7 Foot, 1074 Litres, 284 Gallons.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

a pic of the tank now and some of the wood and plants to go in it.

Attachments

• Bigtank1.jpg
    Bigtank1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Bogwood1.jpg
    Bogwood1.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Bogwood2.jpg
    Bogwood2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 72
and the rest.
the plants are giant anubias and wendlov fern on a big rock, and a java fern mother plant on bogwood.
i will be selling these two soon as they will not be able to stay in the tank with the rays.

Attachments

• Bogwood3.jpg
    Bogwood3.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Bogwood4.jpg
    Bogwood4.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Plantedrock.jpg
    Plantedrock.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Javafernwood.jpg
    Javafernwood.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 66
a couple more pictures now i got the wood and plants in.
1st pic is a front view, 2nd pic is a side view.
3rd pic is my 7" hujeta/rocket gar and 4th pic is my 7-8" pink tailed chalceus.

Attachments

• X_tank_front.jpg
    X_tank_front.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 90
  • X_tank_sideshot.jpg
    X_tank_sideshot.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 66
  • X_tank_hujetagar.jpg
    X_tank_hujetagar.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 65
  • X_tank_characin.jpg
    X_tank_characin.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 87
7 ft tank.it's amazing..if i buy this 7 feeter then i keep there discus fish along with lots of plants and driftwoods...(though i have discus fish now in my 4 feeter tank)..lol....

i don't really wanna be paying over a grand on an aro, i can get 5 rtg (18") for a grand but until i know i will be able to sell on 4 i am reluctant to purchase!
i love the violet fusion aro's but as it is i love the fish, i couldn't justify spending that amount when the fact is i would enjoy owning a rtg just as much

what about buying them then selling them really cheap on ebay? even though theyre worth nearly £1k each, sell them for £300 (for eg) to shift them, and still make a profit?

tank is looking very good dave, keep up the good work :good:

hey i do appreciate the information and other people should understand that after 15 years you know what your talking about.
i will be sure to be fireing questions your way when the tank is ready to be stocked!
how wide is your tank? 3 foot?
are leo's too big for 30" width? think im going to go with the marbled motoro's from pier aquatics for my first rays, neil there said they max around 12" so should be fine!

thanks for the help!
Dave
a 12" motoro :rolleyes: maybe neil was just trying to make a good sale there

tanks looking good :good:
big and bare

i'll just keep the fluval for a spare, i have other tanks so it might still come in handy.
it is running now, well on one filter, i just need to get a hose clip thing for the eheim which seems to have been lost somewhere! only a few quid i think. these are supposed to be better than the fx5 i had before but they don't chuck out half as much water?!?!?!
water isn't on a metre, just the same each month no matter how much we use so im ok with that, 2 big filters and 4 lights and 3 heaters is what im worried about!, don't suppose the electric bill will be the same this month as last lol!
its just bits n bobs now, going to the lfs to order some eheim sucker things for the inlet and outlet pipes.
the guy who had the tank is selling 5 18" red tailed golden arowana, real nice ones, said i could have them all for £1000, if i can get it i will get them and sell 4 as i only want one, don't think im gonna have a grand anytime soon though lol
will try and get a pic later of it full and up n running lol

cheers,
Dave

i did originally post about this before, but the mods must not have liked my opinion :rolleyes:

what about buying the lot, keeping the one and selling the others on ebay for example at a reduced cost, £like 300 each, making you a small profit and hopefully shifting them as theyre at a low price?

cane, how big do the marbled motoro's get? it might have been some he named grey retics that got to 12" coming to think about it?!?!
erm, which specied do you know of that will live happily as a pair in a 84"x30"x24" tank? and the ones that are actually available to buy lol.

haych, i thought about that. been speaking to someone about a super red aro now though, give it a couple of months and hopefully the tank will be ready one and so may my bank balance lol. the super reds are gorgeous and for £800 for 6" isn't too bad (in comparison to arowana.co.uk's £1200 5-6")
will wait and see.
to be honest as well as being cheaper, i think id much prefer watching one of these fish grow from 6" as opposed to buying pone at 18"!

Dave

sorry about the double post, i was on post review, and it didnt appear, so i reposted it, and the first post suddenly appeared!

let us know what you do, i am dying to keep an eye on this one

cane, how big do the marbled motoro's get? it might have been some he named grey retics that got to 12" coming to think about it?!?!
erm, which specied do you know of that will live happily as a pair in a 84"x30"x24" tank? and the ones that are actually available to buy lol.

haych, i thought about that. been speaking to someone about a super red aro now though, give it a couple of months and hopefully the tank will be ready one and so may my bank balance lol. the super reds are gorgeous and for £800 for 6" isn't too bad (in comparison to arowana.co.uk's £1200 5-6")
will wait and see.
to be honest as well as being cheaper, i think id much prefer watching one of these fish grow from 6" as opposed to buying pone at 18"!

Dave

i totally agree. i watched a woman buy a £100 koi today, i'd rather buy a nice small one and watch it grow!

£100 lol i used to buy jap koi for around £800 - £1200, but they do last about 50 years lol, well that was my excuse anyway!
erm yeah, hopefully i will have the arowana just after christmas time, and think im definitely going for the super red.
then in maybe late january or febuary i shall be in search of a suitable pair of rays. may end up just going for a pair of reticulated rays, as thye are my first and 30" width isn't enough for most. then when i gain experience with rays might exchange the 285 gallon 7 footer to a 340 gallon 36" wide 7 footer as i really want to keep leopoldi rays! 1 step at a time and everything should eventually go to plan!
i have a bit of bogwood in there more or less the length of the tank but when i get rays and they grow i will remove it so to give them the full width of the tank!
i can't find and datnioides pulcher anywhere now, about a month ago i saw a couple, maybe that is a dead end road aswel! miht have to go for campbelli instead, any suggestions on alternative to a pulcher???

still wanting the zebra shovelnose too, seen them for around £250, is this the going rate for one around 6" does anyone know??

also still waiting on cane for the ray suggestions!!.............. hehe

cheers,
Dave

dunno if its near you but

this place is good for oddballs

http://www.wharfaquatics.co.uk/index.htm

also are the rays venemouse eg can you put your hand in the tank

as i have a 36 inch wide tank and am now thinking sorry to hijack

yes they are venemous, and yes they can cause quite nasty wounds, if treated (cleaned out etc) will cause no lasting damage, unless in vital parts of the body, like the chest. but most normal people don't go putting their chest in their fish tank. they only really sting if they feel their life is threatened.
needless to say i will clean the bottom of my tank with a rather long gravel vac!

can ya post a pic of your tank, iv seen the pic of it in the persons house, but a pic of it now you have it!

oh, wharf has a good selection, just not what im looking for, and its pretty far away from me, i either go to pier aquatics or bas. cheers anyway!

Dave

my tank is the same size dave and i would not think twice about putting leos in there
i have a pair of pearls in my big tank and i have no plans to upgrade them in the near future
i would just go for it :good: you will have years to think about them outgrowing it if you buy pups
motoro can reach 24" disc easily

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back