2nd ANCISTRUS DIED !!!

MarkF

Reaction score
My 2nd Ancistrus died this morning :( I had only had them a few weeks and the second had developed white fungus patches that I was treating - to no avail :no:
My question is was my tank not mature enough at 3 months? In particular was the PH Too high as it is still 7.5 - 8 all other levels are zero - Nitrate & Ammonia. All the other fish are very healthy with no problems - I carry out 20% water changes every 2 wks and it is clear, well aerated and filter checked. The tank has plants, Bogwood etc. I will finish the treatment for fungus just to safeguard the others.

Maybe I should try a few Corys - are they easier?

Any help much appreciated as I hate losing fish

Your pH is a little too high but i wouldnt have thought it would kill your bristlenoses, they are normally quite hardy little things. If you are waiting for your pH to drop in its own time you'll be waiting a long time, if that is the pH of your tapwater then no ammount of water changes is going to change it so you would be best off either buying only fish that enjoy harder more alkeline water or buying RO water which can be adjusted to suit your fish.
It could be that your bristlenoses were already carrying the disease that killed them and it was just the stress of being moved to a new tank that brought it out, when your lfs gets a new batch in try some more or try and find some from a different source.
Corys are generally hardier than ancistrus species but would still preffer the pH a little lower 6.5 - 7 is more ideal, but corys dont eat algea so you would be losing out on that benefit.

I had a healthy bristlenose in a high pH, hard water tank (I've now successfully altered the water - he's still healthy, however). The one thing I've learned about dwarf plecs is that they must have bogwood and they must have a well oxygenated tank. They just can't cope with poor oxygenation and the slightest bit of ammonia or nitrite can kill them.

Is it possible your bristlenose's health suffered when your tank was cycling. Once the damage was done it is hard to undo it. A lot of people had poorly oxygenated tanks over the summer, due to the fact that hot water doesn't hold oxygen very well.

Another thing to check is your nitrates (with an 'a'). Bristlenoses are quite sensitive to high nitrates above 25 ppm. I suspect you've just had bad luck with bristlenoses - I don't think corys are necessarily any easier, but it may be that the fish were not well treated before you got them. Maybe next time use another supplier?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back