6 gallon eclipse aquarium kit

johnnypoohpooh

Reaction score
I know a betta would be a good idea, but I am wondering if there are any other options for me. Any ideas appreciated.

Hi Johnnypoohpooh

You could probably try some kind of shrimp or a crab if those kinds of things interest you. HTH :)

knvb7741 said:
Hi Johnnypoohpooh

You could probably try some kind of shrimp or a crab if those kinds of things interest you. HTH :)
But make sure you don't add both shrimp AND crab. Now that I think of it, I wouldn't trust crab with a long finned, slow fish either. An African Dwarf Frog or two also works with betta.

A few male guppies would probably work... shrimp and some ADF's... quite a few people do bettas shrimp and ADF's together and they work out well. What kinda of filtration do you have?

I don't see why anyone buys these. 10g kits are a fraction the price at 50 bucks. These are like 60 bucks for the 6g kits.

Space is one reason. My mom would like a tank and the spot she has to put it would fit one of the 6 Gallon eclipse kits but not a full 10 Gallon. She also doesn't have the health to care for a larger tank. A 6 Gallon Eclipse would only need a 1 gallon water change a week once cycled. :)

I think that the bigger the tank, the easier. More stable. 6 is really small to keep it stable.

eclipse tanks are acrylic show tanks with the filter out of sight, so it leaves more room in the tank and i think they look better, you're paying for the look and name with an eclipse, that's why a smaller tank cost more.

It doesn't matter, lets just help Johnny find some fish for the thing!

you could really go with any type of livebearer (molly, guppy, platy, swordtail), a couple of one kind or one of a couple. keep in mind the one inch of fish to one gallon of water rule (best not to stretch this rule in a small tank). its too small for any schooling fish like tetras or danios or rasboras, not enough room to swim about. a little group of cories (3-4) would work, panda cories are smaller than most and would be excellent in your little tank to keep the bottom clean.

how about a pair of killifish?

If you decide to get a couple of livebearers, get 2 males or you'll end up with fry. DON'T get swordtails or anything but ordinary fancy mollies. Swordtails and larger mollies are too large and two male swordtails alone in such a small tank would spell disaster for one or the other or both... I would go with 2 male guppies or 2 male platies myself. Guppies are better for a smaller tank. You could even have 3 male guppies in a 6 gallon.

Cories are a bad idea because they are shoaling fish and each get up to 2-3 inches. They should be kept in at least groups of 4 of each species so unless they are dwarf cories (1.5 inches) you could not provide them with this.

I think killifish are a great idea. Another option would be 5 mosquito fish... they are livebearers but tiny. Dwarf cories are also a lot of fun.

I really appreciate all the suggestions. I think I have decided to get a few red fire platys. This aquarium is really for my mom. Since I started keeping fish she has gotten more and more interested in getting an aquarium of her own. I looked up some pictures of the platys and showed them to her and she loved them. Thanks again for all the help. You guys rock!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back