20 Going On 90

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hey so im stuck in germany with nothing to do because of a holiday for today so i may as well just do a small update, i didnt forget anything but everything was doing good when i left, my mom is in charge of the tanks while im gone and shes doing a crappy job of keeping me updated.

there was a storm last week that took out the sump pump and she only noticed it because i called and told her to check, it was off for about a day and a half, everything is ok though.

i also bought a pigeon blood discus for my freshwater and its doing ok, i have to get him friends though.

which leads me to this dilemna, i have recently aqcuired roughly 350 bucks for graduation with 250 for actual spending, and my birthday is coming up so i can assume another 150 at the least. but heres the few things stopping me from going coral crazy;

college- meaning id have to drive back every weekend to check on the tank because i cant trust my parents (i have a feeling that as soon as im gone my dad will buy a ton of fish)

discus- he needs friends and those friends are going to cost roughly 275$, meaning i will have no money after that haha, but i will have some awesome discus!

i think im going to have to stop getting stuff just because im going to be gone, so dont expect alot of new stuff from this thread. But, stick around because when i go im allowed a 10 gallon in the dorm, so im thinking a frag tank with some of my stuff from the 90 and whats left in the pico (which i think ill make it planted since plants are the only things growing in there) with a metal halide for light and maybe some tiny obscure pair of fish.

oh and the cardinals keep breeding so i may get another shot sooner or later.

and i promise ill get pics when i get back! no excuses.

alrighty so im back and im getting about a million pictures ready for photobucket to send off but heres an update

everything is doing good save for two corals and some rics. the bubble is dying and ive fixed it by doing some iodine dips. my setosa grew a ton but its now dying for some reason and i suspect the urchins, but i fragged it 4 times and i have 3 frags doing ok, just in case. my rics for some reason have taken to either shrinking to oblivion or disintegrating, why i dont know, im left with the ones my dad bought, the orange ric, and the lime green green is maybe this big now so im expecting it to die []

i got new coral, a colony of green palythoa grandis, fragged that twice because of some oddly placed polyps.

the fish are great, everyone is happy and the cardinals have spawned twice, though dad is refusing to hold for more than a day.

i cleaned up the sand bed quite a bit on a water change and hopefully got rid of the last of the grape algae (ugh)

annnnd expect a miilion pictures starting from when i had those red spots.

(also what do you think of a future tank for sea horses and red spot cardinals? like a shoal of 10 or so, im looking into it but it may just work, FOWLR of course)

Nice to see you again, GAB. Not sure about the cardinals and the sea horses. Might be interesting. May do ok with macros as well.

Rics are weird sometimes. Is your water perhaps too clean or is something bothering the mushies? palythoas are nasty little buggers. I love them though. But nasty. Meanie corals. LOL

L

What the water can be too clean? That could be a possibility because my pico is straight 0s and my porcelain crab is always eating.

The palys I made sure they are far away from the rest of the rockwork, they look really nice (youll see once these pictures load, its taking forever but I have half of them done)

Oh and for stock I'm getting 3 more fish for the 90 and then I'm done.
A wrasse - I really want something blue, and preferably a leopard wrasse (male) but ill just have to wait and see

The long nose hawkfish

A yellow pyramid butterfly fish, easy to keep and doesn't eat corals, looks nice too.

And as for my dorm, its a ten gallon frag reef, mostly acans but some acroporas (basically, ALL the colorful things!) I want to light it with a 70 watt DIY metal halide, Steph thinks a T5 unit would be better considering the amount of heat MH gives off.

