25 gallon tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

toggle

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hiya,

im getting a 2.6ft tank (aorund 25 gallons) and i want maybe one predatory fish, coz that would be kewl :D (so you can see it hunt live fish)

what would best be suited for this size tank?

South american or Schomburgk's leaf fish :nod: You could probnably get 2 or 3 of one species (if you find them) The only downside is that they will only eat live foods :) They get about 4 inches and guppies are ideal food :)

they sounds really kool

im gonna go searching for pics
and thanks!! (btw where can i buy these type of fish from? as my lfs dont sell them)

Sorry, I can't find any online places with them :dunno: If you had a larger tank you could probably get a leaopard ctenopoma, which looks just like a leaf fish but will eat frozen and dry food and gets around 6-8" :)

Yeah, I'd go with a leaf fish, or a thermometer knife, or perhaps a dwarf spiny eel... Anyway, as for getting ahold of them, I have the smae prob. as you, in that the lfs around here don't get in much. I'd try putting a classified out or asking some of the merchants on either aquaticpredators.com or predatoryfish.net.

i dont really like the leave fish tho :/ it doesnt look really.....predatory if you know what i mean, ill have a look at the others you suggsted

toggle said:
i dont really like the leave fish tho :/ it doesnt look really.....predatory if you know what i mean, ill have a look at the others you suggsted
They may not look predatory but believe me as soon as mine spot any live food they are predatory!!!!

They dart out at some small unsuspecting little guppy or something and woosh its gone!! They also have massive mouths :nod:

Believe me they are VERY predatory, when mine was 3 inches, he(or she) swallowed a 2 inch long feeder guppy! That's about the closest thing that you'll get if you want something will eat live food in front of you, aside from the dwarf spiny eel, or at least that you could keep long-term in a tank of that small size.

Black_Ghost_Guy said:
Yep, same here. I have two leopard ctenopoma's, too, but they don't count.
That's because they eat prepared food and are anabantoids :D I have three of them, and I'm setting up a 55 for those three and my leaf. They look so similar! :thumbs: Sorry to hijack toggle, I'll stop now :lol:

Yeah, drives me nuts how some shops sell them as "African leaf fish". Not quite as bad as when I saw New Guinea Dats being sold as "Indian leaf fish", but it still bugs me.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back