7 Neon's died overnight

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

stuhall1973

Reaction score
Just a general question really, not an emergency. I have a fully cycled tank with just two guppies in, the water levels have read ok now for 3-4 weeks so i know all is ok. I wanted to start stocking up my tank slowly and have just introduced 10 neons, all but 3 have died overnight, the guppies are ok though. Have i done wrong by adding this many neons at once (the lfs said there should be no problems), or have i just probably bought a poor stock of fish.

The tank is a 30 gallon, and i keep the temperature of the water around 80 degrees (25 celcius).

Thanks in advance of any help.

Some die to stress in a few hours or the next day, what are your test result in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate, and ph, noens like a mature tank of 6 months, also what was the ph of the lfs to your tank.

Readings are:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
P.H 7.5

The readings have been this for some while and i do weekly water changes, not quite sure what the lfs P.H was though, should of checked really !!

I would say sress then, just keep an eye on the others, always check on the lfs ph as if there is a big gap it can take hours to climatise them, or they will suffer ph shock and die.

ok thanks for the info. I will stay off the neon's for a while and see how things go.

Won't add anymore fish now for another 4 weeks and hopefully all should be ok.

Good luck with the rest of them.

Neons require a mature tank, even when water parameters are considered "ideal" I would leave it for about 6-9 months, then maybe try again, taking your time to acclimatise them. BTW, 80 degrees F is about 27 celsius. Good luck! :)

same thi g happened to me. # died in the first 2 days and the rest Are pretty dang hardy. They have been moved 4 times without acclimating and are still Fine.

Most reactions

trending

Back