20 Going On 90

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Well, im home, the only loss in the 90 gallon was the tang, the front has algae hut that's fine. The yellow polyps are dying and the bubble hasn't changed.

However, in the pico I lost my other crab, seeing as I can't find it and there are pieces of it everywhere.

I also was greeted upstairs in my new discus tank with a few missing fish and a dried up husk of a Marlboro red on the floor

*sigh*

It's not easy this fish malarkey. It looks like your having a bit of bad luck.
confused.gif

The crab could be a shed.

Fun little rule of thumb for crab death...

If you can easily find the body... shed

If you can't easily find the body... dead

My porcelains have fooled me many times at 2am, sometimes even in the middle of the afternoon.

That being said, sorry about the tang that stinks. :(

That stinks. Unlucky. :sad:

My porcelains have also fooled me with sheds. They hide so well that its hard t find them.

I found the main part of the shell on the sand behind a rock, a leg on the highest ledge on a different rock, and bits and pieces elsewhere.
I couldn't get to thebother crabs body so it was munchies for the worms and all the pieces are still where they were ten days ago so Idk maybe it was shedding and moving around or it had trouble
Body? Like it looks like a dead crab but not really?

Should be just like what you see when your shrimp sheds/molts, same sorta thing.

-Tyler

Yeah ok then, porcelain is down for the count then considering I stole haven't seen it, and with a tank that small, its very hard to hide.

I go to the Lfs tomorrow so ill be able to see what's up with the tank considering that I can't find my test kits.

And I'm not doing anymore tangs in this tank, only one out of 3 have lived and I'd like to keep it at that.

Sorry GAB, stinks losing an animal. :( I think I've lost my panda goby and I've had him for a while. :(

L

So today I went to a tennis match and when I got back my dad said to look at The tank and inside was a gigantic powder brown. And by gigantic I mean easily the biggest fish in the tank by 3" long and 3" height wise. Poor thing can't even fit in the back behind the walls.
He told me he got the water tested and despite calcium being low, fish wise everything was ok, and that theybhad no idea why the tang died. My dad saw another tang at the store and wanted it and I told him I don't want it because no more tangs for me, and I was happy I still had yellow (the mimic tang)
Welp, surprise. And I have to say my clownfish don't care how big a fish you are they come after you, took a chunk out of the newbies tail (ironically they levelled it out because they bit off a part that was sticking out)
Unfortunately, yellow wasn't acting normal today, he was hiding a lot and barely ate anything, I also discovered that the brine shrimp had been left out and then re frozen, so maybe they ate bad food?

Yeah, so now I'm stuck with a big brown monster in my tank...

Oh no...

Please, pictures of the Leviathan.

L

Lights are off, ill have to wait till tomorrow, we are going back to the store to get water for a change, just in case.

The tang itself is really fat, and eating flake, pellet, algae, and meaty foods, so he was a good pick, albeit a big one.

Well, this morning as I was watching the Olympic tennis matches I went to check on the tank and I didn't see yellow right away, this sent me into panic mode and I eventually found him hiding in a very strange spot, so I knew something was up.
I come back an hour later to check again and he's even worse, I decide that I might as well try and product him and if he looks too bad, transfer him over to the 20 gallon so it doesn't pollute the tank and so I have a open doce to hopefuly try and help it out.
It took forever to catch it because I had to move rock and once I moved the rock he would very sluggishly hide somewhere else, when I caugt him I saw icy/white spot and he wasnt as plump as usual, and he was very dark
I put him in the 20 (same parameters, and for precaution I moved the decorator crab back to the now empty pico and the urchins back in the 90 since they didn't do anything wrong) and tried to feed him some garlic brineshrimp. He spat it out for the most part and was laying on the floor, there isn't anything else I can do other than hope he eats some more and gets rests, or dies.

Now because I had to catch him half the rockwork is in disarray or unstable so I had to move almost all the corals into buckets so I can rearrange it, I made some ledges so the sand bed isn't taken up by corals, it looks decent for now but I might change it when we do a water change later this week (for obvious reasons)

I also took the liberty of dragging the setosa as well as I could and I placed it upside down in the sand bed to bleach the rest and hopefully I don't have to deal with whatever sort of necrosis was going on with that thing.

Also accidentally knocked into the acro so there's a frag of that.

And one of the cardinals has a shredded fin, from what I don't know but he's eating so ill put something in for it to heal up and hopefully it will be a non issue.

The new powder brown is doing ok, for now. Keeping a very close watch on it
Plus the rearrangement allows him access to the back of the tank, minor plus.

Geez, you're having some bad luck right now, GAB. I'm sorry. :(

L

I am really sorry that you are having a hard time of it!

I think some of your problems may be down to the fish that you have. Tangs are very susceptible to ich & even more so when stressed. A 90g tank is not really big enough for tangs as they are free swimming fish & need lots of horizontal swimming space.

They should not really be kept in a tank that is less than 6ft long and will not do well in anything less long term. You may be ok with the yellow as they keep relatively small but the PB can grow very big & will be cramped in your tank.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back