As for stock ill take my porcelain crab, an aceopora crab, and maybe a pair of dottybacks or a really nice psuedochromis

yes actually i already did go for the discus, they come in tomorrow morning which is why im going to post these pictures as fast a possible and GO TO SLEEP

Porcelain Crab
IMAG0654.jpg

cup coral, notice, its green
IMAG0659.jpg

happy camper
IMAG0666.jpg

bangaii has eggs
IMAG0671.jpg

setosa, few days after i got it
IMAG0686.jpg

getting a bit more to handle haha
IMAG0689.jpg

reverse superman monti
IMAG0693.jpg

green birdnest with purple polyps
IMAG0694.jpg

the decline...
IMAG0696.jpg

green fleshed candy cane purple tipped frogspawn, mouthful that one
IMAG0698.jpg

cant hold it any longer
IMAG0730.jpg

first pictures of the babies
IMAG0732.jpg

after about a day or two, they liked the corners
IMAG0743.jpg

last picture i had of the babies, maybe 6-8 days?
IMAG0749.jpg

Rudolph first pictures
IMAG0769.jpg

the very mean clownfish now imprisoned
IMAG0771.jpg

the gang
IMAG0779.jpg

urchin and cup coral, this thing has refused to open and has turned a weird light orange with a green center, its coloring back up however
IMAG0780.jpg

Crabzilla
IMAG0806.jpg

cant quite see it but in the center there is a red patch with white spots, that is a very small red invert, it takes brine shrimp
IMAG0819.jpg

Blasto frag, unfortunatley it has faded in color because of excessive light issues with the unit im using
IMAG0822.jpg

black sponge, i have a pink one somewhere and my light blue one isnt having fun
IMAG0823.jpg

the 30$ discus that has forced me to spend 200$ getting friends
IMAG0826.jpg

frogspawn is doing awesome, aslo my torch coral has split, i have four polyps now, my two candy canes are also going crazy
IMAG1301.jpg

the setosa when i got back from germany
IMAG1302.jpg

palys
IMAG1304.jpg

tank during water change
IMAG1307.jpg

after wards, and current set up
IMAG1308.jpg

setosa after fragging
IMAG1309.jpg

TAKE THAT

You rock!!!

How are the bangaii fry doing? That is way too much coolness for me to handle in a single photo update!

Epic, GAB, L is satisfied...

For now...

L

WOW! Great update! I really LOVE the "gang" picture haha. Must have taken a hundred shots to get that one? Or just lucky? lol. This looks great, congrats and well done! Keep up the good work.

-Tyler

cant quite see it but in the center there is a red patch with white spots, that is a very small red invert, it takes brine shrimp

Either Pseudocorynactis or Corynactis - great little guys and easy to propagate if fed regularly, but a possible hazard to really small fish. I had one ~1" in diameter take out a juvi clown goby in the past.

Unfortunately the fry have died, my brine shrimp did not hatch in large enough quantity for me to keep them alive, I have a brine culture now so I dad decides to hold ill be ready, the twenty gallon though I cannot use due to crabzilla

Thanks donya ill keep it on the frag rack for now

And thanks for the comments! I actually got the group photo by chance

I actually like how the tank looks I just wish there was less crap on the rocks.

And that discus isn't treating its new friends nicely xc

ok im on the computer and these pictures look awful im going to go try to get better ones later today

alright so for some reason photobucket is having trouble getting my emails so the pictures have yet to download, im taking some more now because i hanged out with my friend and we both have tanks, he has a cabbage leather thats split twice now so he gave a chunk and i gave him most of my spare yellow polyps, one frag of the palys, and some sky blue palys just lying around.

also, my setosa is still dying? i checked this afternoon and now more of it is dead, it makes no sense. do SPS die in chunks or are my urchins having a snack? i can easily move them to the 20 where they cant do anything but they were doing so well.

lastly, the little tub i had floating in the 90 with the red invert and the palm tree polyps somehow sunk, i was able to get everyhting back in but the palm trees have floated away somewhere where i cant see them. ill keep an eye out but it looks like they might be lost.

other than the setosa everything is growing well, candy cane is a little moody but everything seems ok other than that damned setosa

ok, so ill get pictures up and you can see the evidence for yourselves.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back