FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

frogfanboy

Reaction score
Hello all,

First time posting on here but I need some advice.

I recently got a 29 gallon tank and I'm looking for some advice on what to put in it. I already have some fish I moved in from an old tank, but it feels under stocked and going off of the inch per gallon rule I currently have about 15 inches of fish in the tank so I should still have a fair bit of space. If I were setting up this tank from scratch I'd have chosen different species but most of these guys came from my parent's old fish tank. I don't know too much about fish but I'm trying to learn more and do better for mine.

currently have:
- 3 corydoras catfish (2 emerald green and a peppered)
- 4 neon tetras
- 3 golden wonder killifish
- 1 guppy (not sure what species, got her from the feeder tank at my local fish store)
- 2 african dwarf frogs

what else should I have? more of the same? can I try another species? I've been seeing mixed information about how many of these fish I should have, but I'd like to avoid accidental breeding as much as possible.

also, would I be able to get a dwarf gourami? That's the only species I'm seriously considering atm.

Thank you!

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.
Tetras, barbs, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm).

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies) occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

------------------
Has the tank cycled?
Did you put the filter form the old tank into the new tank?

------------------
Don't keep frogs with fish. If the fish ever get sick, any medication used to treat them will usually kill the frogs. Frogs do best in their own tank where they can have clean water and not have to deal with fish diseases.

Depending on what sort of filter you have, you could possibly use half the old established filter media/ material for the smaller tank that could house the frogs, and put half the media in the bigger tank for fish.

------------------
Don't get dwarf gouramis (Colisa lalius) or any of their colour forms because they are riddled with diseases including the Gourami Iridovirus and Fish Tuberculosis, neither of which can be treated and will remain in the tank until you scrap the tank and start again. Both these diseases have a 100% kill rate.

If your water is suitable for gouramis, there are plenty of small species (besides the common dwarf) that don't have these diseases. Stuff like Honey gouramis, Indian banded, licorice, sparkling all make great substitutes for the common dwarf gourami.

As Colin_T said above it is best to know your tank dimensions and your GH and pH first before ideas can be suggested.

If you have soft water, you need more neons and cories as they do best in groups of at least 6, preferably 10 or more.

Golden wonder killifish are also likely to eat the neons when mature!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back