37g Cycling Journal: Advice Welcome!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

carligraceee

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys. This is going to be where I keep my water changes (I also have a Google Sheet). I really just want to keep up with my results and see if they are normal and where they are supposed to be! Your advice is welcome and appreciated.

Plants:
- Amazon Sword
- Dwarf Hairgrass
- Umbrella Plant
- Unknown plant

Decor:
- Coral Rock
- Driftwood

Substrate:
- Fluval Planted Aquarium Lava Rock

Still deciding on the stock. Please check out my last thread if you have any recommendations!

Thank you!

Hey guys. This is going to be where I keep my water changes (I also have a Google Sheet). I really just want to keep up with my results and see if they are normal and where they are supposed to be! Your advice is welcome and appreciated.

Plants:
- Amazon Sword
- Dwarf Hairgrass
- Umbrella Plant
- Unknown plant

Decor:
- Coral Rock
- Driftwood

Substrate:
- Fluval Planted Aquarium Lava Rock

Still deciding on the stock. Please check out my last thread if you have any recommendations!

Thank you!
Alrighty cycle is off an running!!!

Day 1 Parameters (2 cap fulls of ammonia hydroxide):

Ammonia: 3ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: 3ppm
pH: 7.2
Temp: 79F

Alrighty cycle is off an running!!!

Day 1 Parameters (2 cap fulls of ammonia hydroxide):

Ammonia: 3ppm
Nitrates: 3ppm
pH: 7.2
Temp: 79F
Day 3 Parameters (No ammonia hydroxide added):

Ammonia: 2ppm
Nitrates: 1ppm
pH: 6.7
Temp: 85F

Really worried about the pH and my mom won't let me replace the livebearers... I will have to by Rift Lake Salts sometime soon, anyone know where I can find those?

Day 3 Parameters (No ammonia hydroxide added):

Ammonia: 2ppm
Nitrates: 1ppm

Really worried about the pH and my mom won't let me replace the livebearers... I will have to by Rift Lake Salts sometime soon, anyone know where I can find those?
Day 6 Parameters (No ammonia hydroxide added):

Ammonia: ~2.5ppm
Nitrites: .5ppm
Nitrates: 6ppm
pH: 7.0

Doing well- is this a good start so far?

When you say coral rock do you have any pictures? Some rocks that would fit under this name will effect your ph and hardness?

Wills

When you say coral rock do you have any pictures? Some rocks that would fit under this name will effect your ph and hardness?

Wills
I am using the one that makes the water harder and ups the pH. I wanted that since I am adjusting my soft water to hard water!

Day 6 Parameters (No ammonia hydroxide added):

Ammonia: ~2.5ppm
Nitrites: .5ppm
Nitrates: 6ppm
pH: 7.0

Doing well- is this a good start so far?
Day 9 Parameters: (Two capfulls of ammonia hydroxide added):

Ammonia: .2ppm
Nitrites: 3ppm
Nitrates: 40ppm
pH: 6.5
Temp: 87F

Highest the nitrates have been!!!

Day 9 Parameters: (Two capfulls of ammonia hydroxide added):

Ammonia: .2ppm
Nitrites: 3ppm
Nitrates: 40ppm
pH: 6.5
Temp: 87F

Highest the nitrates have been!!!

Day 11 Parameters: (No ammonia hydroxide added):

Ammonia: .25ppm
Nitrites: 2ppm
Nitrates: 20ppm

Ammonia is steady!!
@Slaphppy7

Last edited:
Why have you got the tank set at 85F that is rather warm for livebearers and most other fish.

Why have you got the tank set at 85F that is rather warm for livebearers and most other fish.
It is currently dropping, I got a pretty strong heater so I am trying to find the right setting. I mess with it every night and it is moving down closer to 83. I usually keep my tanks at a good 78. But this is a good temp for the bacteria to grown in for right now. Don't worry, I won't introduce fish until everything is perfect! :)

A higher temperature than we normally keep fish at is recommended for fishless cycling as this grows the bacteria faster. Anything up to 85 deg F.

Yes, nitrite will shoot up higher than we can measure. That's why it's important not to add too much ammonia or so much nitrite will be made that the cycle stalls. It's now a question of waiting till you have zero ammonia, then zero again 2 days later.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back