75 Gallon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I try to use the common name and put the scientific name in brackets just in case the common name I use isn't used everywhere.
that's a good idea.
If you use the scientific names, I just skip the post because I have no idea what you’re talking about. Lol! I always think, “show offs” and move on to help the next person. :)
If i don't have the time to google it and there isnt a picture i skip it too! lol

The fear of using the scientific name boggles the mind. If you ask about a fish and expect reliable advice, you need to use the fish's name. I do occasionally fall into this trap myself, I admit, and I shouldn't because it is not sensible.

I recall seeing some "Silver Tetra" listed online as new acquisitions in a local fish store, so I called the owner whom I knew quite well and she said, "well, actually they came in as Gold Tetra, but they don't look gold they are silver, so I called them Silver Tetras." Now, how is anyone going to be able to track down information about that fish?

Nannostomus eques has several "common" names. Diptail Pencilfish, Rocket Tetra, Hockeystick Tetra...the latter is also used for the Penguin Tetra in many places, and there are two very similar "penguin" tetras to begin with. How are you going to get reliable data on this? If you order the fish thinking it is "x" and it turns out to be "y" you've got a problem, perhaps a serious one, if the fish you get turns out to be a terror.

I have seen two very different characins commonly termed "Darter Tetra," and they could not be further apart. Characidium fasciatum and Poecilocharax weitzmani. I have also known the former to be called "Humingbird Tetra," and so has another characin, Aphyocharax nattereri, and the latter has also been named "Dawn Tetra" and "Panda Tetra" and it is not even a Tetra. It is also one of the absolute meanest, nastinest, aggressive little fish you could ever meet.

Paracheirodon simulans has been termed the false neon tetra, the green neon tetra, the red fire tetra...there is another fish often seen under the latter name, can't remember it at the moment but that doesn't matter. But I do recall that it too is a nasty fish.

On Corydoras World, Ian will not allow members to use common names, unless the common name used is the species epithet, like "panda" for Corydoras panda. With members spanning the globe, common names are only common to the person using the name, as no one else necessarily knows what fish they might actually mean. "False juli" is banned, as there is no fish that is a "false" julii; Corydoras trilineatus is a species in its own right.

It was said of Sir Thomas More that he wrote in Latin, and while not everyone could read Latin, Sir Thomas' writings could be read anywhere in the known world because Latin was at that time a universal language for education, medicine, law and the Church. If you want to be understood, use the scientific name.

The fear of using the scientific name boggles the mind. If you ask about a fish and expect reliable advice, you need to use the fish's name. I do occasionally fall into this trap myself, I admit, and I shouldn't because it is not sensible.

I recall seeing some "Silver Tetra" listed online as new acquisitions in a local fish store, so I called the owner whom I knew quite well and she said, "well, actually they came in as Gold Tetra, but they don't look gold they are silver, so I called them Silver Tetras." Now, how is anyone going to be able to track down information about that fish?

Nannostomus eques has several "common" names. Diptail Pencilfish, Rocket Tetra, Hockeystick Tetra...the latter is also used for the Penguin Tetra in many places, and there are two very similar "penguin" tetras to begin with. How are you going to get reliable data on this? If you order the fish thinking it is "x" and it turns out to be "y" you've got a problem, perhaps a serious one, if the fish you get turns out to be a terror.

I have seen two very different characins commonly termed "Darter Tetra," and they could not be further apart. Characidium fasciatum and Poecilocharax weitzmani. I have also known the former to be called "Humingbird Tetra," and so has another characin, Aphyocharax nattereri, and the latter has also been named "Dawn Tetra" and "Panda Tetra" and it is not even a Tetra. It is also one of the absolute meanest, nastinest, aggressive little fish you could ever meet.

Paracheirodon simulans has been termed the false neon tetra, the green neon tetra, the red fire tetra...there is another fish often seen under the latter name, can't remember it at the moment but that doesn't matter. But I do recall that it too is a nasty fish.

On Corydoras World, Ian will not allow members to use common names, unless the common name used is the species epithet, like "panda" for Corydoras panda. With members spanning the globe, common names are only common to the person using the name, as no one else necessarily knows what fish they might actually mean. "False juli" is banned, as there is no fish that is a "false" julii; Corydoras trilineatus is a species in its own right.

It was said of Sir Thomas More that he wrote in Latin, and while not everyone could read Latin, Sir Thomas' writings could be read anywhere in the known world because Latin was at that time a universal language for education, medicine, law and the Church. If you want to be understood, use the scientific name.
Show off! :)

The driftwood at the right side, which was held by a rock for about two weeks, has finally been waterlogged. I gotta say, it looks really good. I figured out how I could scape the aquarium. My plan for this aquarium is to have a hardscape only tank with driftwood. I really want to have the illusion of "roots," not sure if it's an appropriate term, coming down. Also, the five pearl gourami (Trichopodus leerii) are doing great. They were initially shy, but over the course of a few days, they have started to become confident with their surroundings. Of course, this aquarium is still a work-in-progress.

20200622_165225.jpg

Ever thought of dropping the pH/TDS and adding some Sphaerichthys spp.?

I've also seen Trichopsis vittata and Trichopsis schalleri with pearl gouramis in blackwater environments.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back