30l Hermit Crab Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

techen

Wolf Overlord
Reaction score
So I had a 30L tank just sitting in my room so I went and bought live sand, Live rock and some marine water in a big 25l buckethingywhateverit'scalled.

Anyway, I've set it all up with my air pump running, just gotta wait for the sand to set to see if we have any hide aways :p

I'll keep this updated as much as possible but am somewhat new to marine stuff.

20121231_173908_zps9e0b61c4.jpg

That's about 8 gallons. If you use the smaller reef hermits you could keep quite a few in there as long as you have enough extra shells to support the colony.

That's kind of a cool way to get into salty tanks.

What type of hermits? You could probably put some sexy shrimp in as well.

That's about 8 gallons. If you use the smaller reef hermits you could keep quite a few in there as long as you have enough extra shells to support the colony.

Was speaking to Donya, She suggested these.

800px-Calcinus_elegans.jpg

Was also looking at these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Halloween-Hermit-Crab-Clean-up-crew-algae-eaters-CUC-/150961838153?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item232606d849

She nailed it. The neon blue knuckle was exactly the crab I was going to suggest. They are very good hermits to look at and get along with each other well too. I would say you could do 3 of them in 8 gallons without issues. If you did 5 you just have to make sure they all have shells and that they are clearly different sizes. I have 8 of them in my 210 and they really are great to look at. In a tank that small you will have to feed them.

She nailed it. The neon blue knuckle was exactly the crab I was going to suggest. They are very good hermits to look at and get along with each other well too. I would say you could do 3 of them in 8 gallons without issues. If you did 5 you just have to make sure they all have shells and that they are clearly different sizes. I have 8 of them in my 210 and they really are great to look at. In a tank that small you will have to feed them.

Thank you Tcamos, What of the halloween ones? Or should I just get the blue. Also what do I feed them?

Halloweens are great, I have 5 of them. However, they are heavy algae eaters and I think in a small tank like that it might be too much of a bother to keep them fed. The blues eat a greater variety of food so tend to be easier to keep. If you are willing to keep algae in there they are probably the only other hermit you could do with the blues. Halloweens are cone shell crabs and so the blues aren't interested in their shells. You could probably do a piece of nori tied to a rock for them but that means more fequent water changes.

Halloweens are great, I have 5 of them. However, they are heavy algae eaters and I think in a small tank like that it might be too much of a bother to keep them fed. The blues eat a greater variety of food so tend to be easier to keep. If you are willing to keep algae in there they are probably the only other hermit you could do with the blues. Halloweens are cone shell crabs and so the blues aren't interested in their shells. You could probably do a piece of nori tied to a rock for them but that means more fequent water changes.

I see, So I can mix both halloweens and blues?

Good to see some pics! That is a nice little tank.

So I can mix both halloweens and blues?

I would stick to one species. You might be able to do it with those two specifically since they're two fairly peaceful species and utilize totally different shell shapes, but inter-species aggression goes way up in smaller spaces. You can get some sudden and unexpected fights that don't happen in a single species environment.

Good to see some pics! That is a nice little tank.

So I can mix both halloweens and blues?

I would stick to one species. You might be able to do it with those two specifically since they're two fairly peaceful species and utilize totally different shell shapes, but inter-species aggression goes way up in smaller spaces. You can get some sudden and unexpected fights that don't happen in a single species environment.

I see, So blues seem the easiest out the lot to care for. That's not a issue then. I'll get a few blues and see how it goes.

Also I'll post more pics, I bought a cheap LED unit for lighting for now. Will be upgrading to T5's and might look into soft corals if its possible?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back