220 Reef system Diary

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Navarre

Marine Moderator
Reaction score
Ok my New tank is available for collection.
Im doing things slightly different this time so here is what i am planning.

2 Sumps. Sump 1 will contain mineral mud and the 2nd sump will be a crypto zone and rubble zone area. Liverock will run the main filtration of the tank too.

No reef rack this time but i will be using a closed loop system with a pipe under the sand that will point a powerful flow of wter back up at the liverock.
I eventually intend to have a pair of Tunze stream in the rear corners pointed at the front glass. This should clash with the upflow from the closed loops and creat alot of turbulance.
A single wier this time with a durso standpipe leading directly to the mineral mud sump.
The return pump will be a Newjet 3000.

Any ideas or comments would be welcomed.
7ftdesign.jpg

Its a bit far fetched, or unlikely, but..., what happens if the pipe between sump 1 & 2 get blocked or restricted? could be messy!, or are you having it partitioned like so
000_0009.jpg

whats a crypto zone? :*) , or could you have a larger 1st sump, and have half mm, and half a DSB, get best of both worlds, or even a longer one, and have it partitioned in tiers for all 3?, so it over flows from 1 to 2 to 3, no pipes to get restricted, have the best of them all.

I dunno?? :*), i know nothin, im from barcelona! :D

where are u putting yur skimmer? If u arent putting one in the sump at least get a small hang on

The reason i have chosen a connecting pipe between 2 sumps rather than 1 long sump is basically ease of getting a sump this size. SMaller is easier to get in and out should a problem occur (i can still use a sump rather than take the whole sump out). Having a connecting ppe means i can control the flow a little easier in the 2nd sump as a cryptic zone needs a slower flow through it.

Cryptic zone is a zone in the sump that is in complete (or newar complete) darkness. Water flows through this slowly and it promoted sea squirts and sponges growth. These are good for extra filtration.

As for a skimmer. Well I dont use one on the 100 gallon and i am unsure about using one on this new system. My sytems runs totally naturaly right down the natural seawater. I am considering using a skimmer that is underated to give me an undrskimmed tank but thats about it.

ah, get you now, i take it the rubble is for the squirts ect to live and grow on (ie more surface area?), ive had a huge spurt in their growth in the weir and bio balls, since installing the durso, and putting the pipe under the water.
Agree with the skimmer, thats is to under skim, or maybe do it for a week once month or something?.

Oh, and try ebay for the tunze, they had some on there from germany i think a TUNZE Turbelle® stream Kit TS24
for £358 inc P&P!, two, pumps and a multi-controller. I was going to get it myself, but funds are limited at the moment. :/ .
Or on there now a TUNZE Turbelle® stream Kit TS28 28000 l/h for £628!!, nearly a grand over here!, and about £500 for the other.

I bet your wallet can hardly wait to buy the live rock you will need for that baby... 

Ya know! Somethings i can put right to the back of my mind.. That way it takes away some of the pain :p

Well the tank has infally arrived! After a few heartstopping moments we eventually got it in the van :crazy: My gots its heavy! 10mm glass all around with 20mm glass base! believe me its something i hope to never do again!

Its being taken to a friends workshop tonight to be drilled in preparations for the sumps and closed loop systems.

Here is a piccy of the tank still in the van with my 5 year old son as a size comparison! :hyper:

newtankvan.jpg

How exciting! :hyper: I bet you can't wait to get it all set up... :) Keep us updated with pics! The cryptic zone sounds awesome... let me know how that works out because I would like to try something like that for the tank I buy for my triggers! :thumbs:

Update:

Tank is now drilled. The design has changed slightly and i now have 3 overflows to the sump on one side of the tank. a single return hole on the opposite side of the tank.

When i get the tank back then some photos will follow :D

Design Change.

I have drilled the tank like this so far.

7fter.jpg

I have not drilled for the closed loop system as yet as i might do this via internal methods instead. I will await to see the tank on its stand before drilling further.

I have changed the single overflow to 3 overflow with smaller pipes. I will fit Durso standpipes for noise reduction and having 3 overflows will reduce flooding in case a pipe is blocked.

Very nice! What are you going to be keeping fish/ corals wise?
Ed

The current system is closing down (or we simply have nowhere to live :p )

So all the fish currently in my system is being transferred over.
Corals will be a 90% hard coral and 10% soft.

I have a small collection of Acros, a Branching hammer, galaxia and maxe coral. I will expand on these and the softies will be mostly zooanthids, florida ricorda and starpolyps.

What program are you using to draw this stuff?

I would do. Tank > skimmer (higher than sump) > sump.

I will never have the skimmer under the tank again. Even if I have to put the darn thing in the living room.

Its a pain in the back to maintnence in a cabinet.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back