20 Going On 90

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ok here an update
i dont have any pictures because photobucket mobile refuses to download my photos

but anyway

i got 2 new stuff

another duncan frag

and a different species of porcelian crab

both crabs are in the pico and ill be taking them with me when i go to college

the tank in college im hoping to have is a 10 gallon frag tank, mostly acans and sps corals (and most of those acros)

any fish ill get wil most likely be a goby or pseudochromis or maybe even a possum wrasse, maybe a shrimp goby pair (yashas?)

as for inverts i think ill still get a squat lobster and a pair of fireshrimp, and the pistol shrimp if i go with the yashas

harlequins are off for now since i dont really want to dump dead sea star chunks into a 10 gallon with acros haha

as for lighting, i was going to use the fixture i already have (2 bulb t5HO) but since this is the fourth replacement and that has just failed AGAIN ljdlcasnclskac i think ill be making my own.
question is, what to make?

maybe more T5s? a single metal halide with some LEDs? just LEDs?

nothing has happened with the 90, cardinals keep trying to breed, the reverse superman is growing really fast for some reason, the setosa is recovering, the cabbage leather is happy where i put it, candy canes are going crazy, the bubble is healing, my red brain coral is getting back its color

only negatives i see are that my pagoda cup coral has this white stuff on it, and my other grand palythoas havent re opened yet

until i get my light for the pico fixed ill be moving the duncan and blasto to the 90, and try to get my ric attached to something

ill get a new set of pictures soon, kind of busy today.

I'm not sure what question you're trying to ask with regard to lighting. What tank are you lighting.

Sorry, I haven't had nearly enough coffee today. *runs off to get more coffee*

L

The cardinal fry are adorable! Makes me want to breed them now, stupid clowns, they wont breed for me.

It's weird my clownfish love cleaning surfaces and twitching around but they don't breed, then again I can barely tell them apart and I think they are related so them breeding wouldn't be the best thing in the world haha.

And llj I'm trying to light a 5.5 for about a month and then I upgrade to a ten gallon
So I need something that I can keep acroporas in a 10 gallon, but I can't do metal halide because well it'll boil the water and burn anything other than acros haha

So yeah, enough light in a ten gallon to support acros, but I'm also getting acans and maybe some nice palys and zoos
Essentially, colorful stuff

It's weird my clownfish love cleaning surfaces and twitching around but they don't breed, then again I can barely tell them apart and I think they are related so them breeding wouldn't be the best thing in the world haha.

And llj I'm trying to light a 5.5 for about a month and then I upgrade to a ten gallon
So I need something that I can keep acroporas in a 10 gallon, but I can't do metal halide because well it'll boil the water and burn anything other than acros haha

So yeah, enough light in a ten gallon to support acros, but I'm also getting acans and maybe some nice palys and zoos
Essentially, colorful stuff

Dude, suspend a 70w MH about 12-14" from the tank top. That's how I light my old 8g. The yuma/zoanthid garden in my signature. It's got sps in there now, but also zoas and yumas and acans, so not everything there is light hungry. I bet I can grow acros too. Most of the 70w come in a 20" fixture, idea for a 10g. Mine was a custom job for a frag tank, used for growing acros, so it's only 9" across. For a 5.5g, not so sure. The standard dimensions are 16", right? What's in the 5.5g now? If nothing hard is in it, there's a marineland cheapie LED that'll grow mushrooms and zoas for like a month. Not gorgeous, but they'll survive. I used them for a quarantine tank.

L

Yeah im really considering a 70w metal halide for a custom build for when I go to college, and maybe some LEDs to get color at night.

Does it heat the tank?

And right now in the pico are just softies and somé sponges, I don't think the sponges need light but everything else could use some, I have an LED floor lamp that gets them to open but you can't really see the tank all that well.
I also have a Duncan and blasting frag as well as my last ric in there so ill move those today.

Yeah im really considering a 70w metal halide for a custom build for when I go to college, and maybe some LEDs to get color at night.

Does it heat the tank?

And right now in the pico are just softies and somé sponges, I don't think the sponges need light but everything else could use some, I have an LED floor lamp that gets them to open but you can't really see the tank all that well.
I also have a Duncan and blasting frag as well as my last ric in there so ill move those today.

When it's 12-14" from the tank, heating isn't an issue really. That tank is at around 78-79 degrees.

What kind of softies. If it's mushies, then I wouldn't bother upgrading the lighting, especially if it's only temporary.

L

Well the upgrade is for the ten gallon but I need to be able to use it for the 5.5. I'll move the stuff in the pico to the 90 and move some frags and the acans to the 10 gallon

Well the upgrade is for the ten gallon but I need to be able to use it for the 5.5. I'll move the stuff in the pico to the 90 and move some frags and the acans to the 10 gallon

Just get the halide and suspend it higher. My 8g has a Halide. Maybe 6 gallons of water maximum?

L

Ok, well since it has to be a custom build ill get the stuff tomorrow

Ok, well since it has to be a custom build ill get the stuff tomorrow

If your tank is near a wall, use a shelf brace from home depot. That's what I did for my MH. Came out good. I'm just thinking ahead for you GAB. Makes no sense to get separate lighting system for the 5.5g if you're just going to upgrade to a 10g in a month. The friend who sold my my 70w MH fixture, used it just for that, a 10g frag tank. :good:

With all the technology out there, I still think MH are the best for coral growth and overall color and beauty. Just my opinion.

L

I would love to be able to put it on the wall but in our dorms we can't use anything that will leave a hole in the wall, my best option are those command strips that have the thing you peel off in the back.

I was thinking maybe to build a clamp on the back lamp that I can adjust to whatever height I need?

I also have to email the housing people and ask if I'm even allowed to plug in a 70 watt metal halide. Considering I can't have a mini fridge and microwave functioning at the same time.

Welp, I'm almost home after my trip, and now I'm being informed that the powder brown died yesterday and now I don't know anything so I'm a combination of mad at my parents and freaked out over all my fish/inverts

And there's traffic

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back