19 inches the height?

Do you know the hardness of your water? Look on your water provider's website to see if they give it - you need a number and the unit of measurement rather than words.
A lot of the nano species of fish are wild caught so need to be kept in water with similar hardness to that which they came from.
Water Hardness is about 200 PPM. And yes, 13x13x19 is LxWxH.

Most reactions

trending

Back