7 gallon Neon Planted Cylinder

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Sed6

Reaction score
This is my first foray back into fish keeping after a 35 yr break. I was inspired by a YT video of a gent who did one similar, but smaller. I found the biggest cylinder vase I could, 24" x 10", and set to work. I won't rehash the headaches of starting a new aquarium from scratch but I am definitely pleased with the results. Two weeks in and everything is humming along nicely.

20220414_200925.jpg

I started with some salvinia for the surface, dwarf sag up front and elodea for the back. I went the perhaps outdated, and sometimes hated, fish in cycle route with 26 neons, a blue mystery snail and sterbai cory. I used Tetra Safe Start+ to jump start things and it seems to be working.

I have the hygger 999 full spectrum led light on top and a marineland 160 canister filter. Yes, let me explain that. 160gph divided by 8 gallons is 20 times per hr, but my flow is cut in half by my inline heater and the 6' lift to the top of my tank. That flow is further reduced by a ball valve to lower the flow to 40gph, so 5 times per hour, perfect IMO and my fish and plants agree. As a bonus, the canister and long hoses add about 1.5 gallons (that's 20%) capacity.

Everything is growing like mad! I love it. With careful feeding my small neons are catching up to their bigger brothers. Mr. Bluey had grown 20% and the plants, they've double in volume in two weeks! I'm trimming and planting every couple of days. The salvinia grows so fast I have to toss some each week to keep them from blocking all the light. I am dosing Flourish products including tabs, so that helps.

I'd appreciate some input from you all on my cycle progress. On days 3-4 I saw .25 and .50 ammonia with 0 nitrites and 5 nitrates. A 20% water changed dropped them all to 0, 0, 0. Days 5 saw .25 ammonia, 2.5 nitrites (first and only time) with nitrates back to 5. Day 6 saw 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and the now common 5 nitrates. Days 6-15 show 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 5 nitrates. Would you call that cycled? I expect, or expected, more nitrates at some point but maybe the plants keep them down that low?

Anyhow thanks for reading! I welcome any comments or questions.

Hello and welcome to the forum! I'm glad you cycled the tank but I'm afraid to say that your tank is wayyy too small... Even for just the neon tetras. For the stocking you have now I would be looking at getting 15 gallons and up. And if you do sterbai corys, I'd say get a 20-29 gallon tank... These fish are active swimmers and need bigger places to swim in. So try to look for a tank with 30 inches of horizontal swimming space. Like a 20 gallon long.

I will perhaps this year set up another larger aquarium. For now this setup was designed with this wall niche in mind. It should fill it out nicely with room behind the aquarium to drop hoses and lines to the cabinet underneath. It's a work in progress but here's the before pic and my concept sketch.

20220416_140141.jpg

And a little work in progress...
20220416_140609.jpg

I've wanted an aquarium here for more than a decade and it's finally happening!

So you guys think my numbers indicate it's fully cycled?

Thanks!

Still needs one piece of trim and cabinet hardware, but I'm going to call this done!
20220429_204326.jpg

20220429_204431.jpg

Still needs one piece of trim and cabinet hardware, but I'm going to call this done!
View attachment 158798
View attachment 158799
It looks nice... You did a very nice job on it. But I am a little sad you still put neon tetras in the 7g tall even when advised not to... They really shouldn't be housed in something like that...

It is great, you have thought about choosing the right fish and most importantly it looks great. For those that think neon's need room to swim. Rubbish, neon's are floaters so will be happy in this system

It is great, you have thought about choosing the right fish and most importantly it looks great. For those that think neon's need room to swim. Rubbish, neon's are floaters so will be happy in this system
Thank you very much. Floaters they are. Float here, float there, float everywhere! The tall shape lends itself to a distinct top, middle and bottom and it is interesting to see how my fish utilize it depending upon the time of day or their moods, etc. It's fascinating to watch them interact.

My early efforts to fatten up the skinny ones has finally paid off. Turns out they were mostly males, but still too skinny. I used a 24" Coral feeder to feed them when they would hide in the bottom. Each feeding (5x week) I coaxed them higher and higher and now they all eat together at the surface.

Being that I am constantly trimming and replanting my tank, with giant 24" hemostats, my fish have become accustomed to the intrusions. Same for the gravel vac. I suppose I'm pleased they seem to enjoy the action rather than act timid.

I just added three bunches of Jungle Val to fill out the background. Seller sent me 30" tall plants! I had to trim them because the Salvinia hogs the limited surface area already, but talk about instant background.

Oh speaking of limited surface area, I found everyone gulping air a few days ago. I about panicked. What have I done? What had I changed? My filter outlet! I angled it down to try a different flow pattern, and barely noted in my mind, that the surface agitation seemed less. A quick water change relieved their stress and I have the surface properly agitated again. Phew, lessons learned. Surface agitation is necessary for good O2/CO2 exchange especially when the surface is so small and my plants don't make enough O2 to support my fish population.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and criticism!

Thank you very much. Floaters they are. Float here, float there, float everywhere! The tall shape lends itself to a distinct top, middle and bottom and it is interesting to see how my fish utilize it depending upon the time of day or their moods, etc. It's fascinating to watch them interact.

My early efforts to fatten up the skinny ones has finally paid off. Turns out they were mostly males, but still too skinny. I used a 24" Coral feeder to feed them when they would hide in the bottom. Each feeding (5x week) I coaxed them higher and higher and now they all eat together at the surface.

Being that I am constantly trimming and replanting my tank, with giant 24" hemostats, my fish have become accustomed to the intrusions. Same for the gravel vac. I suppose I'm pleased they seem to enjoy the action rather than act timid.

I just added three bunches of Jungle Val to fill out the background. Seller sent me 30" tall plants! I had to trim them because the Salvinia hogs the limited surface area already, but talk about instant background.

Oh speaking of limited surface area, I found everyone gulping air a few days ago. I about panicked. What have I done? What had I changed? My filter outlet! I angled it down to try a different flow pattern, and barely noted in my mind, that the surface agitation seemed less. A quick water change relieved their stress and I have the surface properly agitated again. Phew, lessons learned. Surface agitation is necessary for good O2/CO2 exchange especially when the surface is so small and my plants don't make enough O2 to support my fish population.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and criticism!
The gasping can be caused by the size of surface space and the height of the tank. The deeper the tank the less oxygen near the center and bottom of the tank. Even if you have a lot of surface agitation, it cant really reach lower areas which makes fish go closer to the top and gasp for air. Maybe try increasing agitation with a bubbler or something?

could we see pictures of the tank with the vals?? Id love to see it!

I mean I guess... But it is a really small version of one...
I have to agree with Rocky re: the number /type of fish you have in here. They do look gorgeous, but the only reason they are "floaters" is they have nowhere to swim!

If anything happens to your aeration system they could easily suffocate - especially with such a small surface area - particularly when they all are mature.

Mine (10) are in a 16 gall tank and zip about all over the place. They are in with 2 each harlequins and glowlights, a male betta, 4 Nerites, and 4 amano shrimp.

If you want a "floater", think about a betta - they are attractive fish and make a good show, but aren't very active - and the shrimp are a delight! I notice you have a young son - he will LOVE feeding the shrimp and watching them pick up their shrimp biscuits in their little "hands".

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back