35L (7 gallon) shrimp tank advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cherrygrazing537

Reaction score
I'm currently cycling a 7G tank for housinf cherry shrimp there a a fee zebra snails too. What small single(pair) tropical fish other than a betta can I add that wont eat shrimp fry or mind being solitary. All suggestions welcome?

Would personally not put guppies in a 7G tank despite what certain websites says.

Personally I have had 5 gallon tanks and these have always been just set up for shrimps and snails and some nice wood and selection of nice plants. Simple but very effective.

But otherwise I would just either have a betta and snails, shrimps are a possibility but more often than not they become expensive snacks for the betta!

So just a single betta or a shrimp only set up is best options imho.

Sorry but these tanks are basically too small for most of the commonly sold fish species :/

yeah i agree someone suggested pygmy corys but how many would a tank this size hold, not enough i imagine as theyre best in groups or maybe the smaller endler guppys ive seen?

Last edited:
Sorry but these tanks are basically too small for most of the commonly sold fish species :/
Yep pretty much exactly this.

About all they can be used for is a single Betta or a shrimp/snail only tank. Sometimes you get away with mixing the two, sometimes not, depends on the Betta.

I would personally make it a nice little aquatic garden with some shrimp/snails in.

Yep pretty much exactly this.

About all they can be used for is a single Betta or a shrimp/snail only tank. Sometimes you get away with mixing the two, sometimes not, depends on the Betta.

I would personally make it a nice little aquatic garden with some shrimp/snails in.
yes, correct, some guppies would defiently work in there though

yeah i agree someone suggested pygmy corys but how maybe would a tank this size hold, not enough i imagine as theyre best in groups or maybe the smaller endler guppys ive seen?
Yeah thats the issue.
Most fish that are ok alone need a bigger tank.
Fish that are technically maybe small enough also need to have a large group as well so need a bigger tank.

That's why Bettas tend to be the only fish for these size of tanks as they are one of the few fish that is ok being alone and doesn't need massive amounts of swim room.

I would definitely not add a betta or guppy, especially if you plan on breeding the shrimp. Shrimp fry would end up as a small snack. I hear ember tetras may be alright, they look too tiny to really be able to eat shrimp fry. Maybe some snails or a pleco, but I think a little shrimp garden is your best bet.

What shape is the tank? I have one just slightly smaller than yours but it's a cube which means little swimming length. Mine is suitable only for shrimps because of this. With even the smallest fish, the minimum tank length is 45 cm/18 inches, except perhaps for bettas.

Betta's can be kept in 7 gallon tanks but you need to be aware that many bettas will kill shrimps. I had one that I tried with shrimps and he actively hunted them down.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back