The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.

snake007

Me encanta cíclidos
Reaction score
What type of predatory fish can I put in an empty 20 gallon alone?

Thanks in advanced.

To name but a few...

African Butterfly Fish
Leopard Bushfish
Golden Wonder Killifish

arg u beat me to it m8 yea african butterfly fish leopard bushfish and golden wonder killifish aswell as some snakeheads?that needs clarfication tho

Thanks in advanced.
just get a huge cichlid with the bump on his head:D or is that the parrot fish?? idk but i always see them at the store and theyre hept in tiny tiny tanks by themselves for months im sure theyed be stoked to get into a 20gal at least and theyre funny to they chase ur finger:p everyone i talk to says they hate those fish but i think they seem okay

just get a huge cichlid with the bump on his head:D or is that the parrot fish?? idk but i always see them at the store and theyre hept in tiny tiny tanks by themselves for months im sure theyed be stoked to get into a 20gal at least and theyre funny to they chase ur finger:p everyone i talk to says they hate those fish but i think they seem okay

No type of cichlid except some of the dwarf species are suitable for a 20 gallon. Especially not 'huge ones with a hump'!

Thanks in advanced.

Nope, definitely not for a 20 gallon aquarium. Most huge cichlids with a hump on their head need 55+ gallons. And that's for the smaller cichlids with a hump on their head. They'd barely have any moving space if they were in a 20. Some of them wouldn't have any moving space.

Thanks in advanced.

Nope, definitely not for a 20 gallon aquarium. Most huge cichlids with a hump on their head need 55+ gallons. And that's for the smaller cichlids with a hump on their head. They'd barely have any moving space if they were in a 20. Some of them wouldn't have any moving space.

WELL, NOT neccisarily the HUGE that are like 7-9 in but the ones that are like them but smaller but not the teeny tiny ones that people dye:[ idk the ones at the store litteraly dont even have 5 gallons. i imagine the like 3 inch ones would seem ok in a 20 gal. i dont know just get a baby shovelnose pair and baby goldfish;] then upgrade to a bigger tank in a few months i guess :]

WELL, NOT neccisarily the HUGE that are like 7-9 in but the ones that are like them but smaller but not the teeny tiny ones that people dye:[ idk the ones at the store litteraly dont even have 5 gallons. i imagine the like 3 inch ones would seem ok in a 20 gal. i dont know just get a baby shovelnose pair and baby goldfish;] then upgrade to a bigger tank in a few months i guess :]

Are you for real?

While we're at the silly responses, how about a shark? A great white would fit the bill nicely.

Seriously guys. This thread is looking for preadatory fish for a 20g. Not a 120g. The first responces are great, however I must strongly discourage a snakehead. Research them and you will see why. I would think a JD would be fine (jack dempsey). I have read and heard from reliable sources that it is fine in a 20g. Might want to check first though. Also, it would have to be the only fish in the tank.

I'd never put a JD in a 20 gal. They can get big and chunky. I'd say a 40 bare minimum for one but 55 being much better. Iv even seen some cases with people keeping a breeding pair in a 55 although I'm not sure how long that would last.

After all they get to the same sort of size as a flowerhorn, well, a little smaller and the min tank size for them is 55 (comfortably)

Snakeheads could actually be a good choice... If you were to get a few rainbow snakeheads (dwarf snakeheads). Buy around 5 and let 2 form a pair naturally and then rehome the rest. They max out at 8 inches but they need much less room than say an 8 inch full bodied cichlid, a 20 gal might not be ideal but it would take a good while for them to outgrow it, then move them to a 30. I had 2, lovely fish... Probably would go as far as saying they are the nicest looking snakeheads :good:

Thank you dbanner for putting this back on track.

However, it's an old post and I haven't seen snake on here in a while, so I'm going to shut this one down before any more silliness ensues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back