Are 55 gallon tanks becoming harder to find? Seems to be, run from 40 to 75 gallons

JCinPA1

Fish Crazy
Supporting Member ⭐
Joined
Apr 23, 2026
Messages
277
Reaction score
167
Points
43
Location
Philadelphia
I've been looking for a Marineland 55 gallon and they are not easy to find. Forties and 75's are very easy to find. Some premium makers have discontinued the 55. A 75 would be great, but I have a piece of existing furniture that is perfect for a 55 but too small for a 75.
 
Well in truth they are probably not disappearing though most that i see are aqueon (i believe marineland is probably better sealed; at least my 120 was); having said that 55 is a horrible aquarium in terms of dimensions - i understand that you can only support a 12 inch wide aquarium but generally long narrow aquarium are pretty bad at keeping large fishes and yet the 55 has all that height.

I think petsmart might carry the marineland 55 but not sure as i rarely use them or petco. I stand corrected they only carry 10,40 and 75. They do have a 55 aqueon but i personally prefer marineland over aqueon.
 
My local PetCo offers both their Imagitarium Brand or the Aqueon Brand 55s at $100 on sale.

I only buy Aqueon tanks. I dislike the Perfecto (Perfecto fish tanks, now manufactured under the Marineland brand) brand and will not buy anything Imagitarium. But, that is just my opinion.

I used the 55 for my Altum Angels- they need a deeper tank because they get long ventrals and, as adults their dorsal and anal fins tip to tip mean they are pretty tall fish when full grown.
 
Yes, the Marineland is the only brand I have a lot of confidence in. Aqueon, Top Fin, Imagitarium, not sure I have the confidence in them. I think Marineland quit making them.

I’m stuck with that size based on location and furniture, it’s not that I wouldn’t prefer a 75.
 
I have a marineland 75 and a marineland 60. I love my 75 gallon had it for a few years, it comes with the press board stand which for me is still in very good shape but, if it starts getting any water damage I will build another stand. The Stand tank combination was relatively inexpensive at the time, but I have noted that the prices have gone up quite a bit lately. I also have the Marineland 60 which might fit on your existing stand, they have this tank on their website. I think it is the same as a 55 just a bit taller 24" vs 22" tall. It was/is a well made tank, I find I don't like tall narrow tanks hard to maintain the hardscape at the bottom of the deep hole, and the height over the 20" for the 75 gallon tank didn't give me anything other than allowing taller plants, my angels were as happy in 20" as they were in 24". Anyways if you are stuck with using a 48 x 12" base you might want to consider the 60. But if you could give yourself 6 more inches out from the wall a 75 is a nice mid sized tank.
 
Dang. I wanted a Marineland, but even Aqueon stopped their 55's. At least they are X'd out at Petsmart's website. They have a Tetra 55, but I'm not sure I have the confidence in that. Bummer.

I did find a 55 gallon Aqueon for local pickup at a PetCo store. I'm not ready to set it up yet, but I may grab it just to have it when I want it. Although I would have preferred Marineland, Aqueon seems to have a decent rep, also.
 
Last edited:
I made the mistake of upgrading from a 20 tall to a 55, I kept the tank all of 2 months before upgrading again to a 75. The width of a 55 is just dumb, the 75 dimensions are so much smarter. Of course that is if you can make it work with your stand. I was fortunate to find a beefy media cabinet made of 100% wood to use as a stand for the 75. Alas I don't have any 75 gallons anymore, at on point I had 8 of them set up.

On another note, I am finding Aqueon tanks very had to find. I used to get them at Petco but now they a swapping to Imagitarium (or whatever their house brand is) with the tanks, lids, lights, substrate and filters. It bums me out because I want a choice between brand and house. For example Michael's (a craft store) swapped out their Wilton cake decorating section with their in house brand. I would rather have Wilton pans, food color, tips and baking accessories.
 
I made the mistake of upgrading from a 20 tall to a 55, I kept the tank all of 2 months before upgrading again to a 75. The width of a 55 is just dumb, the 75 dimensions are so much smarter.

I used to have access to three different 55 gallon dimension possibilities - a 4 footer, and two 3 footers - one deeper front to back and shallower, and one taller and narrower. I had the deeper footprint, shallower one, and it was a useful, solid tank til I dropped it loading tanks for my move east. One person's 55 isn't another's...

I honestly haven't looked for one for a long time to see what's out there around here, but it remains a popular size in my region. We don't have the big corporate chains as much here, so there are more diverse products available. Fish no, but if you are prepared to sell the car to get a tank, there are lots of possibilities!
 
Imagitarium is Marineland? I have had a few tanks leak over the years to include all the brands discussed in this thread.

What about Seapora. They claim to make high quality tanks etc. and they make 55s. I see them for just under $200 some places. The make a ton of different sizes and kits as well. They make a lot of the sizes the others stoppped making.
 
Seapora, I think, are pretty much all custom order tanks. The quality is superb, but I'm not sure they just make tanks I can grab in a fish store.


I stand corrected, I can get a Seapora Standard 55 at a store about 90 minutes away, I think!
 
Seapora is a big selling brand in my corner of Canada. They go on a very high quality glass angle, and seem very sturdy. I have a rack of their tanks for killies - a bunch of 10s I picked up when a local pet store was clearing out to move and had bought larger replacements for their new location. Mine were five bucks each, but I don't think you'll get away with that price...
 
Seapora, I think, are pretty much all custom order tanks. The quality is superb, but I'm not sure they just make tanks I can grab in a fish store.


I stand corrected, I can get a Seapora Standard 55 at a store about 90 minutes away, I think!
No seapora has a line of predefined tanks if you have a store that sells them near you. They are nicer tanks but hard to find.
 
Imagitarium is Marineland?
I doubt it - they are not well made and word of mouth they are prone to separating. I won't touch one not worth the head-ache.

Man - when i move in 2 years i'm gonna have access to so many great stores it is bewildering how devoid this city of my current residence is given the size and popularity. The advantages of moving to a small town with real pet stores.
 
Last edited:
Yep, I found a dealer about 90 miknutes away. Seapora sounds like the real deal. Imagitarium is a house brand for PetCo. Who knows who makes them? It's not Marineland, though.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top