55 gallon tank leaking water.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Retired Viking

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
My 55 gallon tank is leaking water. It was shooting out a small stream of water along the front corner. I have drained the tank down to the point where it is leaking and it has stopped. Would appreciate any advice. I have around 50 small fish in about 6 inches of water now. Would like to know if there is a way to patch it so I can refill the tank without having to remove the fish.

Oh man, nightmare!

I haven't had to fix a tank leak so I'm not much help, I'm sorry. But I'd whip out your spare tanks you have in the basement and start doing some seeded cycles, just in case. Usually using aquarium sealant means emptying the tank... since if it's leaking in one spot, the whole lot probably needs re-doing I think, and it needs to be kept bone dry for at least 24 hours.

I just don't think I'd be able to sleep with fish in a tank that had sprung a leak... I'd be imagining the sealant continuing to split further down and thinking I'd wake up to a dry tank and all of them gone :( At least if you have some seeded tanks going ready, if you can't find out how to patch it or you're not sure, you can bung the fish in while you find out or get supplies or get some sleep, just in case! Then only start removing sand and stuff if it's confirmed you need to reseal the whole thing.

It is a small hope like a needle poked it.
I would say just clean it and patch it with fresh silicone, but silicone doesn't stick well to other silicone so it would only be temporary. I think you're gonna have to reseal the whole tank...

I used a razor knife to clear an area about 2 inches around the leak. I have an old tube of aquarium sealer that appears to be still good. I am happy I found it before it drained a lot of water only a gallon or so. I was standing there when I head a funny sound and saw the water squirt out about 6 inches or so. I put pressure on it and it stopped to a slow drip when I had to let it go so I could start working on the tank.

Most reactions

Back