30l Hermit Crab Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I see, So blues seem the easiest out the lot to care for. That's not a issue then. I'll get a few blues and see how it goes.

Also I'll most more pics, I bought a cheap LED unit for lighting for now. Will be upgrading to T5's and might look into soft corals if its possible?

Sounds good. You could definitely do some softies in the tank with T5s; can be done with LEDs too but the spectrum has to be right.

I see, So blues seem the easiest out the lot to care for. That's not a issue then. I'll get a few blues and see how it goes.

Also I'll most more pics, I bought a cheap LED unit for lighting for now. Will be upgrading to T5's and might look into soft corals if its possible?

Sounds good. You could definitely do some softies in the tank with T5s; can be done with LEDs too but the spectrum has to be right.

The leds are insanely cheap but would it be at all helpful for corals? :p

And are these the blues?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLUE-LEGGED-HERMIT-CRABS-x-1-GREAT-PEACEFULL-MARINE-CRAB-/370723111116?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item5650d1c0cc

What are the bulbs like? Got a link that has any specs on what you have?

I bought these just to bring light to my tank for now

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181030233787?var=480202840658&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

I am however looking at these at a later date

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150792930378?var=450073234085&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

Actually those LEDs might work...hmmm. Very similar to some other LED fixtures I've seen used on small sw tanks. Unless someone else comes along who knows that exact fixture and says it didn't work I would say it's worth a try with a mushroom or two and seeing how it goes.

Actually those LEDs might work...hmmm. Very similar to some other LED fixtures I've seen used on small sw tanks. Unless someone else comes along who knows that exact fixture and says it didn't work I would say it's worth a try with a mushroom or two and seeing how it goes.

So a mushroom coral is worth a try? My LFS sell those and they look pretty cool.

Tanks clearing up abit now, Anyone know what this is?

20121231_225942.jpg

Looks like a worm?

Those are the only two I would do if you do two. Like donya said.

Well, I just tested my tank and am alittle confused with the results if anyone could help me :3

20130101_154139_zpsa8c557e6.jpg

My PH is around 8.2 - 8.4 which I believe is prefect for the crabs I want.

The only part that confuses me is it's showing ammonia although I could be wrong but no nitrite? It's also showing some Nitrate? Is that a midway through cycle or is the water I got bad?

It looks like a worm techen, I cant say if it is though as I have never seen/had one.

Hard to tell because the pic is dim but ammonia looks like it might be the zero for sw. The cloudiness that happens in sw makes it a bit hard to read. The way to resolve that is to do a test on the leftover sw you have from the shop in one of the other tubes and hold the two up together to see if they match. I've had to do that many times even when having the sw scales on hand.

LR cycles don't always show spikes in the expected order. Sometimes ammonia and/or nitrite can get left out and in rare cases you don't even see anything happen. The most common case is to see the usual series of spikes, but the last tank I set up from scratch only showed a very faint NO2 spike after a couple days of the rock going in.

Hard to tell because the pic is dim but ammonia looks like it might be the zero for sw. The cloudiness that happens in sw makes it a bit hard to read. The way to resolve that is to do a test on the leftover sw you have from the shop in one of the other tubes and hold the two up together to see if they match. I've had to do that many times even when having the sw scales on hand.

LR cycles don't always show spikes in the expected order. Sometimes ammonia and/or nitrite can get left out and in rare cases you don't even see anything happen. The most common case is to see the usual series of spikes, but the last tank I set up from scratch only showed a very faint NO2 spike after a couple days of the rock going in.

So overall what does it mean? Shall I wait till the ammonia drops to zero? I'll get some water out of my bottle to compare as well.

So overall what does it mean? Shall I wait till the ammonia drops to zero? I'll get some water out of my bottle to compare as well.

Yep, make sure the ammonia and nitrite are zeroed out for a few days just to be safe and then check nitrate again to make sure it's still low. Once that happens, you are ready for a couple critters.

So a mushroom coral is worth a try? My LFS sell those and they look pretty cool.

Missed this earlier, sorry. Mushrooms are pretty hardy, at least the ones that are mostly reddish or brown. I would avoid things like metallic green and blue mushrooms since they tend to be more finicky (not to mention that they tend to cost an arm and a leg). Putting a shroom in to watch for a while would be a good first test with the light after the tank has been running for a few weeks.

Most reactions

Back