70 Litre (18 Gallon) Tank Restart

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

April_ht

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Yesterday, I came to the decision to swap my tank from cold water to tropical. I sold my WCMM and Corydoras, and now have an 18 Gallon tank empty and ready for a fresh start. I done a 95% water change and did not wash the substrate so as not to have to cycle again, though I suspect I may go through a mini-cycle. Problem is, I am now completely stuck on which fish would be suitable for me. I do want to do a community tank with either one school and one or two centrepiece fish plus maybe some shrimp or corydoras, or one large or two small schools plus the shrimp or corydoras. These are the fish I have in mind so far (with no extensive research done yet):

Centrepiece -
Betta (controversial opinions, risky)
Gourami - dwarf or honey, pairs?, risk of two males

Schooling -
Ember tetras - 10-16, low pH & soft water needed?
Pygmy Corydoras - 5-8, pricy

Bottom Dweller:
Panda corydoras, other corydoras? - 5-6, pricy
Cherry shrimp - 6 to start with, risky?
Ghost/rednose shrimp - cheap, native, hardy but not colourful

Parameters:
Hardness: 105mg/L or 5.64dGH (moderately soft)
pH - 7.5 tap water, 6.5-7 tank water after a few weeks
Temp - Will be 24 Degrees Celsius (75-76 Fahrenheit) or changed depending on species

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated, thank you.

So, avoid dwarf gourami and betta? And cherry shrimp too?
Also, we don't really have Chilli Rasboras in Australia and those we do are around $20 each, so would ember tetras work as an alternative?
Would a honey gourami or 2 work in with the mix, or hold off?
I do really like the Pygmy Corydoras, however was hoping I could find a bigger corydoras species so that I could have something to dwell on the bottom.
I'll check out your suggested species though and see what suits.
Thank you for the advice, @StripySnailGirl04 :)

Panda cories prefer cooler water than most tropical fish, a few degrees below 25 deg C, which makes tank mates more difficult. Pygmy cories would be a better choice, providing you have sand.
Your GH is fine for ember tetras as it is soft water.

Looking at your suggestions, ember tetras, pygmy cories, a pair of honey gouramis (natural coloured or yellow; red honeys are not actually honeys) and maybe shrimps depending on whether the fish eat them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back