75 Gallon

I agree to a point but for really common fish that only have one commonly used name than I'd say that it is better to use that. :)
A lot of animals/plants have many different common names, not just one.

Last edited:
Sometimes the scientific names just sound way better. I tend to do that with my cories and pangio loaches, mostly because many have multiple common names and theres also many unnamed species... so just makes life easier.

Example: pangio oblonga
Common names: black kuhli loach, java loach, cinnamon loach, brown hagfish if you are Crispii. Some even call them "coolies" which i find annoyingly obnoxious.

But theres a few other pangio loaches that use "cinnamon loach" as well... so if i called them that, what ones am i talking about?

Sometimes going by the scientific name just clears it all up to which fish someone is taking about.

Sometimes the scientific names just sound way better. I tend to do that with my cories and pangio loaches, mostly because many have multiple common names and theres also many unnamed species... so just makes life easier.

Common names: black kuhli loach, java loach, cinnamon loach, brown hagfish if you are Crispii. Some even call them "coolies" which i find annoyingly obnoxious.

But theres a few other pangio loaches that use "cinnamon loach" as well... so if i called them that, what ones am i talking about?

Sometimes going by the scientific name just clears it all up to which fish someone is taking about.
I thought I was the only one who gets annoyed by "coolies" lol

And I'm the only one who calls Pangio oblonga, "hagfish loach."
(Except for the fact that I think it's funny and will start calling it that now)

I agree to a point. But every one know what a pearl gourmai is right? Anyway, I'll shut up now.

There is a good reason there.
Coolie and kuhli are both pronounced so similarly that there isnt a difference (unless you are spelling it....)
And then there's always an exception for crispii - like all thigs. :rolleyes:

:fun:

Most reactions

Back