29g Saltwater Nano Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Algae will be less of an issue when you get corals in there because they will use the light. In the mean time, try to find some Caulerpa (either bubble or feather Caulerpa) and grow that in the tank. They use nutrients and light and reduce the algae.
Interesting! I will definitely look into those.

Would it be a good idea to get a couple of cheap, $10 frags now, especially since I still have an algae issue? Wont the algae complete cover and take over the coral?

The algae won't grow on live coral because the coral photosynthesise and has chemicals that repel algae.

You can try a couple of small cheap corals now or just reduce the lighting duration until you get corals. Just make sure the filter has cycled before adding corals.

The algae won't grow on live coral because the coral photosynthesise and has chemicals that repel algae.

You can try a couple of small cheap corals now or just reduce the lighting duration until you get corals. Just make sure the filter has cycled before adding corals.
Got em’!:
D61CE051-923D-4DA7-8A55-4D1C727ACA22.jpeg

Got a scarlet skunk:
23A1A561-5B32-44FB-85F0-2DE8A7CA93A9.jpeg

Scarlet hermit:
38386E7F-7809-4EC8-A33A-0D104FA095B3.jpeg

And a polyp!!
376117C2-680F-4650-8AF5-18C207463721.jpeg

—-

Is it best to start out with the frag on the sand bed?

If the coral has a decent rock on the base then the rock can go on the sand. Otherwise put it on some rock so the corals don't touch the sand.
Most corals don't do well if in contact with sand.

Did they only have 1 shrimp?

If the coral has a decent rock on the base then the rock can go on the sand. Otherwise put it on some rock so the corals don't touch the sand.
Most corals don't do well if in contact with sand.

Did they only have 1 shrimp?
The rock base is... ok I guess. I didn’t really want to out it up on any of the rocks, because I was afraid I would bleach it.

—-

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!! YEEEESSSS! IT'S HERE, IT'S EVIL, I LOVE IT. YEEEESSSSSSS!!!! TANK OF THE MONTH FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR. INSTANT WIN. I LOVE THIS SHRIMP SO MUCH YEEAAAAAAH!!!

Ahem.
Lovely shrimp! And other bits and pieces!
Just wait until I enter it in the next TOTM contest... :hey:

Thanks!

Pictures of the polyp!
9093FF63-C096-4D8B-932E-31006E63F623.jpeg
A0F0330E-EC0C-4660-86C8-87FE8FB2CEA0.jpeg
E661883A-93C2-4ECB-97A3-DFBD39BC6E23.jpeg

Definitely not my best work, but I was using my crappy iPad camera...

I will try to get pictures with the “good camera” in the morning. :)

The rock base is... ok I guess. I didn’t really want to out it up on any of the rocks, because I was afraid I would bleach it.
Why should the coral bleach?
Corals bleach from warm water and lots of nutrients. Keep the temperature under 28C and 0 ammonia & nitrite, and less than 10ppm nitrate and they shouldn't bleach.

Why should the coral bleach?
Corals bleach from warm water and lots of nutrients. Keep the temperature under 28C and 0 ammonia & nitrite, and less than 10ppm nitrate and they shouldn't bleach.
Too much light causes corals to bleach too.

Refrain from getting green star polyps until you get the algae under control. Algae will grow on it and its a pain dipping it in hydrogen peroxide every few weeks.

Too much light causes corals to bleach too.
That’s what I was afraid of. If immediately put the coral on the rock structure, close to the light, it may bleach because of how close it is to the light.

Refrain from getting green star polyps until you get the algae under control. Algae will grow on it and its a pain dipping it in hydrogen peroxide every few weeks.
I honestly don’t want to any more... :blush:

That’s what I was afraid of. If immediately put the coral on the rock structure, close to the light, it may bleach because of how close it is to the light.

I honestly don’t want to any more... :blush:
Yeah it is a good Idea to put the corals on the bottom for about a week then move them up.

Most reactions

Back