20l Tank, Thinking Of Getting A Dwarf Puffer

justjon

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi All, I made a topic months ago about getting a dwarf puffer but never got round to it, anyway.

I have the following tank;

empytank.JPG

I was wanting some advice on setup, I have a filter (small one mind, only cost £15), a heater, pebbles/stones for bottom (is sand better for DP?)... and a coconut that used to be in with my betta in this same tank.

The glass has two scratches, but i'm hoping to be able to polish those out.

Any advice on temps, food, ANYTHING will be helpful, specifically to do with this tank.

Thanks!

I think 20l is to small for a dwarf puffer.
I could be wrong though, thats just my opinion.

YF

Right here is some info for you. But other people may say different so please bear all in mind!:

A good minimum tank size is US 5g (I have one in this size, he is absolutely fine). The 20 litres in the calculator at the top seems...fine!

They like quite warm temperatures I have mine at 26C, temp could range from 23-28c

They will get around an inch in length, live 5 or more years (very average on looking at websites)

The DP will not mind sand or gravel, whichever you would prefer. My large tank has gravel and my small sand, no difference at all.

They LOVE to explore the more planted and interesting objects in their the better, mine are a little lacking and plan to plant up more soon. It is nice to give them something like a coconut hut for hiding, though again depends on the puff and where they would like to make their own home!

Foodwise, bloodworm is a good main staple, you may need live to begin with depending what they have been brought up on and wean off. Frozen bloodworm is great, the blister packs will last absolutely ages, especially if cut the cubes into halves or thirds and thaw as need. Snails are good for them and their beaks and it may be good to get a small snail breeding tank/ critter keeper going. There is some debate as to whether DPs need snails, but I would like to promote snails, it can't hurt and helps to vary their diet.

Have also fed mine on daphnia and brineshrimp (live).

live packs of daphnia, brine shrimp and bloodworm are about 99p each, frozen blister packs about £2.50 ish.

hmmm...anything else...not sure, please ask and enjoy!

Oh it is hard to tell the sex of the species when they are juveniles, as they mature it will be easier and you will find out what you have. In general the males develop a dark stripe on their bellies (though this is also true of the dominant puff) and also can get blue wrinkles around the eyes.

EDIT: looking at the pinned topic at the top of the Oddball section, 5g recommended, 3g if keeping absolute crystal clear water, so you are fine!

wow this is exciting! i want to get a dwarf puffer for my 10G now :hyper:

You could have two in a 10g MAYBE 3, might be pushing it. They are great little guys and highly recommend to anyone that can provide good space and food, they will keep you entertained for hours!

5 gal per puffer is best :D

50% weekly water changes are necessary and over filtration too. They are pooping champions and eat meaty foods hence needing larger water changes and filtration on their tanks to keep water quality at its optimum.
Ammonia and nitrite are often lethal to puffers as they are scaleless so impurities can affect them faster than normal sclaed fish.

Try and make your tank as interesting as possible for the puffer. As you are only putting one in your tank (and rightly so) the amount of planting to break up the line of sight isn't as vital, but an interesting environment that gives your dp plenty to have a hunt through is a good idea to prevent boredom and pacing :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back