The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

yoruyongbpei

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone :) this is our new journal following our updated upgraded tank we moved all our fish and such from our 45 gallon bow which will be used to house a Merauke Island Blue Tongue and a Red eyed Crocodile Skink probably turned into a double layer tank with some diy shelving added in but thats a completely different project. Currently we have all of our fish in a 70 Gallon bow corner tank in sand substrate combined with a planted gravel substrate, heavily planted with young plants that will grow out, and is double filter with one HOB sponge covered and one Submersible sponge filter. The water we used to fill the tank was directly from our 45 gallon bow tank and that water at least 3 months old so its still a bit young but beneficial nitrifying bacteria has been added in to help with the maturity of the tank, currently the tank is in the position that gets the most sun exposure without being directly in the windows to encourage green algae growth to help feed our Otocinlcus Catfish, Hillstream Loaches, Ghost shrimp, and Snails along with the possibility of creating a small sustainable colony of freshwater plankton for the later introduction of a Freshwater Pipefish. We also have an outdoor tank that has just recently been set up with a filter with no medium simply used to move the water, a heater, sparsely planted, and inhabitants include a 100 count mix plankton population(going to be introducing 300 more my first shipment was 300 hundred but they got eaten by the shrimp i left in the tank in the beginning when i started the idea of my plankton culture), several different types of small snails, and several blackworms, there is also duckweed and other varieties of floating plants as well, placed on the patio in the corner that receives the most sun exposure, along with underneath a small tank growing infusoria(experiment atm seeing if i can actually do this) and a couple of bottles filled with starter green water created from using an organically treated houseplant leaves blended in conditioned ph balanced water that will later be transfered to a small wide mouth open clear bowl(betta bowl :p) I am also planning on taking an aquaclear HOB filter and turning into a freshwater refugium filled with java moss and wisteria to cultivate plankton as well that will flow directly into the tank and help feed everyone.

Main Tank:
 So as was said above the Main tank was cycled with the addition of nitrifying bacteria, heavily planted with many anacharis plants, one large hornswort, several deposit of java moss, one large hanging Anubias, one small planted anubias, one small sword plant, two patches of dwarf grass, one small patch of dwarf tears, two ribbon plants, 4 Morimo moss balls, one patch of mondo grass, one java fern, and there is one piece of driftwood, one marine rock, one deco barnacle cave, two deco driftwood caves, one waterfall bubbler, one dragon bubbler, one Colosseum bubbler/cave, one submersible fulva water filter, one HOB tetra whisper waterfilter(possibly being replaced for a DIY converted Aquaclear refugium)

Water conditions:
Ph: 7.1
Water Clarity: Crystal Clear
Temperature: 74.2 F
Ammonia Levels: 0

Current Inhabitants:
1 Assassin Snail
1 Angelicus Botia Loach
1 Striped Kuhli Loach
1 Raphael Striped Catfish
2 Dwarf Puffers
2 Sumo Loaches
2 Mystery Snails
2 Black Kuhli Loaches
2 Butterfly Hillstream Loaches
2 Chinese Hillstream Loaches
3 Dwarf Gouramis
3 Otocinclus Catfishes
3 Panda Cory Catfishes
4 Glowlight tetras 
6 Neon Tetras
several Ghost Shrimp 
Several Ramshorn Snails
1924692_10202300612770488_1982478309_o_zps8f9fcc26.jpg
1909119_10202300613330502_248881968_o_zpsdfa30f13.jpg
1937932_10202300612130472_326168227_n_zpsb9f843da.jpg

1624632_10202300614250525_643854989_n_zpsd00bff9f.jpg

Outdoor feeder tank:
  Currently in the outdoor tank was a small seeding colony of plankton but will be added to by another shipment of 300 more freshwater plankton, The tank substrate is supernatural tahiti moon black sand, with a tetra can filter with no medium used to simply circulate the water, one submersible heater, 2 marimo moss balls, 1 anacharis plant, 1 hornswort plant, one java fern, one small patch of dwarf tears, one small deposit of java moss, one piece of driftwood, one river stone, several patches of duck weed and other floating plants

Water Conditions:
Ph: 7
Water Clarity: Clear
Temperature: 71 F
Ammonia Level: 0

Current Inhabitants
a small number of freshwater rotifiers
a small number of Daphnia
a small number of copepods
a small number of amphipods
a small number of orstrecods
a small number of Malaysian trumpet snails(more will be added i wish to cultivate them to feed my dwarf puffers
a small number of ramshorn snails
one assassin snail

hey everyone sorry for the inconsistent posts on this journal lots of things happening lately, just recently acquired a baby blue tongue from a rescue so have been dealing with that plus work, but I digress, The 70 Gallon corner tank is doing great though a day or two after my last/first post of this journal i had the opportunity to finally get a liquid test for my water general hardness, the tap water here is off the scale hard and i never noticed this could explain why in the very beginning when it was still just a 45 gallon bow i had a few mystery die offs, I have been since doing a weekly 25% water change with unremineralized RO water to reduce the hardness along with the addition of several water softening pillows as filter mediums, currently the water general hardness is going down steadily, luckily my KH seemed to be fine when i first tested it. so far though luckily all the fish are doing fine and my plankton tank/snail tank is beginning to thrive as well which is making me very hopeful for my freshwater refugium project that i am saving up for currently.

Main Tank:
  So far everything is fine the high GH has not effected the fish currently in the main tank in any visible way but I am sure its causing unnecessary stress to my fish using API water Softening Pillows and API water GH & KH liquid test to monitor my water GH. Currently dealing with fluctuating water PH due the hardness but that is also beginning to stabilize I hope to have my GH under control by my next post
Water Conditions:
Ph: 7.1-7.6
Water Clarity: Crystal Clear
Water Temperature: 74.4f
Ammonia Level: 0ppm
GH: 179ppm(It was past 214.8ppm before this)
KH: 1

Current Inhabitants:
1 Assassin Snail
1 Angelicus Botia Loach
1 Striped Kuhli Loach
1 Raphael Striped Catfish
2 Dwarf Puffers
2 Sumo Loaches
2 Mystery Snails
2 Black Kuhli Loaches
2 Butterfly Hillstream Loaches
2 Chinese Hillstream Loaches
3 Dwarf Gouramis
3 Otocinclus Catfishes
3 Panda Cory Catfishes
4 Glowlight tetras 
6 Neon Tetras
several Ghost Shrimp 
Several Ramshorn Snails

Outdoor plankton/snail Tank
    This tank is doing much better than i though it would be despite the water hardness which is currently extremely high, I am going to be doing a 50% water change with unmineralized RO water to fix this today but the plankton are swimming around happily eating the bacteria colony that has grown on the driftwood in the tank along Hikari brand first bites and small amounts of yeast, I added in another 300 plankton to the tank as well to help with the population(ordered the plankton from this link http://www.aquaculturestore.com/Plankton-mix.html, there are also hundreds of little baby Malaysian trumpet snails that the Assasin snail is eating but not enough to do any damage to the new population. The tank has started to become green tinted only ever so slightly but this has made me very happy for All of these will be contributing to my refugium to add a little more natural feeding cycle for my main tank .
Current Water conditions:
Ph: 7
Water Clarity: Clear but turning slightly green
Water Temperature: 71f
Ammonia Level: 0ppm
GH: 214.8ppm+
KH: 10

Current Inhabitants
a some freshwater rotifiers
a some Daphnia
a some copepods
a some amphipods
a some orstrecods
a some Malaysian trumpet snails(more will be added i wish to cultivate them to feed my dwarf puffers
a small number of ramshorn snails
one assassin snail

No photos with this post sadly sorry 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back