70L Planted "wise's Burton Dasset"

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Verminator89

Jack Dempsey Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, this has been in the planted section journals for a little while now. Having experienced its up and downs its currently back on track. Recent periods of neglect that were forced on me from troubles elsewhere in life, well, thats in the past now and this tank has my attention again :)

Its been through a few stages so far, up untill now where its really coming back into its own. I'll list a couple of stages each with a FTS up to how it is right now. Then add a few more over the coming months as it progresses.

I'll get the techy bits out the way now for those who are interested.

Tank: 24"x15"x12" (Length x Height x Depth) approx 70L
Lighting: x2 24W T5HO
Photoperiod: 7 hours (on)12 noon (off) 7pm
Ferts: Dosed via EI method using dry salts -->(weekly) 15ml Phosphate, 15ml Nitrate, 10ml EasyLife Profito
CO2: 15ml Flourish Excel daily (currently) Have been using a DIY FE untill mid-march
Stocking: 5 Yellow Honey Gourami's, 4 Oto's, 10+ Cherry Shrimp, 10+ Japonica Shrimp, 2 Red Cheek Acara
Plants: Hemianthus Callicthoides (HC), Pogostemon Helferi (Downoi), Cryptocoryne Undulata, Cryptocoryne Wendtii Green, Echinodorus sp?, Hydrocotyle Leucocephala, forgotten name of the stem plant?

Day one after the tanks first rescape, having moved it from the downstairs table back upstairs into my room having redecorated it finally. This was September 2010.

DSC_0008.jpg

By December 2010 it was filling out nicely, although the HC wasn't thriving in the conditions. I think CO2 was to low at this time. It was also quite 'bare' pretty much everywhere. I wanted to keep it simple, but this turned out to be too simple. Unfortunately i was running a crummy internal filter on this tank at this point as i my other halfs step-dad had an emergency with his tank and thus borrowed my external. I'm nice like that, sacraficing my planted tank for his fake-plant tanks needs :fun:

DSC_0187.jpg

By mid January 2011 i had decided it was time for an over-haul, giving it an entirely new look and a completely new routine that i was going to stick too. So i redid the tank, and rigged up a DIY Fire Exstinguisher to add CO2 to my tank. This is how it looked after planting. Also, by the start of February i had my external back up and running on this tank, the circulation started to make a noticeable difference.
DSC_0048.jpg

By March 2011 it was starting to perk up somewhat. This was taken about a week or so after a trim back of the plants. I never seem to get a picture when it looks its best, always either before a trim when its over grown and messy, or after a trim when it looks hacked back :lol:

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

And last but not least how it is as of yesterday. Again, i'm never one taking a picture when it looks 'tidy'. The Hydrocotyle on the left is crazy and wild, soon to be replaced by something a little neater. Also the stem plant at the rear is driving me mad, it grows to quickly and i'm useless at trimming stems, so hoping to replace with some more Cryptocorynes, like C Albida. Hoping to get Cyperus Helferi there too if i can source it.

12th May 2011
DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

So thats my tank as of now, future updates of how it progresses and adjustments i shall undoubtedly make will be added over time. Comments and Critiques always welcome ;) Although i may notice them more if they are posted within my journal on the planted side. I just thought i'd pop in here and show others who may not be over on the plante side yet :)

Cheers,
James

again mate, looks fantastic. It's still got some growing to do as well. Give it another month and it'll look even better than it does.

The tank looks awesome!! I love the Hydrocotyle!! Its one of my favourite plants but then again, maybe in a bigger tank huh! I just sold that tank on but i was cutting about 10-15cm of growth off every 1-2 weeks and replanting and it ended up looking like a hedge! lol

Loving the hemianthus, i never have any luck with it in any of the set ups i have had but i just dont have the patience, if it doesnt grow i take it out LOL.

I think the stem plant is some kind of Rotala, Rotala Rotundifolia maybe?

It's looking by far the best its looked! Well done James, you have some lovely tanks. What's the stock?

Very nice Verm. I wonder how the hydrocotyle would look if you trained it along the floor?

@minnnt - Why thank you. Stocking is listed at the top :) saves me re-typing it.

@BigTom - Train it along the bottom, how do you train it along the bottom. It only knows one direction, up - currently...haha

@challdog - The 'clover' like plant your referring to is Hemianthus Callitrichoides, or HC for short. Its IMO the best plant available to the hobbyist. Its a joy to work with and use, when it grows. Worth it, if you can keep it from melting in your tank! Most good stockists sell it, its commonly available.

Very nice tank mate. I agree with you on the HC, brilliant plant and yours looks lush and algae free. When I had my planted tank the hc always got covered in green slime algae :sick: Your stemmed plants need a trim, otherwise excellent.

@BigTom - Train it along the bottom, how do you train it along the bottom. It only knows one direction, up - currently...haha

I envisaged something highly technical like holding it down with that little bit of wood or the pogo or something :p

From the "techy" bit at the top.

"Stocking: 5 Yellow Honey Gourami's, 4 Oto's, 10+ Cherry & 10+ Japonica Shrimp, 2 Red Cheek Acara"

:good:

LOL! I re-read the write up 3 times and missed it totally... :blush:

Are your acara's a pair? If they breed i will have some fry from you.

Most reactions

Back