29g Saltwater Nano Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Thank you so much. Will take a read and keep watching your thread. Canā€™t wait for the finished product.
No problem! Itā€™s always great to inspire people to setup different tanks out of their comfort zone!

@Krib32 actually inspired me to start up this tank (along with help from my LFS) from his SW Nano tank. :fish:

*Update*

Live rock is $6/lb at my LFS - not sure if thatā€™s necessarily good? Also, any clue on how much I should get for my tank?

Lol, itā€™s a mEmE. A person as old as dirt itself wouldnā€™t understand... ;) :hey:
What the heck is a mEmE?
You are right, I don't understand :sad:

Is it true you should wait 6 months before adding live coral to a new saltwater tank? (Iā€™m just getting ideas in my head)
No, you can add live corals once the tank has cycled and things are stable.

Hmm, ok. Iā€™ll probably wait until after I get stock.

Speaking of stock... hereā€™s what Iā€™m thinking:
  • 2x Clownfish
  • 1x Watchman Goby
  • 2x Scarlet Banded Shrimp
  • Some sort of crab (any suggestions?)
Does that sound good?
When you want to rescape the tank, just remove a couple of buckets of water, do the rock, and then add the water back in.

What's a scarlet banded shrimp?

No crabs in tanks. Crabs are bad.

*Update*

Live rock is $6/lb at my LFS - not sure if thatā€™s necessarily good? Also, any clue on how much I should get for my tank?
Get some dry limestone and use that to build the main part of the reef, then put a few nice pieces of live rock on top.

Don't get too much rock because it reduces the amount of water you have in the tank.

Can't help you with prices, we use kilograms here in the modern world :)

*Update*

I used the 1Lb per gallon rule but I belive that rule has been debunked as alotn of people are making minimalist scapes now.

FishForums has a ā€œlive rock calculatorā€? Perhaps you could try that?

What's a scarlet banded shrimp?
My bad, I meant Scarlet Skunk Shrimp.

No crabs in tanks. Crabs are bad.
Why are they bad?

I used the 1Lb per gallon rule but I belive that rule has been debunked as alotn of people are making minimalist scapes now.
Well thatā€™s a lot of live rock. I definitely wonā€™t be getting that much.

Get some dry limestone and use that to build the main part of the reef, then put a few nice pieces of live rock on top.
Iā€™ll see if my LFS has some dry limestone.

FishForums has a ā€œlive rock calculatorā€? Perhaps you could try that?
I tried that, and it said I needed 26lb of live rock - I simply canā€™t afford that much, as itā€™s so expensive.

Well then I would decide how much you can afford, then get that much!

Scarlet skunk shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis) are called red line cleaner shrimp in Australia. They are lovely shrimp and do well in prs or groups. They are hermaphrodites so just get two that are the same size. Try to get small shrimp because they are younger and will live longer.

Crabs eat things at night and push rocks and corals over. Small hermit crabs aren't as bad and there are small coral crabs that live in Acropora corals that are fine. You can also get porcelain crabs that live in sea anemones and they are fine. But normal crabs are a pain in the butt in aquariums and should be avoided.

You can get limestone rock from nurseries/ garden centres and some hardware stores. You might also be able to find some are landscaping supply companies or in a limestone quarry. Just make sure it hasn't been sprayed with herbicide or anything bad.

You can shape limestone with a wood rasp or acid and create some more intricate rocks instead of just having a large clump of limestone.

You have plenty of time to get the R/O unit. It will be a month before the tank has cycled.

Scarlet skunk shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis) are called red line cleaner shrimp in Australia. They are lovely shrimp and do well in prs or groups. They are hermaphrodites so just get two that are the same size. Try to get small shrimp because they are younger and will live longer.
Ok, Iā€™ll aim to get 2!

Crabs eat things at night and push rocks and corals over. Small hermit crabs aren't as bad and there are small coral crabs that live in Acropora corals that are fine. You can also get porcelain crabs that live in sea anemones and they are fine. But normal crabs are a pain in the butt in aquariums and should be avoided.
Ok, I just wonā€™t bother with crabs.

You can get limestone rock from nurseries/ garden centres and some hardware stores. You might also be able to find some are landscaping supply companies or in a limestone quarry. Just make sure it hasn't been sprayed with herbicide or anything bad.

You can shape limestone with a wood rasp or acid and create some more intricate rocks instead of just having a large clump of limestone.
Iā€™ll look around and see what I can find.

You have plenty of time to get the R/O unit. It will be a month before the tank has cycled.
But I have bottled bacteria. ?

O

Ouch. I guess I have no good advice then. All I can say is good luck!
Thanks!

Once I cash my gift in from work, Iā€™ll be able to purchase it. After that, it will take me a little while to save up enough money for livestock.

First thing Iā€™m getting are the clowns!

*Updated Stocking List*
  • 2x Clownfish
  • 2x Scarlet Skunk Shrimp
  • 1x Watchman Goby

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back