30 Gallon Tips And Stocking

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Valiant

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of upgrading to a 30 gallon tank and I need help deciding on what fish to put in the tank and I want it to be a tropical community tank sort of.

Also do you guys have any tips on maintaining it or what are the recommended filters, heaters, ect.

btw, the substrate is most likely going to be aquarium sand.

When I first set up my 29 gallon, my stocking idea was roughly:

- 6 lemon tetra
- 6 harlequin rasbora
- 5 kuhlii loach
- 3 platy
- 1 Apisto Viejita

I stuck to that and it turned out nicely!  Since then many of the fish have died, simply from old age.  You may consider doing one shoal of 12 tetra/rasbora.  If I did it again I think I would do that.  Recently I've been thinking of doing another tank with ember tetras or micro rasboras cause then I could get an even bigger shoal in just a 20 or 30 g tank.  

Perhaps an African themed biotope tank?
-3 butterfly fish
-12 African banded barbs or yellow congo tetras
-2 Kribensis
-3 upside down catfish

wrightt3 said:
Perhaps an African themed biotope tank?
-3 butterfly fish
-12 African banded barbs or yellow congo tetras
-2 Kribensis
-3 upside down catfish
that wouldnt be a good idea not only is it over stocked but its a given there will be combatibilty issues 
how about this

a pair of bolivian rams
12 rummynose tetras
6 panda cories

my 2 cents
My 

ncguppy830 said:

that wouldnt be a good idea not only is it over stocked but its a given there will be combatibilty issues 

how about this

a pair of bolivian rams
12 rummynose tetras
6 panda cories

I don't see as its overstocked?
a pair of Bolivian rams would be no different to a pair of kribs
12 rummy noses would be no different to 12 barbs/congos
6 panda cories would be no different to 3 upside down cats

Perhaps 3 butterflys would be a bit much, but I don't think one would be overdoing it...

yea the butterflys need a minimum of 40 gallons and 3 of them would need more than that so yea maybe not overstocked but stunted fish but i guess you want that.

btw that was my picture of the setup and i missused the word overstocked plus it was my indication of it

ncguppy830 said:
yea the butterflys need a minimum of 40 gallons and 3 of them would need more than that so yea maybe not overstocked but stunted fish but i guess you want that.
I never knew they needed 40 gallons? Everywhere I read said 20g+ is fine... They only grow to 4 inches after all and are fairly sedate so 3ft is plenty of room in my opinion
I'm not looking for an argument here and am sorry if I came across in an aggressive way.

Valiant said:
I was thinking of upgrading to a 30 gallon tank and I need help deciding on what fish to put in the tank and I want it to be a tropical community tank sort of.

Also do you guys have any tips on maintaining it or what are the recommended filters, heaters, ect.

btw, the substrate is most likely going to be aquarium sand.

Based on my own experience, I would recommend the following equipment for your aquarium:

• Eheim Jager TruTemp Submersible Heater - 100 W
  • Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus Lighting System - 36" to 48" (assuming your 30G tank is 36" wide)
  • API Rena 721 Filstar XP2 Canister Filter
I use variations on all of these in my 55 gal aquarium and I've found them to be excellent. You will especially find the LED light fun as it has so many programmable settings to allow you to alter the colour and brightness of the lights, as well as pre-set environmental settings that let you simulate things like rolling clouds, moonlight, and even lightning storms.

Congo tetras are a bit bigger than rummynose tetras or banded barbs.  I can't imagine actually recommending congos to be in 30 gallons....I've never seen them in less than 55 g.

I said yellow congo tetras, not congo tetras.
They're a smaller species that looks pretty much the same.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back