3 spawn and all females

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aniket

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
How can it haplen not a single male in 3 spwan !

what are you talking about?
Is there anything that affect gender of betta?
I have read somewhere after few months
That some parameters and age difference between male and female can determine gender of fry. Something like that i have read. So at first i thought it could be juat theoretical assumption but now when i found all females in every spawn im thinking it may be right

So have you been getting only female babies from the fish you are breeding?

How old are the fish?
Are you sure they are female and not short fin males?

pH can affect the sex of fish fry. Alkaline water (pH above 7.0) encourages males, and acid water (pH below 7.0) encourages females.

Yes im getting only females. They are showing egg spots at belly. They should not short fin male because their parents have long fins.
Indian almond reduces ph right?

You can get short fin fish from long fin parents. It's the same with bronze goldfish from coloured parents. There are always some that have original colours and fins.

No idea if Indian Almond leaf drops the pH but most plant leaves will lower the pH a bit when they start to break down. You need a lot to drop the pH tho.

You can get short fin fish from long fin parents. It's the same with bronze goldfish from coloured parents. There are always some that have original colours and fins.

No idea if Indian Almond leaf drops the pH but most plant leaves will lower the pH a bit when they start to break down. You need a lot to drop the pH tho.
I have few fry left which are not showing gender. They are small. Can we do something to get some males?

Sexes are determined while in the egg. There's nothing you can do to change the sex of young fish once they have hatched.

Have the pH close to 7.0 and keep breeding. Most fish produce a similar number of male and female fry. If you still gets mostly females than raise the pH a bit (7.5) and try again.

I have bred bettas a few times and young males do show what appears to be egg spots too so it is not an accurate way of determining gender when they are very young. I would give them more time, it can take a while for their fins to grow and really start showing their true gender, they can look like females for some time.

I have bred bettas a few times and young males do show what appears to be egg spots too so it is not an accurate way of determining gender when they are very young. I would give them more time, it can take a while for their fins to grow and really start showing their true gender, they can look like females for some time.
Fins grown up and they showing egg spot

I'd like to see pictures of the juveniles. All will appear female until they suddenly don't. Egg spots are not a good way to determine a young betta's gender. It's a combination of egg spots, fins, body shape, yellow ovaries, and a beard that really shows who is what. For female, looks for the yellow patch within the body, showing where the ovaries are. They will also look plump and have very prominent egg spots even at a young age.

Males will be more stream-line, have a hint of a beard, their heads are larger in comparison to their body and fins more extravagant. Young males can and often do have false egg spots. They become more prominent if they were just fed.

How old are they and how many in each spawn? Are they from the same parents? There have been studies that suggest the more spawns the parents have the fewer males produced. Can't find out where I read that, it was a while ago.

I had what was suppose to be a female betta. Egg spot and short tail. Grew into a beautiful male with a long tail and he lost the egg spot. Hard to tell with juvenile bettas. What type of betta is it? Tail type of parents?

I'd like to see pictures of the juveniles. All will appear female until they suddenly don't. Egg spots are not a good way to determine a young betta's gender. It's a combination of egg spots, fins, body shape, yellow ovaries, and a beard that really shows who is what. For female, looks for the yellow patch within the body, showing where the ovaries are. They will also look plump and have very prominent egg spots even at a young age.

Males will be more stream-line, have a hint of a beard, their heads are larger in comparison to their body and fins more extravagant. Young males can and often do have false egg spots. They become more prominent if they were just fed.

How old are they and how many in each spawn? Are they from the same parents? There have been studies that suggest the more spawns the parents have the fewer males produced. Can't find out where I read that, it was a while ago.
Ok ill upload pic of them

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back