29g Saltwater Nano Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Too much light causes corals to bleach too.
Unless you have lights that are brighter than the sun, light doesn't cause corals to bleach. The heat from some lights can warm the water up and cause the corals to bleach but light in itself, won't.

That’s what I was afraid of. If immediately put the coral on the rock structure, close to the light, it may bleach because of how close it is to the light.
How tall was the coral tank at the shop and how bright was their light?
Was their light brighter than your light?
Was their coral tank taller than yours?

Unless your light is significantly brighter than the shop's light (and that is unlikely), you don't have to worry about putting the coral on the bottom of the tank.

How tall was the coral tank at the shop and how bright was their light?
Was their light brighter than your light?
Was their coral tank taller than yours?
It was a frag tank, so not very deep at all.

No, theirs was definitely more bright.

I think I’ll keep it there for now.

Also make sure to use gloves when handling those. Those are palythoas so they have the chance of giving you palytoxin poisoning.
Just read that online:unsure: - I’m not dead yet! :p

Zoa is looking great!!
P1090749 (2).JPG

OH MY WORD.

I go the scarlet skunk to eat from the tweezers!!! I offered him a pellet, holding it in the tweezers, and he felt around for it and grabbed it! Ended up eating 2, hope I didn’t overfeed.

I really hope this guy learns to socialize. He is an amazing creature!
—-

Also, the clowns missed a pellet, and it landed smack dab on the zoa:
F58E7EDF-A5C7-49AD-995C-3E1C1DD856C9.jpeg

Cause for concern? Or is it “eating” the pellet?

The shrimp will take food from your hands and even crawl over your hands in a few weeks, at least mine always did.

All shrimp have a high metabolism and eat a lot of food so a couple of pellets several time a day is not an issue. I had a pr in a tank and fed them 3 times a day with marine mix (prawn, fish and squid blended up). Each shrimp ate a piece of food about the size of my little fingernail and about 4mm thick.

It's fine for the coral to eat pellets as long as it eats all of the pellet and doesn't regurgitate the left overs. Most anemones and corals will take big pieces of food and eat part of it before spitting the remains out a few hours later. The remains will rot and cause ammonia problems. A few small bits of food is better than a single large bit. Monitor the coral and see if it spits any food out later on. If it does, then remove the uneaten food, assuming the shrimp doesn't find it first.

Make sure the coral is not in contact with the sand otherwise the bacteria on the sand can kill the coral.

Make sure the coral is not in contact with the sand otherwise the bacteria on the sand can kill the coral.
I am going to set it up on a rock, before I leave for work. It looks like one of the “stems” is being pushed into the sand, which I don’t like.

—-

I really hope he gets comfortable to take food out of my hand! That would be amazing.

—-

Is it possible for a hermit crabs shell to be too big for it? Mine isn’t moving a whole lot...

—-

Zoa did open back up, and I’m noticing more color:
AB1100D1-49A3-4231-8493-E8CD93BCC1A1.jpeg

When cleaner shrimp tame down they are really cool. My two would see me and come out from under their rock and go straight for my hand when it came to feeding. And when I was cleaning their tank they would be hanging off my hand picking at it. I used to do a fishy dance for them with my hand and move my hand up and down in an undulating motion and they would wave their feelers back at me, then crawl onto my hand. They were great.

Hermit crabs take whatever shell is available and sometimes the shell is too big. If you have a few different shells in the tank, the crab will check them out and might swap into one. Have the new shells with the opening facing up so the crab knows there is nothing in it.

Corals and anemones that have fed a few hours ago will usually be a bit bigger and look happy (tentacles waving about). If the water quality deteriorates, they shrink and shrivel up.

When cleaner shrimp tame down they are really cool. My two would see me and come out from under their rock and go straight for my hand when it came to feeding. And when I was cleaning their tank they would be hanging off my hand picking at it. I used to do a fishy dance for them with my hand and move my hand up and down in an undulating motion and they would wave their feelers back at me, then crawl onto my hand. They were great.
That’s awesome! Can’t wait until mine is tame. :)

Hermit crabs take whatever shell is available and sometimes the shell is too big. If you have a few different shells in the tank, the crab will check them out and might swap into one. Have the new shells with the opening facing up so the crab knows there is nothing in it.
I don’t have any shells for him... ?

Corals and anemones that have fed a few hours ago will usually be a bit bigger and look happy (tentacles waving about). If the water quality deteriorates, they shrink and shrivel up.
The Zoa is exhibiting these signs!

The hermit crab will be fine for a while. Just look for some shells the next time you go to the pet shop or beach.

The hermit crab will be fine for a while. Just look for some shells the next time you go to the pet shop or beach.
Will do. I appreciate it!

Is there anything I can do to make the shrimp more tame? Or will time tell...?

Just give the shrimp time, once they settle down and eat regularly they will start to check out what is happening in the tank.

Did it happen? Yes, yes it did:
E4C66972-B56F-4FCF-87BE-B6CEEEE648F6.jpeg

My first Mushroom!! They had a orange one, which I really wanted, but this one won...

Also got a snail to help with the algae. :)
FAF222D0-D932-425C-B645-A16844940B77.jpeg

Finally got through your thread! Phew! ? Very cool, well done you!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back