29g Saltwater Nano Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

What the heck is a mEmE?
You are right, I don't understand :sad:
meme
/mēm/

-a humorous image, video, piece of text, etc., that is copied (often with slight variations) and spread rapidly by internet users.
5640776C-55A5-4362-B2E5-260415FDE7CA.jpeg

Added some shells just for decoration:

Also made a little DIY splash guard, to protect the light:
(I know - super flashy ;))

Attachments

• 00BC49CF-240C-4759-A678-61FC00CE784A.jpeg
    00BC49CF-240C-4759-A678-61FC00CE784A.jpeg
    234.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 820CD538-B0D0-4413-BEA6-F2E7A3D0AA3D.jpeg
    820CD538-B0D0-4413-BEA6-F2E7A3D0AA3D.jpeg
    219.7 KB · Views: 98
  • D2012924-5D18-44D2-B8A7-8F070522D6C2.jpeg
    D2012924-5D18-44D2-B8A7-8F070522D6C2.jpeg
    225.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 1B36C867-65D2-40C2-8D01-CFCD1768FBA2.jpeg
    1B36C867-65D2-40C2-8D01-CFCD1768FBA2.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 95
Bottled bacteria can help speed the cycling process up but it can still take time.

When you get the first fish, just add 1 or 2 fish (probably 1 goby) and don't add anything else. The fish can be the test subjects to make sure everything is ok. If the fish is/ are ok for a few weeks and the filter is doing its thing, then add the shrimp and remaining fish.

Bottled bacteria can help speed the cycling process up but it can still take time.

When you get the first fish, just add 1 or 2 fish (probably 1 goby) and don't add anything else. The fish can be the test subjects to make sure everything is ok. If the fish is/ are ok for a few weeks and the filter is doing its thing, then add the shrimp and remaining fish.
Oh, ok, gotcha. I’ll get the Goby first. ?

—-

Still having a hard time finding a reef base rock, everything online is ridiculously expensive. :/

—-

I might be able to place the order on the RO/DI system today.

I’m going to order the RO/DI system tonight! Should get here Tuesday, maybe Wednesday.

—-

@Colin_T, can the sand contain any contaminants from the tap water, that may harm my fish? Or should that all go away with the 100% WC?

The sand is unlikely to hold anything harmful and I doubt your water has anything bad for shrimp or snails because you used it on your freshwater tanks.

I would leave the tank to cycle and when it's done, do a 100% water change using new water and then add fish.

Just get dry limestone rock and build the basic reef shape with that. You can add live rock any time.

Just get dry limestone rock and build the basic reef shape with that. You can add live rock any time.
It’s fuplie ridiculous how much they are charging for just dry limestone.

I will call one of my local quarry’s, and see if they have some nice limestone. (They would probably sell me it for cheap, because I’m only getting a little bit)

——

So I don’t need live rock to cycle the tank? (My understanding was that I didn’t need the live rock to cycle, but it was helpful)

Live rock that is kept in sea water, has beneficial bacteria on it that helps speed up the cycling process. It's the same as adding liquid bacteria to the filter, it helps speed things up.

Live rock will also have some worms, maybe brittle stars, and possibly small corals on it. However, a lot of this stuff dies if it's not treated properly when it first comes into the shop. You can also get crabs and mantis shrimp hiding in the rock.

Live rock will also have some worms, maybe brittle stars, and possibly small corals on it. However, a lot of this stuff dies if it's not treated properly when it first comes into the shop. You can also get crabs and mantis shrimp hiding in the rock.
Ooo! Awesome! Hope some of the things you mention are in the rocks when I get them. (They better be for that price. :rolleyes:)

---

My plan is to add the bottled bacteria once the RO system comes it. (Which it looks like won't be until Wednesday)

You don't want mantis shrimp, crab or bristleworms in your tank. Mantis shrimp kill things, bristleworms leave little spicules of glass in your skin.

If you want little things for your tank, go to the pet shop when they have a shipment of live rock come in. Be there while they unpack it and have a look in the bottom of the eskies. You can also check out the rock as it's being unpacked. Caution, it can smell pretty bad if some of it died.

Turns out I didn’t get the filter order last night, but it will probably still come in on Wednesday.

Even if I don’t get limestone or live rock by then, I’m adding the bottled bacteria.

List of things to get I order:
  1. RO/DI system
  2. Limestone
  3. Live rock
  4. Watchman Goby

Just order the RO/DI system! Should get here by Wednesday.

I’m so close to getting stock!!

—-

@Colin_T, would the goby or the clowns be more hardy? (You said to add the goby first, just to see, so I was just asking)

What color of clown fish are you getting?
I saw some Clown fish with maroon color at one of my LFS.
They are nicer than the orange clown fish.

Last edited:
Goby first because it should be cheaper (depending on species) and it won't be territorial. If you add the anemone fish first, they will say the tank is their territory, and when you add the goby, they might bash it.

I think you should adjust the salt this time. I've read and watched a lot of youtube videos that insist that it's got to be spot on. Is this going to be a fish only tank or also have a reef? I'm asking because I just purchased a "nano" 32 gallon aquarium complete with everything except the return pump (no idea why they didn't include it). It has about an 11 gallon sump on the back with a lot of compartments and even comes with a mini skimmer. I have ordered by live rock - have also ordered an RO/DI system that is portable and will attach to my kitchen faucet - or any faucet in the house wHere I can remove the aerotor and use theirs. I found a return pump that also makes waves (essential for reef tanks) . I haven't purchased any live sand yet (you build your reef first, then add the substrate of sand and pack it in around the reef since you don't want your reef structure to be hit by moving sand. The tank, sump and stand cost a bargain $500 but I've spend another $1,000 getting all the extras and I'm not done yet. From everything I've read and watched so far Reefer tanks and saltwater tanks in general are a huge challenge. Best of luck to you.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back