75 Gallon Build - Large Goldies

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Please donā€™t add the fancy goldfish. They should never go in with tropicals. I use to breed black moorā€™s. As Retired Viking said, they need much cooler water. They will find tetras and other small fish as tasty snacks. Goldfish belong with goldfish. One correction Iā€™d like to make to what @PheonixKingZ said, fancies need 20 gallons for first and 10 for each additional. I have 2 tanks specifically set up as goldfish tanks. They are beautiful all by themselves. I limited my 75G to 3 fancies as my black moor is now 8ā€ long. Keep that in mind when stocking. They do get big. :)

Last edited:
The more I look into this and based on feedback, I will just be doing just 3 Fancy goldfish and no other fish.
Everything I have read online is 20-30 gallon per fancy, and this is the main type of fish I was building for anyway above all else.

I adjusted title of post to reflect the planned stock.
So glad to hear that. I have 14 tanks and the ones that everyone drool over are the goldfish tanks. Their size amazes people. :)

So glad to hear that. I have 14 tanks and the ones that everyone drool over are the goldfish tanks. Their size amazes people. :)
Even I donā€™t understand how big they can get. Itā€™s crazy that people keep them in bowls. :(

Ive seen large fancies once in a store in Cape Girardeau. The were in the $50-60 each range.
I was amazed by them. That and my fondness of the Black Moor is the entire reason behind the build.

Ive seen large fancies once in a store in Cape Girardeau. The were in the $50-60 each range.
I was amazed by them. That and my fondness of the Black Moor is the entire reason behind the build.
You see? I just love big fish. :wub:

It even has lighting. Such a deal. First person that shows up with cash in hand will scoop it up. You snooze...you lose.

I have a BN pleco with mine. They do great together. Just remember that the BN has a large bio load also. I have my 3 fancies, one is my 8ā€ moor and then the bn all in my 75G. They have lived together for going on 4 years now. :)

So I put concrete on my foam board this weekend (Pictures later).
Not 100% happy with it.
A lot of my detail I cut into was lost by the concrete. Either I just put it on too thick or I did not cut my foam deep enough in detail.
Not saying it is a loss, but I am thinking more long term here. Is this something I will forever be happy with.

I also have stock to worry about. I'm stocking 3 Large Fancies. One of them being a Black Moor. I am worried about potential damage from my design to the fins or eyes of the fish.
So save my background for a potential tropical tank at some point if I don't use it. Almost certain this is what I will be doing.

My two options:

A: A new background more friendly for goldfish. Stone or brick type of wall.
B: Traditional store bought background (The roll picture **** I have never been fond of)

Also substrate. Heavily leaning towards sand as its easier to clean. But feeding fancy goldfish with pellets, do I have to worry about sand getting in the gills etc?

Here is my background.
Like I am really not happy with it, the level of detail covered up. I should have cut deeper.
20200619_172921.jpg

Here is my background.
Like I am really not happy with it, the level of detail covered up. I should have cut deeper.View attachment 107522
I think it still looks really good :) but I am a perfectionist so I completely understand

I purchased more foam and glue. Still unsure if I am going to try again.
Trying to keep the long term in mind.
The worst you could do with making another one is deciding you need a second tank to put it in. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back