55 gallon filter

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Irishlad123

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone hope yee are all well. I have a 55 gallon tank and sadly my filter is on its last legs. I was wondering would a fluval 307 flow rate be too fast for slower moving fish such as gouramis Angels ect. If not would anyone recommend the filter or is their some other filter which would be better.

All Pond Solutions equipment is worth a look. I'd probably go for the 1000EF. In terms of flow rate, you have options in terms of spray bars and stuff like that.

With canister filters, considering the fish mentioned, the size recommended for the aquarium will be ideal. The Fluval 307 is rated for tanks up to 70g, so that is fine. As already mentioned the spray bar will give you options; I have had these aimed into the end wall, across the surface, or removed with just the filter return spigot to create more surface disturbance. Make sure you have sufficient filter tubing because you want the intake and return at opposite ends of the tank, lengthwise. If the filter has to be placed at one end of the tank rather than under it, one of these tubes will be much longer than the other. Always cut them accordingly, so you do not have too much tubing at the "short" end.

Iā€™m really partial to Eheim canisters, theyā€™re the only ones Iā€™ll ever use. They last forever, Iā€™ve been using one continuously since 1999 (with no repairs or replacement parts).

I really think they are one of the only (if not the only) external filters made correctly in terms of media capacity, thereā€™s lots of room and not filled with mechanical sponge like fluvals.

Iā€™m really partial to Eheim canisters, theyā€™re the only ones Iā€™ll ever use. They last forever, Iā€™ve been using one continuously since 1999 (with no repairs or replacement parts).

I really think they are one of the only (if not the only) external filters made correctly in terms of media capacity, thereā€™s lots of room and not filled with mechanical sponge like fluvals.

I second the Eheim. I acquired three in the mid 1990's and they ran non-stop for 20 years and 21 years, and the third was still in operation when I gave it away last year with the tank as I moved and had to downsize. This is not to say Rena (or API now I think), Fluval, or whatever are bad filters, but they have not yet acquired the long-term record that Eheim has. Though someone did once tell me that Eheim is now lesser quality, I believe he said they were acquired by another corporation...not sure, but the ones made in the last century were well made.

I second the Eheim. I acquired three in the mid 1990's and they ran non-stop for 20 years and 21 years, and the third was still in operation when I gave it away last year with the tank as I moved and had to downsize. This is not to say Rena (or API now I think), Fluval, or whatever are bad filters, but they have not yet acquired the long-term record that Eheim has. Though someone did once tell me that Eheim is now lesser quality, I believe he said they were acquired by another corporation...not sure, but the ones made in the last century were well made.

Agreed, many of their products last forever. The Rena Filstar is also good.

Eheim has taken a step back in quality to some degree in the last decade or so. They are having some things made in China and are fiddling with once excellent quality things (like Jager heaters) to be cheaper and more competitive in our price focused Amazon era. As far as I know Eheim has not been acquired by another company, they are a prime example of a successful German ā€œmittelstandā€. Many of their products are still made in Germany and are excellent quality, I believe you can tell which product has been made where by looking at the box and the item itself.

I heard that SeaChem filter is a great filter for 55-gallon fish tank. Two major wins are the surface skimming functionality and the submersed pump location. With the pump inside the tank, under the waterline, the pump is self-priming or more accurately, doesn't need priming.

I have a Fluval 306 running in a 200l tank. I do have a spray bar attached which is pointed at the surface and gives a fair bit of surface movement. You can adjust the flow rate as well using the handle which cuts off the water to the filter.

This post is from May 2020. I believe the OP has gotten a filter by now. :)

Most reactions

Back